Whats everybody's favourite all natural drum sounds!?

Apparently the drums on messengers by august burns red are all natural with some sample reinforcement on kick and snare only. I thought they were nice and punchy and real in your face. I'm pretty sure he posted something on gs about it. I'll ask him when I get to work with him next month ;)

!:OMG:
oh shit thats awesome!! the drum sound on that album is great and original(unlike constellations)

Probably somes samples helper but Textures-Drawing Circles drum sound always amazed me.

Others choice would be everything done by Tom Lord alge since 5 years (no external samples like Andy recent work)...

I can't believe nobody has mentioned South Of Heaven :guh: My favorite anyway. I also have a soft spot for ...And Justice For All, that's the first time I ever heard a clicky bass drum:D

For death metal I'd have to say Terrorizer -World Downfall, very lively sounding kit

Ive shared the stage with Cannibal Corpse a number of times over the years in various different bands but one of the things that really surprises me is how they mix the natural sound with the trigger sound and how the natural drums they use already sounds better (punchy and clear) than any album production before they start spoiling it with triggers.
Seriously Ive never heard another natural kick sound so juicy , shame they dont use it on album .

I can't believe nobody has mentioned South Of Heaven :guh: My favorite anyway. I also have a soft spot for ...And Justice For All, that's the first time I ever heard a clicky bass drum:D

For death metal I'd have to say Terrorizer -World Downfall, very lively sounding kit

+1 South of Heaven sounds incredible, proof \/

also Dante XXI sounds phenomenal, I'm not 100% on all natch though?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing as this is a metal forum (predominately at least), I'll say my favorite "natural" metal drums are Nicko's on pretty much any Iron Maiden album - a few examples of the sound I love so much would be:

Other favorite "natural" sounds would be Neil Peart's drum sound on Rush's "Counterparts" album - such as in the intro to "Animate":

Last edited by a moderator: