What Would The Best Opeth Forum Battle Be?

Originally posted by Oyo
Does your son like Pokemon, the new batman or whatever it's called, or any of the current day "Ninja Turtles"?

Hehehe...he's more into Zaboomafu, Arthur, Spongebob Squarepants (a household favorite), Theodore Tugboat, Thomas the Tank Engine (he LOVES this), Sesame Street. And his fave movies are anything Scooby Doo, the Brave Little Toaster, Batman (rarely, but he likes dressing up like him on Halloween).

I would say my son is very non-violent. He doesn't have any action figures (he's not interested in them). He loves his Brio Train Set, and pushing his trains and building towns and new track formations...

They have current day Ninja Turtles? I didn't even know that :lol: Gosh, I was so totally into Ninja Turtles when I was young..Michaelangelo was my favorite turtle, and do you remember the Nintendo game? hahaha :D

Originally posted by Sullen Jester
No, I just think it "wrong" to censor ANYTHING, and "wrong" to assume command of someones education.

Yes, I'll answer your "main" post in a minute.

Sullen, when a child is 4, 5, 6 years old, should he be given control of his own education? Do you think he has the brain capacity to educate himself? We as parents have more experience with life, and as parents, it is our DUTY to educate our children of this life experience. If we parents don't do it, the television will, or outside sources. What will the child learn? That their parent has no interest in their well-being or learning, and that he will have to search for guidance elsewhere. There's only so much learning you can do on your own - a young child needs at least the framework. Parents are the framework - we teach, they apply, and develop their own ideas, adjusting our teachings according to their personality. You are learning the guitar...are you learning completely on your own? How did you figure out what notes were what? Did they just magically pop in your head? Or are you using some kind of guide (reading a guitar book, internet site, etc.). We parents are the guides to our kids. And as guides we MUST use our experience to teach our children right from wrong, the meaning of love/hate, the meaning of life/death, and other things.

I don't know, I guess having a "life" can mean more than one thing. It can mean that you are active (and it looks like you are), focusing on what you love to do, learning (and you're doing that), and that's cool. If it's what you love to do, then do it! The other "life" is a social life - social, meaning interacting with people in real life situations. It's a scary thought to me that there are 1000's of people sitting in front of their computers, and have more meaningful relationships with the screen than with real life, flesh and blood human beings, people they can hug, talk to face to face, have arguments with, go out to the movies with, etc. I value this a great deal. Now if there are problems in the home and no one to turn to, I assume that the Internet would be the next best place to go for social interaction. It beats staying in your room in the dark, sad and alone. But then the problem is this - when you have a problem online, you can walk away from the screen, you can put people on ignore. You can't do that in real life. If you have a problem with someone close to you, it will follow you until it gets resolved or drives you nuts!

Putting people on ignore, does not solve anything. It just shows that you are not tolerant - and you will not even attempt to reason with them.

But, you can do that in "real life": you can avoid people, simply ignore them (not talking to them), etcetera, and it will have the same effect.

And, your scenario of huging, talk face to face etcera is an ideal scenario, assuming everyone was at okay-ends. A lot of people with depression, hate, misanthropy (Like me) would not be comfortable like this. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing my 'friends', but I really dislike going to the cinemas, theres so many people, nearly all are the "same", it's just so.. scary, at what mankind is turning into.

The 'net is also good for finding people, and communication. I really prefer 'meeting' people here, on the computer, than have to go through a lot of pain in person.

From experience, 'people' tend to be nicer when they get to 'know' me before they see me and make assumptions ("You can't judge a book by its cover" comes to mind, for some reason)

Originally posted by Oyo
Yes, I HAD a social life :rolleyes:
My social life now consists of going to a friend's house to play computer games or PS2. With the very occasional paintball game or something, I love playing paintball, and it's a very active sport, but it is so goddamn expensive that it's almost not worth playing. And organizes a game with your friends is harder than terrorist negotiations. I guess you could also consider school a social life, I enjoy it, and I have a lot of friends in school that I never see/talk to outside of school. I guess my point is, if it weren't for spending so much time on the internet, i'd probably be the jackass wannabe-football player kid throwing pens at the kid who likes anime, or maybe the former-nerd who thought he'd be cooler if he went "punk" by spiking his hair and wearing a Misfits shirt. I found all the music I like through the internet, I found how to not be an asshole, and how to interact with other people. It seems you'd learn how to interact with people in real life, but honestly, in real life you are too restricted by how "cool" you are, or how "dumb" you look, and stupid little things like that, and in real life you never have long, indepth conversations with other people. Only on the internet can you talk to someone about parenting for paragraphs upon paragraphs, sure you could talk a long time with a close friend, but I have about one friend I can talk to about stuff like this. If you talk to people so much on the internet, it REALLY carries over to real life, whenever someone is acting like an asshole to me, instead of flagging him off or insulting him back, I just shrug it off, or if necesarry just talk ot him honestly, which normally makes him look like an idiot.

Hey, you only need one good friend to have a social life. One good friend is like a diamond, and all others are rocks. One good friend is equal 50 bad ones. And you have a school social life. That's great! There's nothing wrong with not seeing them outside school. It's like me and my job. The people I work with I view as my peers/friends, but I don't see them outside of work (rarely - except at company picnics, etc.). There's definitely a hell of a social life at my job (or is it gossip? :lol: )

Originally posted by Sullen Jester

Putting people on ignore, does not solve anything. It just shows that you are not tolerant - and you will not even attempt to reason with them.

But, you can do that in "real life": you can avoid people, simply ignore them (not talking to them), etcetera, and it will have the same effect.

And, your scenario of huging, talk face to face etcera is an ideal scenario, assuming everyone was at okay-ends. A lot of people with depression, hate, misanthropy (Like me) would not be comfortable like this. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing my 'friends', but I really dislike going to the cinemas, theres so many people, nearly all are the "same", it's just so.. scary, at what mankind is turning into.

The 'net is also good for finding people, and communication. I really prefer 'meeting' people here, on the computer, than have to go through a lot of pain in person.

From experience, 'people' tend to be nicer when they get to 'know' me before they see me and make assumptions ("You can't judge a book by its cover" comes to mind, for some reason)

#1, I might sound stupid, (and I don't have my dictionary at hand (surprise, surprise) but what is misanthropy?

That last part is very, very true. I never thought of it that way. People DO get to know you without seeing you on the net, and they can't base their impressions on what you look like. *scratches chin and yells, EUREKA!*

Originally posted by Oyo
My "one good friend" isn't really that. He's just the ONLY friend I can get into a long conversation with, and it's usually pretty one-sided, as in I just say a lot of stuff and he's like "Yah, lol, ok" or short responses like that. I have NO good friends in the sense i'd like.

That sucks :cry: Well, you have the people here! You never lack for a response to what you say :)

It sounds scary. I'm the total opposite of that - I love people, I'm optimistic. Is that why you don't like that I'm censoring my son's TV? Does it have anything to do with your misanthropic view?

Sullen, when a child is 4, 5, 6 years old, should he be given control of his own education? Do you think he has the brain capacity to educate himself? We as parents have more experience with life, and as parents, it is our DUTY to educate our children of this life experience.

So I'm lazy, bad habit:

Back to the main part, I believe that everyone should be learning about these subjects, what can happen, where they lead to etcetera, and they can make thier own choices. It's freedom - unfortunately, some people abuse it. Life is a privelidge, yet people waste it in violence and wars.

Uhh... now that doesn't look right..

Umm..
Yes, I think a child should be in charge of his/her own education, when they've been taught how to make thier own choice. That is one things I believe that has been underrated.

We get taught one thing. We think of it as "right". We rarely have our own views, till we "mature".

If we were taught how to come apon a subject, accept other peoples views, form your own opinion, and do some research to get more third-party opinions, at a younger age (I had learned this just a little over a year ago, from Eddie Stratton - wise man ;)) would you think that we would be more "mature"? Instead of denying other peoples thoughts and saying "But my mummy told me THIS" or "But Mrs Cabbagebreath said THAT".

I've had this part of a discussion, and my friend Paul had said that, "More often than not, this could work, but the people trying to teach these qualities do not understand it themselves. They assume that their methods are accurate, and they may well be so, but they never attempt to find another way, a more efficient way.".

That statement has had a large effect on me. Whatever I do, if I find myself repeating an action, may it be mowing the lawn, or a battle in a strategy game, anything at all, I try another way, another method, to see what works better, what the draw backs of each one.

I want you to try something. You don't have to, you probably may think I am a retard* (* For want of a better word), just try this with your child for one day. Tell him what he wants to know, from a neutral perspective, and let him form his own opinions. Take him sight-seeing, or something along those lines, where he may see and come across a variety of topics he can learn from. At the end of the day, talk over with him. Ask him what he's learnt, what he thinks of the things you've been telling him (neutral, remember, let him form his own opinions). Tell him what YOU think, and with your reasons. Then ask him again, what he thinks.

Has his opinion changed from the first one? Is it closer to yours, now? Or is it different?

You are learning the guitar...are you learning completely on your own? How did you figure out what notes were what? Did they just magically pop in your head? Or are you using some kind of guide (reading a guitar book, internet site, etc.).

I teach myself - mainly by ear. When a friend writes a song, he plays it a few times, I try to play my part at it. If it sounds really off, he writes down the tabulature, and some times records it onto tape, and I come back with my part to the song. My friend Cameron has taught me the only thing I've ever learnt on guitars - how to write a tab.

Everything else I've taught myself - playing style, the fret-board, etc.

Cheers

Originally posted by Jannet
It sounds scary. I'm the total opposite of that - I love people, I'm optimistic. Is that why you don't like that I'm censoring my son's TV? Does it have anything to do with your misanthropic view?

This is where I am a hypocrite.

I'm an anarchist - I'm for freedom (freedom of speech, especially, as you can tell from all the remarks I made after the "argument" thead and you called me a child, and told me you were putting me on your ignore list), life, and equality. I'm for animal liberation, etc. etc.

I'm against the corporate powers that are fucking us and our world.

BUT, I hate people. I really, really, REALLY hate people. Some people don't even try to listen, don't even try to understand, no matter how much effort, no matter how much time is used trying to convince, them, hell, just trying to get them to accept that I have a view, an opinion, an objective. I'm criticised, I'm mocked, I'm hurt, by the people I would like to see free, that I would like to see thinking for themselves.

The anarchist side of me, is what you're seeing here - I want you to accept freedom.

The misanthropic side of me, is what makes me fail in others seeing my point.

A negotiator that hates the oppostion - bad negotiator.

BUT, I hate people. I really, really, REALLY hate people. Some people don't even try to listen, don't even try to understand, no matter how much effort, no matter how much time is used trying to convince, them, hell, just trying to get them to accept that I have a view, an opinion, an objective. I'm criticised, I'm mocked, I'm hurt, by the people I would like to see free, that I would like to see thinking for themselves.

Damn, I definintely know what you mean her, geez.

"Back to the main part, I believe that everyone should be learning about these subjects, what can happen, where they lead to etcetera, and they can make thier own choices. It's freedom - unfortunately, some people abuse it. Life is a privelidge, yet people waste it in violence and wars. "

I didn't write this, but if you already know, forget it.

If we were taught how to come apon a subject, accept other peoples views, form your own opinion, and do some research to get more third-party opinions, at a younger age

Hey, I agree with you on this to a certain extent. I had mentioned "Parents are the framework - we teach, they apply, and develop their own ideas, adjusting our teachings according to their personality." How much research can a 5 year old do and actually understand? Hell, I don't know. Perhaps our teaching strategy is all fucked up, and we are focusing too much on cartoons and the like, instead of taking them out to museums, art exhibits, etc. But have you really tried to take a 6 year old hyperactive child to one of these places? Not a pretty picture. The child learns nothing, because he's so hyperactive that he can't learn and take anything in. Remember when I told you that my son couldn't understand "acting" and that he believed the towers were "cool"?

Tell him what he wants to know, from a neutral perspective, and let him form his own opinions. Take him sight-seeing, or something along those lines, where he may see and come across a variety of topics he can learn from. At the end of the day, talk over with him. Ask him what he's learnt, what he thinks of the things you've been telling him (neutral, remember, let him form his own opinions). Tell him what YOU think, and with your reasons. Then ask him again, what he thinks.

Eww..you don't know my son very well..hehehe...My son is hyperactive. It is difficult for him to focus. I've tried what you said - I'll ask him his opinion on something - and he'll say, "How's your tummy, I love you mom." Or he gets tantrumy and doesn't want to do anything. Sullen, what you're asking me to do is (at the moment) impossible with my son. (He's been in early intervention since he was 2, so we've been trying to remedy that.) Now there's a woman at my job that has a 6 year old also - but totally different from my 6 year old. This child RELATES to what happened at the World Trade Center - since she experienced death at a young age, family death, etc. - and now she has nightmares and is terrified of plumbing fixtures. She screams and loses control at school if ANYTHING reminds her of what happened. My son, on the other hand, completely ignored it, and only commented on the "oh, look at the airplane crash!" "Cool!"

At this stage of his life he is not ready. I'm sure one day he'll surprise me, and share a true unique reflection or opinion. But I will keep trying, because of course, kids also learn through repetition.

Originally posted by Clarissa
Lina v. Metalmancpa

Although it'd probably turn into a lovefest culminating in the first Opeth child.
Baby Opeth. :lol: Cute.

Originally posted by Satori
Lina vs. Misanthropic

Who is the cynicism champ? That would be sweet.
I respectfully decline. Actually, we've already had a few slug fests. I think they ended like this:

Misanthrope: "May people are elitist fuckhead snobs."
Lina: "Fine!" *slams door*
Misanthrope: "Fine!" *slams door*
Lina: *opens door* "Fine!" *slams door*
Misanthrope: *opens door* "Fine!" slams door*