What To Use?

NathanSoulfracture

myspace.com/soulfracture
Aug 26, 2004
www.soulfracture.co.uk
My bands hitting the studio in the next week or two and ive asked what mics are available and this is the list:

3 x Seinheisser e604 (Clip on's)
1 x Shure SM58
2 x Shure SM57
1 x AKG D112
2 x Rhode NT1
2 x AKG C1000

Now i was wondering if anyone could tell me which microphones would give the best results on a 5 piece Drumkit with 2 Crash Cymbals and a Ride Cymbal.

Im thinking about using an SM57 on the snare, the 3 e604's on the Toms and im obviously gonna use the D112 on the Kick, i just dont know which to use for overheads and should i mic the hi-hat up aswell or let the overheads take care of that? if anyone has any suggestions or would like to offer an alternative to what ive mentioned im using then go ahead and let me know. cheers.

My opinion is (for better flexibility during the mix) : use the AKG for the overheads (or the Rode), trying to get as little hats and snare on it as possible, and mic the ride and the hats with the 2 remaining condenser mics. You could also use one SM57 for the snare bottom if you don't want to trigger it.

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
My opinion is (for better flexibility during the mix) : use the AKG for the overheads (or the Rode), trying to get as little hats and snare on it as possible, and mic the ride and the hats with the 2 remaining condenser mics. You could also use one SM57 for the snare bottom if you don't want to trigger it.

well im gonna run the snare track through drumagog and blend in a triggered snare probably the fat city one. How would you suggest i place the overheads? ive heard some techniques before saying to place the mic at a 45 degree angle and have it pointing away from the kit, have you used this technique before?

Well it depends on the drumkit, and the number of cymbals and the volume of each of them... You wouldn't believe how I sometimes have to place the overheads to get a consistant cymbal volume (will be better when I'll have one mic and channel per cymbal ;)).