What's a Burzum?

requiem

I bleed sir, but not killed
Jul 6, 2001
Australia
While I know that Opeth generally has little to do with Black Metal, I thought I could find some information on this forum about the black metal band (guy) Burzum.

Not about Varg or anything like that, but the actual music. My local c.d store seems to be stocking most of the Burzum albums (re-released?) and I was wondering what people recommend I buy (if I decide to buy any.)

I know that 'Hvis Lyset...' and 'Det Som...' are considered pretty good, but what about the later stuff?

If anyone could help I'd be grateful.

I'm definitely into atmospheric/avant-garde type stuff. I know he made a couple of keyboard albums or something which I might be interested in.

My friend raves about Filosofem and the Balders one (please excuse my ignorance when it comes to correct names). Would they be a good start?

I don't own any of Burzum;s albums yet, but I know the Daudi Baldurs album has what is perhaps the most introspective and depressing piece of music ever written, called Moti Ragnarokum (if I am not mistaken). I remember once my friends came into my room, I was asleep and that song was on....they at first thought I might have killed myself!! Creepy thought, but then again, that song gives you some weird images.....

So! If that song is at all representaive of that album, then it is a good choice.

I've also heard some older stuff, the black metal stuff. It is very chilling. Some of the best blak metal vox I've ever heard. And perhaps the most atmospheric metal I've ever heard as well. It's all very evil sounding......

And if you are one of the people (like myself) who won't buy stuff by Nazi/NS bands, rest assured, it was only after his imprisonment that Varg converted to his current philosophies...

Early Burzums cool if you like that droning 'wasp in a biscuit tin' guitar sound. Kinda like Darkthrone.

Varg sounds like he's singing from another room. Excellent stuff!

If you are wondering where the name Burzum came from. It is from the Lord of the Rings trilogy.....I am not quite sure what it was though.....i believe it was in one of the songs.

I highly recommend the track "Erblicket die Töchter des Firmaments" (well, actually the whole first half of Filosofem), one of the greatest pieces of music I have ever heard - the lyrics are awesome as well. I think you would call that style Ambient Black Metal, but who cares, as long as it's that good...

Originally posted by leadfoot256
If you are wondering where the name Burzum came from. It is from the Lord of the Rings trilogy.....I am not quite sure what it was though.....i believe it was in one of the songs.
Burzum means darkness in the language of the orcs. it was taken from the LOTR as well as Grishnákh. am i sounding like a geek? :eek:

ahh this Grishnakh was the most ridiculous character in the whole book *exaggerating a bit* I wonder why Varg chose such a miserable nickname hehe
:devil:

and I have mentioned that before but i will post it once again...
There was a sound clip in the Burzum site with Kristian (aka Varg hehe) explaining what Burzum means...he said something like "Burzum means eitehr light or dark,it depends on how you see it.If you're a christian it means darkness,if you're a pagan it mean the LIGHT"
:lol:

You have to excuse my ignorance but Varg killed a guy in some band, what guy and band was that. Is there any internet site where i can read about this??

Varg killed Euronymous, the ex guitar player of Mayhem. He also burned down a lot of churches. Thats a quick summary of what happened, if you want to know more ask. We had a post that I posted some info on, ill find it and let you know.

Originally posted by mindflesh
(well, actually the whole first half of Filosofem), one of the greatest pieces of music I have ever heard - the lyrics are awesome as well.

So I'm assuming the lyrics are in English, at least on Filosofem? I know that many of the song titles are in his native tongue, which doesn't bother me that much, but I do feel the lyrics are very important.

Hvis lyset tar oss-album is great black metal. The atmosphere is really thick. Filosofem isn't quite as great but good still.

Lords of Chaos has lots of false information.

Originally posted by MacMoney
Lords of Chaos has lots of false information.

This is probably true....When the book came out Varg wrote his thoughts and comments on it,which were put up on the Burzum site. He was correcting some times/date of the church burning and he was also commenting what one of the Emperor guys said (damn,I can't remember exactly!)...and anyway some other interesting stuff which i can't recall anymore....
stupid me I should have kept a copy of that somewhere,it was very interesting to read....