What Genre of Metal is This?

Okay, my band HEDDA just released our EP titled "The Calm Before...". I thought that we were a Power Metal band, but after reading numerous posts here on U.M., I'm no longer so sure. We are influenced by KAMELOT, FIREWIND, MASTERPLAN, NOCTURNAL RITES, IRON MAIDEN, QUEENSRYCHE, AVANTASIA and BALANCE OF POWER to name a few and we don't sing about dragons or unicorns. HEDDA's album is a loosely weaved concept album, but each tune also stands alone. We don't wear armor and rarely use the word "mighty" to describe ourselves. :)

We refer to our stuff as "European Power Metal with Progressive Moments and Tendancies".
Am I wrong in saying that we are a power metal band? If so, what in your opinion is the specific genre of metal that we fall into? If you have a moment, please take a listen to a track or two on our MySpace page. I am really curious about this.

http://www.myspace.com/heddatheband

Thanks, Mac

After reading the list of bands you posted as influences, and then after listening to your music I'd agree that your music is power metal with some progressive influences, but I wouldn't be too concerned over pinpointing your genre exactly, it's the music that counts

I don't like the songwriting on "The Gates" but "Never Yield" sounds good, sounds like old-school US power metal crossed with some baseline prog tendencies.

True. Very true. I learned a lot from my good friend R. Fitz from "Down Under" (Sydney). :)

Anyway, another guy recently told me that this falls into the U.S. Power metal genre (i.e. Symphony X). Interesting...I've always considered them more prog.

Mac

More like Prog Power...but keep it up dude...I liked what I heard.:headbang:

MARCH 2011:
Interestingly, there appears to be a newer music movement that is called "The New Wave Of American Heavy Metal" and HEDDA was listed in that category in a couple of places on-line.

I'm less interested in how to categorize our music these days. I just think of it as metal. I try to let the listeners tell me what it is and I just hope that they like it. :)

We have just posted a new song and feel it's our best to date - definitely better production (we changed studios and engineers in the Fall of 2010). It will appear on the 2011 ProgPower USA compilation CD.

"See The Light": http://www.myspace.com/heddatheband
It's the bottom song on the playlist.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks, JM

P.S. V.V.V.V.V. I appreciate your comments and I too feel that "Never Yield" is very cool - it doesn't let up. "The Gates" was designed to have more movement and the re-mix was featured on the ProgPower 2010 compiltaion. I truly think that YOU will dig "See The Light"; it doesn't let up either. Let me know your thoughts. Mac

Creative spammer just lost creativity

Not spamming - it's an actual thread at this point. It's difficult to fathom why certain individuals who are clearly avid music fans get upset or irritated when someone attempts to turn them onto something new. We've put alot into this project and I feel it's good stuff, but we're always trying to make it better. The band has utilized useful information donated by UM-ers in previous comments. Did you listen to it? Any constructive comments?

In any case, I've commented on and suggested numerous bands, new and old on this forum. This thread is "spamming" because I'm involved with this particular band? Let me ask you this: If a member of your favorite band posted an identical thread, would you consider it spam or would you gladly contribute? The goal here is to gain information / comments from those whom are essentially the spokespeople of the genre, the avid fans of metal. JM