What was your first gig?

Bearintown

New Metal Member
Apr 20, 2003
Visit site
Going to see Motorhead this week. Which reminded me that they were the first concert I saw (although the support band Weapon were actually the first band) on the Ace of Spades tour in 81.
They were late coming on stage as they had to fly up from London where they had been recording for Top of the Pops! How times change.
Thing I remember most was the VOLUME!!! still by far the loudest gig I've ever seen, ears were ringing for two days after.
Anyone got any good memories of their first time at a concert?

Van Halen - Rainbow Theatre, London 1978. After blowing Sabbath off stage on the Never Say Die tour, a mate of mine dragged me to see VH, although I was not into Metal as such back then. Well, that was it - quite possibly the best show I have ever seen - even by todays standards, and a lifelong love of all things Metal!!

Don't throw stuff at me, but my first gig was Dan Reed Network In Liverpool when I was about 15........ ewwwwwww :ill:

But the 3rd band I saw was Cannibal Corpse!!! And they kicked ass!!! :hotjump:

My first gig was Status Quo and Waysted in 1986 at the Cornwall Colleseum.

Still see Quo ever year, despite the fact they've only made one good album in 21 years. Still a good live band though if you like your boogie.

My first gig was UFO..The Wild, The Willing and The Innocent Tour in 1980 at Middlesbrough Town Hall.

Bearintown..I also saw Motorhead on the Ace of Spades tour. You were right..I had never heard anything so loud in all my life. Mind you I was only 15 at the time!!

AC/DC in Manchester in about 1999, they had Backyard Babies as support, it was a great show, I get splashed by Angus' sweat as I was right at the very front, don't know if that is good or bad.after that was probably Pulp :yell: , my ex used loved them, not brilliant but it was not bad, probably Blaze after that or Diamanthian.

Eagle said:
Armoured Heart & Saphire. Hull City Hall. I think it was 1986. Saphire later went on to become Reanimator. Anyone remember them?
OMG!! I remember Reanimator! Talking of Hull bands what about Salem? Do you remember them?

Then of course there was Pegasus, who turned into Kashmir, who turned into Outland who turned into Rise who turned into Infobia!!!!! I think that's how it goes. I might have missed out a few incarnations. No doubt Alby Raunch will put me right!! Happy Days!

:D

sf said:
OMG!! I remember Reanimator! Talking of Hull bands what about Salem? Do you remember them?

Then of course there was Pegasus, who turned into Kashmir, who turned into Outland who turned into Rise who turned into Infobia!!!!! I think that's how it goes. I might have missed out a few incarnations. No doubt Alby Raunch will put me right!! Happy Days!

:D

Happy days indeed.

We even had a respectable pub in Lazers.

Eagle said:
Happy days indeed.

We even had a respectable pub in Lazers.
If you're old enough you remember Lazers as Trog bar. Brilliant monday nights out with sticky carpets hehe...

I roadied for Re-animator for a while, did the Candlemass "Tales of creation" tour as well as many others with legends like Acid Reign, Lawnmower Deth, Xentrix and some band called Sabbat:p

My first metal gig was Ozzy Osbourne at Hull city hall on the first Blizzard tour with Randy Rhoads. Can't remember the date (1980?) but Budgie were the support act.

Fear Factory septmber 98 (i think) in glasgows barrowlands. This was back when Glasgows metal scene was smaller and friendlier now with the advent of new metal it got big and its full of arseholes that go to gigs for the sake of going to gigs and get wasted and ruin the night for many. Baack then if you got knocked over in the crowd people helped you up now your lucky if they dont stand on you :/

Bearintown said:
Thing I remember most was the VOLUME!!! still by far the loudest gig I've ever seen, ears were ringing for two days after.
In terms of loudest gig I've been to, that was easily Manowar at Hammersmith Odeon. I had 7 days of ringing ears (yes, I was starting to get worried after the first few!). Incidentally, speaking of Motorhead, my girlfriend managed to fall asleep through them at full volume, again at Hammersmith. I had to wake her up to see the bomber rig, though :) Admittedly, she was ill, but it's still quite an impressive feat!

Saw Motorhead last night at Newcastle. Impressive turnout the, City hall looked full.
Volume was less than impressive, barely average I would say and certainly no ear ringing today!
Set was Ok quite a few lesser known songs, but no Motorhead or Bomber. Set lasted the usual 80 minutes or so. All in all an average night.