What string guages are bands such as un flames and nevermore using?

12-56's are nice if you tune down more than a step. I tune to dropped C and use 13-56 Dean Markleys and I like them pretty well. I just put some of those GHS Zakk Wylde strings on my guitar last night, though. They are skinny top heavy bottom strings and they are like 11, 13, 19, 42, 52, 60's or something like that. The top 3 strings are thick as all hell and the lower 3 are almost too thin, though. But, man, at dropped C, those 3 low strings are tight. The tension is sooo nice it makes it easier to play around the thicker guage.

nwright said:
12-56's are nice if you tune down more than a step. I tune to dropped C and use 13-56 Dean Markleys and I like them pretty well. I just put some of those GHS Zakk Wylde strings on my guitar last night, though. They are skinny top heavy bottom strings and they are like 11, 13, 19, 42, 52, 60's or something like that. The top 3 strings are thick as all hell and the lower 3 are almost too thin, though. But, man, at dropped C, those 3 low strings are tight. The tension is sooo nice it makes it easier to play around the thicker guage.

shall i get a pack of those?! could be a plan... as i'd still like to shred around higher haha and value my fingers LOL

iirc, in flames use really thick strings, like 13 or something. jeff has the basic 10-46 gauge for the top 6 strings as far as i can recall, but used to use an .80 low B - that's a friggin bass string a.k.a. telephone cable :lol: nowaday's he's back to .70 low B

i'm all over the place as far as string gauges are concerned...4 out of 5 guitars are tuned to D (my 7string is tuned to Eb for the corpse and nevermore stuff ;) ), and i'm using anything from 10-46 to 12-56. the 10 is nice for soloing and wacky bendings, but the low D is too flubby when hitting the strings hard, it goes out of tune quickly. the 12-56 set i briefly used was great for rhythm playing, but soloing was almost impossible :) so right now i'm torn between 11-49 and 10-52, favoring the 10-52 set.

"but Jeff runs a 70 for the low B, while Steve runs a 64."
actually, that's quite an interesting point. i wonder how steve can get away with a .64 gauge low B, considering how hard he attacks the strings. jeff seems to have a much lighter touch, i bet he could use a .56 low B without running into tuning issues :D

In Flames are DR endorser and they use 13-60 in C and 13-65 in drop A.
Jeff and Steve use both 10-52 with 70 for the 7th string (Steve explain that he switched to 70 on his forum).

I just tested the Zackk Wylde 70s and they re-ripped my guitar wide open.
:headbang:

I had thrown it against the wall years ago and had to re-glue the neck. We did it so good I forgot about it until a couple days ago. I couldn't figure out why the guitar kept going in and out of tune. HAHA

Man, I wish I could find DR's in thicker gauges...Best I can do around here is 52's, but I need at least a 56.

DR's 60 is a bass string...I think the only brand that make string over 56 is GHS (Zakk wylde sets)...over 56, it's bass string.

Björn is actually playing Elexir strings exclusively since he's allergic to nickel.

::XeS:: said:
In Flames are DR endorser and they use 13-60 in C and 13-65 in drop A.
Jeff and Steve use both 10-52 with 70 for the 7th string (Steve explain that he switched to 70 on his forum).

Yeah I guess. I'm still surprised since the scale of the Hellraiser Jeff plays would be longer than a standard guitar. I use 10's on mine at the moment (I think, haven't changed factory strings.. yeh I know, murder) and I find it pretty challenging to get those 3 semitone + vibrato bends.

just building up finger strength as well, it always gets me watching opeth's dvd when you see mike playing one of the solo's in the studio and the bend's he's doing look so fucking easy, like the strings are like gauge 7 or something, and he use's 10's in standard

cobhc said:
just building up finger strength as well, it always gets me watching opeth's dvd when you see mike playing one of the solo's in the studio and the bend's he's doing look so fucking easy, like the strings are like gauge 7 or something, and he use's 10's in standard

in fact it's the first solo you see him play