what were the best movies of 2007? and most anticipated for '08?

No Country for Old Men (JK, if it's playing anywhere now, RUN, absolutely outstanding, just be sure to pay attention every single step of the way - it should be easy though, since it's mesmerizing, particularly Javier Bardem's one-of-a-kind unforgettable performance)

Will do.

Forgot about Hot Fuzz, so excellent.

Also, another one for the most anticipated list:

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=i3TuClW65s8[/ame]

YES. Finally more horror from Spain in the vein of Devil's Backbone. :headbang:

This is great news, because as I was at the theater for AvP:R there was a trailer that started off with some creepy things and then "BY GUILLERMO DEL TORO" so I was all giddy for another horror film.....

but then it ended up being Hellboy 2 :(

edit: also just was glancing at his imdb page and I see H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness (2010) :kickass:

300 + hot fuzz

not released in 2007 but really enjoyed 'Old Boy'
korean movie, check it out if you haven't already

yer man that plays peter parker is a cunt
such a whiney wee bastard

looking forward to the new batman,

This is great news, because as I was at the theater for AvP:R there was a trailer that started off with some creepy things and then "BY GUILLERMO DEL TORO" so I was all giddy for another horror film.....

but then it ended up being Hellboy 2 :(

I never liked Hellboy 1, and I'm a huge del Toro fan.

Here's an excerpt from the Fangoria review for The Orphanage:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As producer of the new Spanish chiller THE ORPHANAGE, Guillermo del Toro proves to possess as keen an eye for other filmmakers’ material as he does in the movies he creates himself. And while it shares a few thematic concerns with del Toro’s past work (especially THE DEVIL’S BACKBONE), director J.A. (Juan Antonio) Bayona makes his feature debut very much his own. A classically styled ghost story in the tradition of THE OTHERS and THE SIXTH SENSE, and superior to both, THE ORPHANAGE (which plays this month at the Toronto and New York Film Festivals ahead of its U.S. release in December from Picturehouse) will also provide the introduction for many Stateside viewers to actress Belén Rueda, whose compelling lead performance will insure that they won’t quickly forget her.
[/font]

Tobey Maguire has ALWAYS been a terrible Spiderman. It's a shame he got cast because the films are a success due to the spiderman character, not Tobey, but now we're stuck with him. Granted, the screenplays fail him too but the fact that he's not much more than a hobbit makes it worse. They might as well stick Frodo up there.

300 - possibly the coolest looking movie I've seen. Some of the shots were just amazing.

Bourne Ultimatum - never been a huge fan of spy movies, but these are just so intense.

3:10 to Yuma - even Crowe's brilliant performance couldn't save this. It was an average film at best, until the whole thing falls apart at the end and becomes a silly, shoot 'em up buddy film.

American Gangster - vastly overrated. Two great actors, one long, boring movie.

Knocked Up - solid, at best.

Superbad - possibly the most overrated comedy of all-time

I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry - not sure if it's because I went it with such low expectations, or because I find both these guys hysterical, but definitely the funniest movie I saw all year.

Disturbia - solid to good

Zodiac - this movie was painfully long. Might have been entertaining, if they cut it by an hour.

Grindhouse - tons of fun.

Mr. Brooks - William Hurt makes this movie.

The Reaping - god awful.

Hostel Part II - surprisingly good. I thought they were just cashing in on the success of its predecessor, but this was a very enjoyable horror flick.

Eastern Promises - watched it last night. Very good. Slow, but well told.

Black Snake Moan - excellent. Granted, in large because Christina Ricci is absurdly sexy.

Zod

I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry - not sure if it's because I went it with such low expectations, or because I find both these guys hysterical, but definitely the funniest movie I saw all year.

Based on the cast and trailer, I would have gone to see this as a no brainer....but without exaggeration, almost every single review I read of this said it was quite possibly the worst film of the year. Entertainment Weekly [and they're not exactly high brow critics] went so far as to call it the worst movie of the last 10 years or something.

I don't know what's happened with American "frat pack" comedy in the last 24 months but it seems to have jumped the shark at Wedding Crashers. I wouldn't even call Knocked Up "solid", I would call it "crap". A total waste of time when you've got a masterpiece like Hot Fuzz sitting out on the DVD shelves.

Hot Fuzz was easily the best comedy of 2007 (if not one of the best movies). It was so good, it was almost as good as Shaun of the Dead. ('Er indoors thinks it was better).

Based on the cast and trailer, I would have gone to see this as a no brainer....but without exaggeration, almost every single review I read of this said it was quite possibly the worst film of the year. Entertainment Weekly [and they're not exactly high brow critics] went so far as to call it the worst movie of the last 10 years or something.
Really? I wasn't aware. Watched it with the wife and my niece, and we laughed throughout most of the movie. Like most comedies, it loses steam when they develop the plot in the last half hour, but I totally enjoyed it.

Hot Fuzz was easily the best comedy of 2007 (if not one of the best movies). It was so good, it was almost as good as Shaun of the Dead. ('Er indoors thinks it was better).
Added to NetFlix queue.

Zod

Hot Fuzz was a lot funnier than Shaun of the Dead ...

how can you NOT like Superbad? and like Chuck and Larry?

oh yeah ... The Heartbreak Kid was surprisingly a pisser ...

best movie of the year??? ... don't think I seen it yet ... but betting on No Country for Old Men