What Genre Would You Call This?

Eligos

Problem Yet to be Solved
Jun 2, 2008
Great Plains of the U.S.
www.myspace.com
So the other day, my band Dreadnought's submission to the Metal Archives was rejected on the basis that we're not a metal band. Since we get marketed and booked as a metal band in the local scene here in Denver, I'm curious as to how y'all would identify us here at UM.

It's also an excellent opportunity for me to parody some of the one-time-posters that open threads of the same title.

You can stream our stuff on Spotify or here at bandcamp:

http://dreadnoughtdenver.bandcamp.com/

Here's some tasty live footage as well:

I'm genuinely curious to hear how we're typecasted so that I can redirect any possible marketing campaign we run. Thanks in advance, comrades :)

Last edited by a moderator:
MA's rules for not allowing certain bands is fucking retarded anyways. Dark Sanctuary and Elend are allowed on MA even though they are clearly not metal, but Dead Can Dance is not allowed even though they are basically the same band?

Yeah, I don't think it's metal either. It's more like prog rock with guttural vocals.

I checked out your album on spotify, and it's cool, but I just can't get into the vocals. There's nothing wrong with her, I've just never like any female death growls. Their usually too raspy, and not deep enough to sound good imo. It also doesn't exactly go that well with the music you guys are playing.

Based on the YouTube video, the first song sounds doom-y in the riffage to me but I dunno. It's more metal than a lot of what gets accepted there. If you submitted your band as "Progressive Metal", that was a mistake and probably got put into the progressive rock pile. Try again as "Avant-Garde Black Metal with Folk Influences" and it will be a shoo-in.

EDIT: Your band sounds really good, btw. Much more coherent and professional than most of what I know in this general category.

And I agree, your band is really good. I checked it out on bandcamp awhile ago, and I was pretty surprised in a good way. Much better than those one-time posters who promote their bands then never come back, ha.

Edit: Honestly, after going back to bandcamp you guys sound a lot more symphonic to me. The symphonic element seems just as present as the black metal element and i don't hear much doom in comparison so i'd say experimental symphonic black metal with folk influences.

Yeah, FD, the local indie newspaper here in Denver called us "baroque black metal" and compared us to Mono and Caspian, which was super flattering as they are a couple of my favorite bands. In fact, every band named so far these responses is an influence of ours, Frank Zappa and King Crimson for sure.

Thanks for digging on the stuff, and Nephilim, you'll be pleased to hear that we're putting much more influence on the clean vocals in the material we're working on right now, I'm actually learning to sing so we can do 3 part harmonies and madrigals and shit.

Maybe we do just play prog rock with metal influences.

MA's rules for not allowing certain bands is fucking retarded anyways. Dark Sanctuary and Elend are allowed on MA even though they are clearly not metal, but Dead Can Dance is not allowed even though they are basically the same band?

i never knew they have Elend on there until now. how the fuck do they justify that?

i never knew they have Elend on there until now. how the fuck do they justify that?

Their silly side-project exception, I'm guessing. Although looking through the band's history, it doesn't seem like they should qualify even by that standard.

EDIT: Per their rules...

Additionally, there will be some non-metal bands featured on the site that we feel are still part of the metal scene despite not being metal themselves (usually darkwave, ambient, neo-classical and/or folk bands, examples being Mortiis, Elend, Autumn Tears, Stille Volk, etc). These bands are selected by the moderators in an admittedly arbitrary fashion, and their submission by normal users is discouraged. Please bear with us on this.

Translation: We like limp-wristed fantasy music more than metalcore, therefore the former is more acceptable. Burn a church and make love to a Norwegian man, op, and you may get your band in.

Thanks for digging on the stuff, and Nephilim, you'll be pleased to hear that we're putting much more influence on the clean vocals in the material we're working on right now, I'm actually learning to sing so we can do 3 part harmonies and madrigals and shit.

Nice. Don't get me wrong, I really liked what I heard, I just think that clean vocals (or even no vocals) suit you guys better. Just my opinion.

There's a Peavey 6505 on stage. By default, it is metal :p

The stuff sounds good, I dig it. Not my cup of tea, but very well put together. MA mods get their rocks off by denying entry into their "ranks." I would consider it a joke on them.

Try again as "Avant-Garde Black Metal with Folk Influences" and it will be a shoo-in.
:lol: