What Song Would You Love Saxon To Play Live?

nightwar

Jun 8, 2004
Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
OK - Biff and the Boys are bound to play all the Classics during their tour, but which song would you love them to play? A song that you are really fond of but have never heard played live, or not played for years and years!

I would like to hear them play 'Sailing To America' - a song that really needed to grow on me. I didn't appreciate it for a long time, but it's like a classic Rush track!
'Midnight Rider' is a classic that needs playing!
The first album has stuff on it I would love to hear live - 'Judgement Day', 'Big Teaser' and mosty importantly 'The Frozen Rainbow'!
What do you guys and gals reckon?

Cool, Mr Macc!
I was also thinking of Militia Guard!
That is such an underated song! I'm sure Quinny could still take that solo though!

There is one song I would like to hear from the 'Destiny' album (only the one, I'm afraid!) and that's 'Ride Like The Wind'.
Also, I have always thought that 'Northern Lady' is a class song. If it was performed by a popular artist, it would've been a huge hit!

Man, 'To Hell & Back Again' & '6th Form Girls'! Classic!
Saxon are so bloody underated, aren't they?
'Strong Arm' was my 1st Saxon album and I take ot for granted. I forget jsut how great the songs are on it! 'The Hungry Years' is another class song!
And, reminding me of this album, how can I forget the 7" that got me into Biff and Co: 'Wheels Of Steel'! Now I have always liked that song, but it was the B-side that I really rocked to, and it would be great to hear it live - 'Stand Up And Be Counted'!
Hey, SaxonmcKenz - is 'Walking through Tokyo' a rare track or something? I don't thinl I've heard that track.

There is another track that made me really get into Saxon a couple of years back and I'm not sure whether it is done anymore - 'Warrior'.
It was when I heard this song that I decided to check out who played drums for Saxon!
'See The Light Shining' is pure class. If you can call a song Prog Metal, this is it!
'Sea Of Life' is a really nice piece of songwriting, but I think the track's length will make sure it ain't played live.
'Suzie, Hold On' is another track I would go mad for if played live. Again, this would've been a huge song if played by another artist! Noone really metions this song, but its one of my fave tracks from 'Wheels Of Steel'!

Walking through Tokyo is on the 'Dogs of War' album nightwar. Think I would go mental if Saxon played 'Stand up and be counted' and 'See the light shining'!

Saxon actually played 'Warrior' during the last tour. It was part of the Battlecry/drum solo medley if I remember right.

Thanks Mr Paxo! How could I miss that! I must admit 'Walking Through Tokyo' is my least favourite on the entire DOW album. I'm afraid that I have usually skipped that song when listening to it, hence me forgetting its existance!
I reckon, for pure energy, they ought to drop 'BattleCry' and play the whole of 'Warrior'! The song is pure SAXON!
Talking of the 'Dogs' album, however, I've always loved the last track, 'Yesterday's Gone'. Glockler is a GOD on that track! Another great track from that album is 'Big Twin Rolling'. There is so much energy in that performance and would make a great live performance!
Patte - 'Can't Stop Rockin' would be very cool! I think 'Everybody Up' is a great choice! Imagine the heads that would start moving when that riff kicks in!
I still think 'Sailing To America' should be played. It would be a great encore song for a decent sing-a-long!

Sea of Life would be number one on my wishlist. Suzie Hold On would be great as well, I read the suggestion above and decided to listen to it again; I'd forgotten how good it actually is.

On the other hand -- Biff and the boys, at their age, could not get away with playing Sixth Form Girls in the current climate, could they? Surely they would be arrested or something ;) If they're going to do that then they might as well do a cover of Samson's 'I Wish I Was The Saddle of a School Girl's Bike'!

You're right about 'Suzie Hold On'.
I know it isn't the normal kind of Saxon song, but I really think it is underated. It's not until you hear it again after a long time that you realise just what a great piece of songwriting it is.
You have a point about 'Sixth Form Girls'. It's a great song, but Biff is getting on a bit now. Mind you, this doesn't stop Brian Johnson. He can get away with being a dirty old man!

I'd like to hear Set Me Free, I'm On Fire and possibly Hole In The Sky, I don't know if these were performed live before but I've never heard them......

hell from the Destiny album, I really like Ride Like The Wind but I like I Can't Wait Anymore even better!!

How could I have let 'Hole In The Sky' get by me? That's a favourite of mine from 'Forever Free' and would sound great live. With that great intro riff, it would be a nice opener or encore starter!
'Set Me Free' is a nice idea - that would be a nice encore song.
'Ride Like The Wind' - I feel that this is, by far, the best song from 'Destiny' and would love to hear it live! Sure, it's commercial-sounding, but it's a great rock song. Biff could really get the audience ivolved with this one!
It's great to see that we all have different views and Saxon fans are intelligent enough to state their personal favourites - but I personally hope that the band don't do 'I can't wait anymore'. I've done my best, but I just can't get past that '80s Pop sound that cursed the band at that time!
I hope that they keep on with including 'Iron Wheels' in the setlist.

STALLIONS OF THE HIGHWAY, AND BURNING WHEELS, DALLAS 1PM

As we no we dont no what the new songs sound like yet but if they are shit hot id like saxon to play 7 or 8 songs live of the new album. when i saw em on the killing ground tour they only played 2 songs of the kg album.

and when i saw em on the innocence tour they played 9 songs of that album, we all like to hear the classics live but im sure saxon can fit a few more new songs onto there set and still have room for all us classic favs as well

ROCK ON SAXON

Yeah - I agree Mr 747.
There is plenty of time for Biff and the boys to do a 'best of' tour.
I am always a little disappointed when a band only playes a few songs from their new album, but then there is the problem of fitting in the new songs with all the classics that fans expect. This problem only happens to bands like Saxon that have been around for awhile and have a great catologue of classics. It must be a real mind-bender for the band to come up with an agreed setlist!
I'm off to see Rush next month at Birmingham and they've the same problem, but they've worked someting out. They do not have a support act - they just play two sets. Reviews have been pretty good so far and I will see how it goes.
I recently saw Marillion in Wolverhampton - they suprised me by playing virtually everything from their new album. It was a good gig, but they sure left a ton of classic material out of the set.
Personally, depending on the strength of the new material, I reckon Saxon ought to play at least five/six tracks from the new album.

How about Bapshooap.It would be great to see them play it live and would be one for the hardcore fans like us.Run for yor lives,To hell and back again,and Kracatoa(sic) is a lost Saxon classic also I think Backs to the wall could be dusted and rocked up.As for Ride like the wind I suppose I shall need a piss at some point.

WILKS said:
How about Bapshooap.It would be great to see them play it live and would be one for the hardcore fans like us.Run for yor lives,To hell and back again,and Kracatoa(sic) is a lost Saxon classic also I think Backs to the wall could be dusted and rocked up.As for Ride like the wind I suppose I shall need a piss at some point.
Rock on Wilks! Bapshooap! do you want it louder, louder, LOUDER!!!:headbang: :headbang: