What kind of guitar should I get?

Southern Man I Am

Fiend Club
Jul 16, 2002
Haysi, VA
Visit site
I was wondering what kind of guitar I should get? I play thrash in one band I am in and in the other band it is more of a power blues thing sort of like Down. I was wondering if there is a guitar that would be suited for both genres.

I also have a guitar I am thinking about fixing up. It is an old SG. If I was going to get it fixed up what kind of pickups would be suited for both genres if any?

Jackson. Anything Jackson would do you just fine.

US is the BEST.

BC Rich US is good too, so is Carvin.

Screw Ibanez, ESP and PRS...

Just my opinion of course...

How much you planning to spend?

Jacksons are OK to brilliant, but get a good USA one
Ibanez, same thing but get a Japanese made one with the good bridge. Avoid the Korean Models.
BCRich: same, only be a USA made one.

Don't know about ESP, but I guess it's pretty much the same.

ie: Don't buy the cheap budget versions of anything. You'll end up dissapointed. You get what you pay for...

Originally posted by ChickenScratch
You say your playing in bands already soyou should use the gear you already have. I personally play Carvins, Jackson, Gibson and Kramer. They are all great guitars, more of a shred vibe though.

I would advise against Ibanez and ESP.

Well I have a strat it was my first guitar and we are just in the jamming process right now. We have a few songs wrote. So I need something more than a strat.

Jackson. Like Lord K said, it doens't come with talent though...

There are guitars that come with the impression of talent... PRS and ESP... avoid at all costs! :lol:

I'm biased toward Carvin. You can pick the wood for the body, the neck, etc. You can pick different pickups. They have ebony fret boards. Basically you get way more than you should for the money. You custom order them, if you want. Doesn't take long to get one either.

Your SG might actually be a good choice for your music, though. Throw some EMG's in it and go. You might also like some cheaper DiMarzio's for pickups.

Originally posted by Southern Man I Am
I also have a guitar I am thinking about fixing up. It is an old SG. If I was going to get it fixed up what kind of pickups would be suited for both genres if any?

Unlike the others, I love SG's. My vote would be to fix yours up if the neck is good, and if it's not....buy another SG! As far as pickup's go, when I asked the same question about my SG Special, alot of people recommended Gibson P90's. I've also heard good things about the Gibson Iommi Signature Humbucker. However, evidently there was a bad batch of them going around, so I'd buy it from a reputable dealer rather than Ebay.
I have 7 guitars, and I dig my SG the best. Plus I prefer guitars with 2 volume and 2 tone knobs. Turn the upper volume and tone knobs down (to taste) with the toggle in the "up" position for cleaner meatier tone, than kick it all the way down with the lower two knobs cranked to start shreddin'!

Sabbath, C.O.C. and AC/DC can't all be wrong!

Ok, for money saves,fast playing, and good sound, you should get an Ibanez at 650$ US. Even the lower Korean models do great, trust me.

About Jackson, get away from the Korean, it's litterally crap, no big sound and no play cumfort. Jackson are good at Japanese manufacture. It's about 1000$ US today, it was waaay less a few years ago.
The US Jackson of course it's over than 3000$ for all US models.

ESP is kind of the elite guitars, don't touch the low LTD models.
I wish I could have an old Eclipse when I get signed...

If you're metal, you don't need fenders much. Don't take any gibson LP custom unless you're sure of what you're doing...

the rest of the guitar marks I don't know much about them

MOST USA Jacksons can be bought BRAND NEW for under $1400. The Imports vary anywhere from $300-$900 or so. These are US prices. To have one sent to a different country of course would add about 30% to that price.

IF you buy from a dealer overseas, they'll FUCK YOU HARD AND DRY. Buy from a reputable dealer in the US and have it imported yourself. You'll save $1000 or more.

Stay way from ANY korean guitar. Low end Jacksons were made in India, not Korea, though some mid-90's Charvels (the CX series) were made in Korea.

Some of the Indian Jacksons may still be out there, just make sure to look at the stickers on them to see where they are made.

Any of the USA Select or Custom Shop guitars WILL say MADE IN USA on the headstock. I've got 5 of them. Worth every penny.

I'd avoid Ibanez like the plague.