What would you LIKE to see become the next metal genre?

fps

Sep 20, 2003
I know this is a tricky question, as there are so many crossovers now, so much has been done, but I was wondering what kind of metal you think you've not heard yet and would like to. There must be something new out there.
I'd like to hear a hardcore band with lots of halftone harmonies and dance beats. I'd also like to hear a metal band using quarter tones, or using new tunings that are not the same as each other, as in, tuning guitar and bass a quarter step apart, something like that. Might sound like ass, might sound amazing :)

Thrash with country influence. So far the only band I'v heard that's come close is Black Stone Cherry, and they aint even metal.

If we're talking about hearing an entirely new subgenre of metal here, there shouldn't really be any mention of crossover genres, as they are just new combinations of recycled ideas and not new ideas in and of themselves.

I think the next metal genre should have complex rhythms and intense atmosphere, with clean vocals and postmodern, abstract lyrical themes. It would also be nice if there was a hang drum involved.

I dunno, maybe it's already a genre but I'd like to see more dark metal - that melodic, highly atmospheric sound that's dark and sad without really trying to be evil and not cheesy like goth.

If we're talking about hearing an entirely new subgenre of metal here, there shouldn't really be any mention of crossover genres, as they are just new combinations of recycled ideas and not new ideas in and of themselves.

This is the case more often than not, but to say that something new and exciting cannot necessarily arise from a synthesis of pre-existing disparate ideas makes no sense to me. To be really pedantic, all Western music is simply manipulating and rearranging the same 12 "ideas" in various ways.

With that being said, I'd like to see people continue to attempt to re-create the first couple of Morbid Angel albums until the end of time. Most fail, but those that don't manage to create some brilliant stuff.

Something like a cross between Devourment, Immolation, Incantion,Pantera, Sepultura, Belphegor, and Brain Drill. Something really groovy with tons of shred, harmonized guitar riffs, some really fast blasting sections, shrieks and a cold Xathsur like part that goes right into a slam. Some really doomy riffs and some atmospheric dissonance. call it....Depressive Suicidal Progressive Blackened Technical Brutal Slam Melodic Doom Death Thrash. woah. haha that's like putting the best of ALL worlds into one. upcoming bands: take note!

I think I'd rather see a huge amount of completely unique bands show up in one particular area, than have a set standard of requirements that a band would have to fufill to be a part of this genre. What I'm saying is I'd rather see a NNWOBHM come into existence than any of the potential genres mentioned previously in this thread.

Obviously this new "genre" would be made up of bands that, in many cases, had nothing in common with each other, other than place of origin.

I love further exploration...I loathe those who attempt to meticulously label each and every "offbranch". Metal has enough sub genres to affective cover anything to be released in the future. Let's leave it at that, shall we?