what were the best movies of 2007? and most anticipated for '08?

^ Not trying to overhype No Country... but it was the obvious winner for best cinema of my year. It was worth it alone seeing Tommy Lee Jones play a character completely different than he's done before. Oscar worthy stuff.

^ Not trying to overhype No Country... but it was the obvious winner for best cinema of my year. It was worth it alone seeing Tommy Lee Jones play a character completely different than he's done before. Oscar worthy stuff.

was there a lot of typical Coen black humor in No Country? ... or is it an old school drama?

I'm curious, what was funny about Superbad? Aside from the whole penis drawing thing, there was barely another funny moment in the whole movie.

Michael Cera may be the least funny person on the planet.

Zod

i don't know, probably the same thing that was funny for you in Chuck and Larry ... :loco:

Superbad had that HS desperation of fitting in as Dazed and Confused exhibited ... Dazed wins though by a long stretch.

was there a lot of typical Coen black humor in No Country? ... or is it an old school drama?

There was a lot of black humor, but the general tone was fairly serious and tense. They once again used a very noir framework, and melded the dark humor and seriousness of the material seamlessly.

Re: I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry: Fuck Adam Sandler movies. After being subjected to the likes of Happy Gilmore, 50 First Dates, The Longest Yard and suchlike by taste-defective friends and girlfriends alike, I can happily say that I hope that one-note chucklefuck never makes another movie, ever. Seriously - they are all exactly the fucking same. Adam Sandler plays a borderline sociopath prone to fits of incoherent rage who nevertheless manages to kid everyone that he's actually a charming, slackerish man-child with a romantic soul, despite the fact that he spends just about every minute of every movie making minorities, the disabled, ugly people, in fact everyone but himself the butt of every single goddamned joke. Oh look, Sandler's encouraged a walrus to vomit on someone because she's fat and ugly! How charming! And now look, bless him, he's mocking an illiterate immigrant for his inability to read! What's that? He got blind drunk and caused a multi-car pile-up and got sent to jail? Oh, the injustice!

Seriously. Fuck Adam Sandler.

Re: I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry: Fuck Adam Sandler movies. After being subjected to the likes of Happy Gilmore, 50 First Dates, The Longest Yard and suchlike by taste-defective friends and girlfriends alike, I can happily say that I hope that one-note chucklefuck never makes another movie, ever. Seriously - they are all exactly the fucking same. Adam Sandler plays a borderline sociopath prone to fits of incoherent rage who nevertheless manages to kid everyone that he's actually a charming, slackerish man-child with a romantic soul, despite the fact that he spends just about every minute of every movie making minorities, the disabled, ugly people, in fact everyone but himself the butt of every single goddamned joke. Oh look, Sandler's encouraged a walrus to vomit on someone because she's fat and ugly! How charming! And now look, bless him, he's mocking an illiterate immigrant for his inability to read! What's that? He got blind drunk and caused a multi-car pile-up and got sent to jail? Oh, the injustice!

Seriously. Fuck Adam Sandler.
So you did or didn't like, I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry? :loco:

Zod

Surprisingly enough, I never went to see it. The one and only Adam Sandler movie I would ever consider watching now is Punch-Drunk Love, because some of the reviews I've read suggest that the director managed to take the performance that Sandler typically delivers and actually shaped an affecting, nuanced film around it, rather than the inane cavalcade of piss-gags and 'it's funny because he's shouting!' moments that typically make up his canon.

fuck Punch Drunk Love ... and fuck Paul Thomas Anderson

Sandler was good in Spanglish though ... Paz Vega was a nice visual distraction as well.

Punch Drunk Love didn't work for me at all, but Boogey Nights and Magnolia were excellent dramas. I expect There Will Be Blood, with its highly unique direction, will be quite an intense film.

Maybe I'm a softie* at heart but I kinda liked Wedding Singer and 50 First Dates as far as date movies go. :loco:

I can see where people dislike Sandler movies but there is no doubt that the best SNL seasons were the Sandler years IMO.

*screaming h0m0

HARD EIGHT was pure brilliance, mostly because of Philip Baker Hall ... BOOGIE NIGHTS was great also, although a bit too long.

MAGNOLIA is my #1 most hated movie ever mostly because it felt so forced and just in your face artsy without apology ... didn't actually see Punch Drunk Love, thanks to Magnolia :loco:

Superbad had that HS desperation of fitting in as Dazed and Confused exhibited ... Dazed wins though by a long stretch.
Clearly I'm in the minority. And I was really looking forward to seeing it. I'm just lost as to why this movie is so widely praised. Oh well.

Maybe I'm a softie* at heart but I kinda liked Wedding Singer and 50 First Dates as far as date movies go. :loco:
Perhaps you just have a thing for Drew Barrymore... I know I do.

Zod