What's in a name?

mel_progson

Dec 10, 2006
Oz
Lately I've been thinking about prog and power metal bands whose name might be a little odd, hard to pronounce or just plain bad. I wonder if bands like this get held back in terms of success.

Do you think this could be the case with some bands? What are some examples of bands who are great with ordinary band names?

For example I really love Orden Ogan but I can't help thinking they'd kill it more with a more traditional sounding name.

I agree and disagree at the same time. Orden Ogan is a really dumb name imo but apparently the band is in fact killing it in Europe and is doing super well over there.

I think that alot of bands don't really think things through when coming up with a name, and care more about having a weird, quirky, esoteric moniker than actually paying attention to the aesthetics of name and how it sounds or reads. It's a for better or for worse situation and sometimes it hurts a band and other times it doesn't make a difference. I can't get into specifics, but I have heard a few situations in which unsigned bands were straight up turned down by labels because of their names.

Orden Ogan is a really dumb name imo but apparently the band is in fact killing it in Europe and is doing super well over there.

I had heard they're doing well in Europe. I can't help thinking they have it in them to hit that kinda Nightwish/Blind Guardian kinda popularity outside Europe if they had a more traditional style name.

I can't get into specifics, but I have heard a few situations in which unsigned bands were straight up turned down by labels because of their names.

Now that is interesting.

When I saw the title, Orden Ogan is who I thought of. I think in Europe that won't hurt their chances, but for them to break through at all in the US is going to be tough with that name imo.

The young Finnish band STURM UND DRANG comes to my mind. They released 3 very good catchy hard rocking albums, but I'm thinking that their almost-impossible-to-pronounce-and-write band name for someone who doesn't speak the language might hurt their chances outside Europe, but maybe they don't give a damn about these markets anyway so it might be all good...

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a face when I bought the Teodor Tuff cd. I'm glad I did.

Yes, what a weird name...But a very good disc.

Here's the video, for those who haven't heard yet. This is not the best song of the album BTW.

A couple other songs

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes a name can help or hinder, yeah.. I almost bought a CD from a band called "Goblin Cock". Because I really wanted to believe in a band with a name like Goblin Cock. Alas, it was not meant to be.

Gene Simmons changed the band Giuffria's name to House of Lords..better name, didn't help that much, but as Gene said at the time..."Giuffria sounds like a fruit stand vendor" :lol:

I think it depends on the genre....

In the underground traditional metal scene, you have bands like THE LORD WEIRD SLOUGH FEG (who dropped down to simply SLOUGH FEG).
You also have TWISTED TOWER DIRE, etc, etc.......

It seems in more polished power metal, a less mysterious band name is required (IE - Nightwish, Kamelot, Dream Evil, Gamma Ray, Symphony X, etc).

That's not a dig, but as others have said, ORDERN OGEN, or whatever would easily be skipped over in a CD store (are those still around?) if someone was just browsing for a cool looking metal band.......

I think though overall if the band is good, people will get past it.

I mean, who the heck would have guessed a band called EDGUY would have done so well, right?

Gene Simmons changed the band Giuffria's name to House of Lords..better name, didn't help that much, but as Gene said at the time..."Giuffria sounds like a fruit stand vendor" :lol:

While I am sure you do know this, I will still go ahead and point out that Guiffria is a last name.... (In case there are those here who dont)

While Twisted Tower Dire is an odd name, I don't think it's the type of name that one would avoid. I mean it does roll off the tongue and is memorable. Orden Ogan which we've discussed ad nauseum already, it took me many times to even remember what they were called.

A name says nothing about a band until you hear the band for yourself.
Actually that's not true, it could say something about the band's style and direction. You wouldn't have a Pop Punk band called Hammerfall.
But a name gets its validation through the sound and style of the band itself.

Shameless plug with a good point:

For those of you who've never heard us, tell me what you'd think Dark Empire would sound like, judging my the name alone.
Then, go to the facebook, click bandpage and tell me how close your perception of the name was to what you actually hear.
https://www.facebook.com/darkempireband

Hmm, I've always thought Twisted Tower Dire was an awesome band name. I also think it could as easily been used by a acid/psych band from the 70s as it is by a heavy metal band.

Actually that's not true, it could say something about the band's style and direction. You wouldn't have a Pop Punk band called Hammerfall.

I know what you're saying. I do try to give almost every band a chance, regardless of image or name; however, let's face it, with how many bands are out there, it's part of human nature to gravitate towards something more attractive, whether it's cover art or a name.

I did run across a punk band called Doomtree once. Man that was a disappointment.

Shameless plug with a good point:

For those of you who've never heard us, tell me what you'd think Dark Empire would sound like, judging my the name alone.
Then, go to the facebook, click bandpage and tell me how close your perception of the name was to what you actually hear.
https://www.facebook.com/darkempireband

I really like the first Dark Empire CD but this new stuff isnt working for me. Again...this is where the name could misslead many and you could be missing out on your target audience.