What kind of metal should i play?

Black_Sheep

Lord Of The Winter Snow
Apr 26, 2008
Finland
Ok, so you all heard the quesion. Please don't think of me as an idiot.

The thing is, that i listen to lot's of different kinds of metal. I like prog metal, melodic death metal, death metal, power metal, black metal, folk metal, heavy metal, thrash metal...

I also play guitar. Have played for 7 years now. I have been in quite many bands and played some shows with them. Currently i have no band at all. I have never had my "very own" band where i could play songs that i have done. So. Im planning of putting together a metal band, in which i could play my own compositions.

But with so many influences, it's hard to choose what kinda stuff should we play? The thing why im asking, is because i want my new band to succeed. To actually do something great. And i don't want to play metal from any dying or underground genre and end up breaking up. Im not after fame and money don't get me wrong. I just want to achieve something with my band for once.

So. I have been thinking about Melodic Death Metal. Would that be a good choice? Is this genre dying or not? For the moment, i belive it is the only genre that could get us somewhere.

Comment, please.

:)

You don't need to confine yourself to any specific genre. I'm not in a band either, but I still write a lot of different stuff. When I do get a band going, I intend to incorporate several different influences, but I'll concentrate most heavily on a few in particular. Obviously, since it's a metal band, my primary style will be metal (specifically melodic metal and tech death), but I'm so drawn to orchestral, neo-folk and Asian music that I'll definitely incorporate elements of those, and probably feature non-metal tracks as well.

Also whenever people ask questions like 'what genre should I play!?!12' it just makes me think they're basically gonna rip off other bands from that genre intentionally or something.

Just write what you want to hear, who cares if you cross the borders of several different styles of metal. If the songs are good people will listen. Restricting yourself to a certain style of metal will just cripple your creativity. Trust me, I'm working on starting a brutal death metal band with a few friends of mine, and at first I tried to stay within the borders of brutal death. Problem is, I'm really influenced by other styles of metal and had a hard time writting in one particular style, so I ended up just letting the riffs flow out in my particular style. The songs so far are still brutal, but have a little black metal influence as well as a touch of prog. Still brutal, but I'm much happier with the material so far. Moral of the story is write music for yourself, not for a particular genre.

Like everyone else has said, don't limit yourself. There's no reason a band can't play multiple styles aside from this weird taboo around it. I would recommend you start writing, and play whatever you write.

there isnt really a correct answer here, personally i love melodic death/black metal ( even tho its hard to find really good bands/shows around here in MA as im sure user WeAreInFlames will agree) but its not what we want its what you want and what your writing style turns out to be it really boils down to 1. what you want to do and 2. if you can find a set of people who would help you make the music

As everyone says: If you cannot decide, then do not restrict your options.

If you start a "Black/Melodic Death/Power/Thrash/or-Whatever-specific-genre-you-choose Metal" band and you generate a fanbase, the majority of them would be very disappointed should you venture away from what they call "Black/Melodic Death/Power/Thrash/Whatever Metal."

If you establish yourself as a genre-pushing artist, your fanbase will view you as such. Also, don't genre-push in a way that betrays what you've done in the past, once you get the ball rolling after a couple years.
This would mean covering a lot of bases VERY EARLY in your career and hinting at what is to come. This way you don't have to initially say: "okay, we're a Melodic Death Metal band," and then suddenly after three albums saying: "uhh, nevermind... we're bored with that style, we want to do Symphonic Black Metal now. Sorry guys..."

EDIT: To further elaborate my point...
Not saying this applies to every metal fan out there, but do you expect many people would take well to a well established Thrash Metal band putting out slow-tempo songs with clean vocals? Wait a second...

Or you can look at Opeth...
They do all kinds of shit and Opeth fans still love it. Why? Because they've been hinting at it since their earliest work.

Because Opeth have never really changed and continue to release albums of almost the exact same length full of songs ranging from 6 to 12 minutes containing about 40 or 50 forgettable riffs and acoustic noodling bits strung together with a series of incredibly awkward transitions.

I mean, because they're progressive, man.

Follow your heart. The chances of making a living playing music is small, even if your band lands a record deal. The truth is, most bands have members that have other jobs as well.
If you truly can't decide for yourself, then maybe you should do the opposite of what you stated about "a dying style." For example, maybe you should try and resurrect "oldschool" aka "American style" powermetal. With Angel Dust and Tad Morose calling it quits, there aren't really a great deal f that style of great metal bands out there. There is, however a plethora of "melodic death metal" bands out there.

Bryant

Ok, so you all heard the quesion. Please don't think of me as an idiot.

But with so many influences, it's hard to choose what kinda stuff should we play? The thing why im asking, is because i want my new band to succeed. To actually do something great. And i don't want to play metal from any dying or underground genre and end up breaking up. Im not after fame and money don't get me wrong. I just want to achieve something with my band for once.

Comment, please.

:)

Tad Morose is not "officially" disbanded, but Urban Breed quit some time ago and is now the singer for both Bloodbound and Pyramaze. Daniel also left Tad Morose, so I am not sure exactly what Tad Morose we will be getting if any at all.

Bryant

Um...what? I just checked their website and myspace, says nothing about that, MA still lists them as active..dunno what you're on about. They just haven't released anything in 6 years.