What releases are u looking for this year?

Oath Bound wasnt a snorefest...but in retrospect, now that the hype and anticipation i had for it has completely passed...i can now see that it fell short of their usual level of quality. the production left something to be desired, and some of the songs were just not exciting, and the ones which were, still had this feeling of "ive heard this somewhere before" more or less. but its still going to be in regular rotation for a summoning release, but i just didnt enjoy it as much as stronghold or mortal heroes.

oath bound is definitely among summoning's best. there have been way better releases in metal this year. enslaved's and katatonia's new albums, for instance.

NineFeetUnderground said:
Oath Bound wasnt a snorefest...but in retrospect, now that the hype and anticipation i had for it has completely passed...i can now see that it fell short of their usual level of quality. the production left something to be desired, and some of the songs were just not exciting, and the ones which were, still had this feeling of "ive heard this somewhere before" more or less. but its still going to be in regular rotation for a summoning release, but i just didnt enjoy it as much as stronghold or mortal heroes.

It certainly isn't as instantly hooky as either of those albums. On the other hand, it doesn't have the underlying rock 'n roll weaknesses that were creeping in on those releases either, and is much more complex in its execution (especially in the return to a more densely orchestrated, often polyphonic sound, rather than the simpistic keyboards-doubling-the-guitar-line tactic overused on Stronghold and Let Mortal Heroes Sing Their Fame). Oath Bound is the logical extension of what Summoning was doing with Dol Guldur and Nightshade Forests, and, as such, is a welcome return to more expansive and creatively fertile terrain than the more pared down releases that were immediate followups to those masterful sessions. I still slightly prefer Dol Guldur (which seems to have slightly stronger melodies) but the attachment is mostly a nostalgic one. In most ways, Oath Bound is its match, in some even its superior (particularly in its greater range of creative voices and its more dramatic presentation).

youre not very much pro-progression are you?

I'm very much pro-progression. But I'm only for genuine progression, i.e. fully realized ideas. I don't, for instance, consider a random patische of incongruous elements for the sake of Ibeing 'different' (in the vein of say, recent Enslaved) to be progression, nor do I consider taking the most recognizable elements of a style, reducing them to an exaggerated formula, then banging them out all hooky rock 'n roll style (the previous two Summoning albums, which, incidentally, I enjoy, despite their shortcomings) to be a step forward.

I do, on the other hand, consider something like Oath Bound - where the best elements of a band's previous work are explored in greater depth and with more varied execution - to be 'progression' in the best sense.

name some bands you do feel have "progressed" without doing it for the sake of doing so.

Summoning
Burzum
At one time, Slayer
Early career Immortal
Early career Therion
Hellhammer/Celtic Frost (prior to Into the Pandemonium, the new album is a step in the right [new] direction as well - and somehow I'd forgotten it was released this year as well)
Pre-Angel Rat VoiVod
Dead Can Dance
Robert Fripp
Darkthrone over the course of their first four albums

My Man Mahmoud said:
It certainly isn't as instantly hooky as either of those albums. On the other hand, it doesn't have the underlying rock 'n roll weaknesses that were creeping in on those releases either, and is much more complex in its execution (especially in the return to a more densely orchestrated, often polyphonic sound, rather than the simpistic keyboards-doubling-the-guitar-line tactic overused on Stronghold and Let Mortal Heroes Sing Their Fame). Oath Bound is the logical extension of what Summoning was doing with Dol Guldur and Nightshade Forests, and, as such, is a welcome return to more expansive and creatively fertile terrain than the more pared down releases that were immediate followups to those masterful sessions. I still slightly prefer Dol Guldur (which seems to have slightly stronger melodies) but the attachment is mostly a nostalgic one. In most ways, Oath Bound is its match, in some even its superior (particularly in its greater range of creative voices and its more dramatic presentation).

lol, were you fisting yourself when you wrote that?
black metal is black metal, not classical music.

My Man Mahmoud said:
Summoning
Burzum
At one time, Slayer
Early career Immortal
Early career Therion
Hellhammer/Celtic Frost (prior to Into the Pandemonium, the new album is a step in the right [new] direction as well - and somehow I'd forgotten it was released this year as well)
Pre-Angel Rat VoiVod
Dead Can Dance
Robert Fripp
Darkthrone over the course of their first four albums

ok, i now realize i never have to really speak with you again. for a while, i almost had trouble discerning you being well spoken with you having taste. but that is 0k.