what the fuck happened to metal mags

alpha666

Rev. J ROCK!
Mar 21, 2002
Gold Coast
www.sweetdecay.com
Australia used to have some cool metal mags that were avalable at news agents all over the place.
zines like In Your Face and Rebel Razor. (i don't include hot metal or loudmouth because they wern't the best and they were very commercial)
i did do some writing for In Your Face but all of a sudden it was gone and i couldn't get a hold of the people responcible for the zine. (there was some very crap editing involved in the zine too)
but what happened??
any one know???????
:confused:

Dude -- Here's the story of both those magazines. I worked extensively on both of them.
Rebel Razor was a subsidiary of Sydney street press mag On the Street. It had the same staff, etc. The original RR publisher got the sack and the mag derailed. A bunch of us there put out a couple more issues, but then all the staff went on strike and the whole company went under. No more mag.

In Your Face was run by Warhead Records. They went belly-up at the end of 1999. Hence no more mag.

Mail me!

The existence of the internet wouldn't exactly inspire too many people to make mags these days. Whereas in the past people would buy mags for news and shit, nowadays we can just jump on the net. I still need my posters though!

Kerrang! and Metal Hammer both apparently outsell NME in the UK now. Pity neither of them are metal mags anymore, otherwise it might be something to get excited about. :)

Hot Metal turned bad for the last two to three years of publication b4 that it was awesome mag to get.
I also agree that the internet has a lot to do with the current trend.
A mag to get however is one called Power Play(not the pc one) it comes with a free cd.If you go to the city often i have got QVB Newsagency to get a few copies in each month. I will post a message here when the next issue is there.
This is all if you live here in Sydney.

I just saw that you live on The GOld Coast but I would gladely get it for you and send it up if your newsagency can't get it.If you go and ask them to get a mag in they generally can get it for you.
We can wrk out something either you reimburse me or send me burnt cd's or videos in exchange.:D

Originally posted by Spiff
Kerrang! and Metal Hammer both apparently outsell NME in the UK now. Pity neither of them are metal mags anymore, otherwise it might be something to get excited about. :)

Kerrang outsells NME, yeah, by about 5000 copies a week. I've seen the figures.Kerrang sells around 75,000 copies, NME does 70,000 and Metal Hammer sells 40,000 a month. Terrorizer sold about 10,000 a month about 3 years ago. Dunno what it sells now. And I heard 15,000 metioned in connection with Metal Maniacs.

I used to love Hot Metal. I stopped buying it when they put the price up to $5 and bands like fucking Silverchair on the cover. It's just not metal!!!

Originally posted by Koichi
and you haven't been attracted to my avatar why????

That coif on top of your head just doesn't do it for me.Plus creatures that were once seen as icons of television that i actually saw as pathetic don't leave much in the way of wicked thoughts;) .
A girls gotta do what she's gotta do!