Which direction would you like to see metal go in the future?

hibernal_dream

A Mind Forever Voyaging
Jul 10, 2001
Grave with a view
During the 90's we've seen copius amounts of bands capitalise on the swedish death, folk/viking metal and symphonic black metal. Thrash, power metal and progressive metal have also seemed to have gone as far as they can go in creative scope.

Where would you like to see expansion in the 21st century and why?

I would like to see a development of Samael's current direction, weird time signatures a la Meshuggah/Cryptopsy and an further expansion of the doom scene.

I have no fucking clue! I find it hard to think of where genre's can go other than adding more outside influences. Also seems like lots of people think technicality = progression. Personally i dont see it that way. A lot of bands can get as technical as they can manage but what they've written isnt listenable.

The future of metal lies with bands who are abandoning the empty shell of "metal" to pursue neo-Romanticism free of the limitations imposed by dedication to a technique.

Outside influences seem to be the key, Kai Hansen once said in an interview that everything in metal was already invented or something like that, he's right, but there's nothing wrong with that.

I expect to see bands with old-school feeling, more folk and symphonic stuff; I like the direction Symphony X and Evergrey are taking with their prog sound, also Children of Bodom and Dark Tranquility will be a big influence for future bands. The huge power metal thing we've had for the past few years (let's all try to sound like 80s Helloween!!!) will eventually die out, leaving only those bands that can deliver something unique and fresh to the genre. Green Carnation will be huge in the doom genre, death metal bands will incorporate more melody to their sound and still sound brutal.

There's a bright future ahead IMO

I really like the Samael direction as well- heavy, catchy, electronic, black metal rasps, well structured but not needlessly complex songs, very accessible.

I think black metal in the Dimmu- Cradle style will be the next big breakthrough for Underground Metal. If all those depressed teens get a hold of Cradle or Dimmu- I can see all the trenchcoat Manson goths, listening to that kind of music. Im not saying I am crazy about this- i like dimmu- but I just think it will be the next beig thing.

I think there's always going to be a large demand for every genre out there. I listen to so many different types. In regards to the Cradle/Dimmu thing, there's really not a whole lot of new bands popping up doing that style. I suspect bands like The Crown, The Haunted, Corporation 187, Grimfist, Nightrage, and stuff like that will be the next big thing. It's not too much of a change from the NWOSDM but has enough old school in it to please a lot of people.