What vocal mic for 300-400 with a flat eq?

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
Finally upgrading from my sp b1, 300-400. For screaming And singing. I'd really like something with a flat eq, not that annoying 5db 5-6k bump some have.

So many damn choices

Shure sm7b
At at4033 (or 4050?)
Mxl
Akg
Blah blah

AT 3035 is flatter than any of the 40 series LDC's. AT4050 is pretty flat though with just little bumps. 4033 and 4040 both have pretty aggressive presence boosts.

I really like the SM7B but it's not mega flat.

AT 3035 is flatter than any of the 40 series LDC's. AT4050 is pretty flat though with just little bumps. 4033 and 4040 both have pretty aggressive presence boosts.

I really like the SM7B but it's not mega flat.

3035 you say? I might get one of these. Traded my 4033 and some cash to Mark (Metaljonesy) for his SM7B. Planned another 4033, but the 3035 might meet my needs just as well.

3035 you say? I might get one of these. Traded my 4033 and some cash to Mark (Metaljonesy) for his SM7B. Planned another 4033, but the 3035 might meet my needs just as well.

I used that SM7 to re-track some vocals I did a few months ago with a 3035, I did use a different pre but I could send you the comparison between the two if you wanted?

SM7B definitely. It's not hyped sounding. The highs are smooth. Many vocals tracked with it fit in the mix well with very little EQing needed.

I used that SM7 to re-track some vocals I did a few months ago with a 3035, I did use a different pre but I could send you the comparison between the two if you wanted?

That'd be cool to hear yeah.

I'm keeping the SM7... it's not even arrived yet. But I want to have an LDC for acoustic recording, room micing and for a different vocal mic option.

I love how smooth yet detailed that mic sounds. It always gets a good rap for growls or any agressive vocals, though hearing/ seeing that all the growls and cleans are done in the one take in that vid is a pretty good advertisement for it as an all round vocal mic.
I've also heard it in use on the EP of a local band for completely clean vocals and it sounds just as good there too.

Hey all, long time lurker, first time giving my 2 cents...

I had a chance to track heavy and singing vocals with both, the sm7b and the at3035, I really like both of them on vocals, easy to sit in the mix with little work. I've recently used the 3035 as a room/overhead type, right above the drummer's head pointing at the center of his kit and the results were really impressive, to say the least. For the price, I would get the 3035 for sure. But if you can swing the sm7b as well, I would not pass on it, great mic to have!

DMG

Yeah, I liked the 4033. Did a good job on all of those things. I'll see what cash I've got after my next trip to Amsterdam :)