What scales do Steve and Jeff usually use for soloing?

Det Som Engang Var

Viking Bastard
Jun 3, 2005
Houston, TX
Sorry for being a n00b. I only know the pentatonics, harmonic minor, and major scales. From listening to the albums I cant really recognize them using any of those.

of course they're using a lot of stuff, but most of the time it's either phrygian (sp?) minor (5th mode of regular minor), phyrgian dominant (5th mode of harmonic minor - the yngwie scale basically) as well as diminished scales (4 minor triads stacked above, like diminished arps)
jeff's also using a lot of short (as well as not so short :lol:) sweeping sections
hope this helps some.....

Yngwie quote - "I have a philosophy: More is more, less is less. The idea that less is more is illogical."

Messiah, if you're not familiar with those scales there are a number of links we could point you to, just say the word...

Jeff

Actually it would be nice to get a small heads up on online theory material here. If you have any good links to point us toward, in terms of sites that go over various modes, excercises etc. that'd be great.

Moonlapse said:
Actually it would be nice to get a small heads up on online theory material here. If you have any good links to point us toward, in terms of sites that go over various modes, excercises etc. that'd be great.

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/

Pretty good site, I guess most of you are already familiar with it though.

don't forget the wide and fast vibrato as well as the wah.

ah yeah, did i mention that you can only play it on an EMG loaded gibson les paul? also, if you're neither a redneck nor into biker stuff, you might as well save yourself the trouble and give it up while you still have a chance, or you might kill yourself :lol:

Don't forget the TS knockoff pushing the JCM800 through EV 100watts. If you can hear anything after you learn that note, you're not loud enough.

Jeff

There a few more things you forgot with that scale ....

You need to lose weight and use alot of hairspray. Afer you practice the scale you have to buy a harley, lose the hairspray. Not shave for 5 years and then be sure to wear alot of denim and leather.....

After that you will be the MESSIAH OF ALL THAT IS THE PINCH HARMONIC !!!