what is with new guitar sound?

well i don't see what the problem is...i've been an Evergrey fan from the beginning, and personally i think the new cd is fantastic. i will agree that yes it is different in many ways compared to their previous releases, but it's still Evergrey. and Evergrey still kicks ass. and honestly the guitar tone is not that different..it's less subtle now i think, and some of the leads sound like something much different..a harsher sound kinda..hard to describe.
honestly my only complaint would be that it was quite short, coming only to 44:47. for having 12 songs, that's pretty short. but the songs i thought were still great. and the emotion that is always present in Evergrey songs is, of course, still there. and the lyrics, as always, are freakin awesome. the drums i felt somewhat left something to be desired, as they did less then they're capable of. so if anything was more commercial sounding i'd say it was the drums..but all in all i really like the cd and was glad to recieve my pre-ordered copy which, might i also add, is signed. \m/

It's the opposite, they used to play triaxis, now they play 5150.
But that's only for live.
In the studio it can be hard to tell cause they all those diffrent amps and cabs.

First I didn't like the sound, but now it's getting to me :)

Not a damn thing wrong with Evergreys new guitar tones. The disc absolutely smokes,even if not as heavy or progressive as past releases.Tom sounds fucking godlike,and the material is certainly there.
Dont fear,this disc is amazing.

Yes, it's a very good album no doubt about that, but as an "old-school" EG-fan I'm a little less excited 'bout this release, than say the first four wich had a much darker tone/feel to it if you know what I mean.

i can't stop listening to it. i love the new cd--i keep changing my mind about what my favorite track is hahaha

currently i've been listening At Loss for Words a lot...i freakin love that song!

i will agree though that the first four cds had a much darker feel. this still has a dark feel of it's own though, and although all their cds have been very emotional, this one seems to have a different kind of underlying theme somewhat similar to Inner Circle but a little more personal feeling, especially the very last track, the bonus track, Closure. anyone else heard it? what a great song--an absolute torrent of emotion. i love it.