What's in a name?

But the worst possible name for a band is !!!. I have no idea what kind of music they play, but I've seen gigs advertised. Think about it, you can't pronounce it and you can't even Google it. I have no idea what they were thinking. What would you even call them - Triple Explanation Point?

But the worst possible name for a band is !!!. I have no idea what kind of music they play, but I've seen gigs advertised. Think about it, you can't pronounce it and you can't even Google it. I have no idea what they were thinking. What would you even call them - Triple Explanation Point?

I know exactly of whom you speak, as they seem to play Chicago alot.
Heck, they could be from here for all I know.

I have also seen the band "+ / -" advertised as well.....

haha I've never heard of that band, but that's a funny one too.

Yeah, well, throughout all subgenres of punk throughout the years, there have certainly been many doosies!!!!!!!

SNOOPY'S TAPEWORM
FLEA CIRCUS
CINDY BRADY'S LISP
SHARON TATE'S BABY
INSANE WAR TOMATOES
SATAN'S BAKE SALE
URETHRA FRANKLIN AND THE GHETTO CHILDREN
THE HOUSE THAT GLORIA VANDERBUILT

Yeah, well, throughout all subgenres of punk throughout the years, there have certainly been many doosies!!!!!!!

SNOOPY'S TAPEWORM
FLEA CIRCUS
CINDY BRADY'S LISP
SHARON TATE'S BABY
INSANE WAR TOMATOES
SATAN'S BAKE SALE
URETHRA FRANKLIN AND THE GHETTO CHILDREN
THE HOUSE THAT GLORIA VANDERBUILT

I think it's because most punk bands just don't take themselves seriously. Like the singer of I Killed The Prom Queen is in a mid/late-90's style hc band called Deez Nuts (think Agnostic Front or Stuck Mojo). And while we're on the subject of hilarious band names in punk/hardcore, Stuck Mojo is a dead ringer.

Fun fact: the former guitarist of Stuck Mojo is now in FOZZY and was previously in Adrenaline Mob!

Last edited by a moderator:
The band named "Z" was surely not helped by their choice of band name...Their Keeper Of The Sign album was good 80s style HM with a singer very influenced by the late great Ronnie James Dio.

The actual song starts at around 1:00

It's funny that someone mentioned the band !!!. I've been informed that they pronounce the name "chk, chk, chk." Until then, I just figured that when their fans talked about them, they just made a face of sheer excitement.

Names are always tricky. Some bands can get away with a silly name if their music is just that good or if they have some sort of gimmick. Others get the shaft before they're even heard. That said, some of my favorite off the wall names are Amboog-A-Lard, Chinchilla (I like this band despite the name), and The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

When I saw the title, Orden Ogan is who I thought of. I think in Europe that won't hurt their chances, but for them to break through at all in the US is going to be tough with that name imo.

Well, they already have the disadvantage of being a pure power metal band, that's held back way more good power metal bands with perfectly "normal" names. The best we're probably going to be able to hope for is a ProgPower invite. :p

Some really questionable or confusing ones out there: Pink Cream 69, Alpha Tiger, Green Carnation, Mustasch, Audrey Horne

Difficult pronunciations: Kiuas, Eleuvetie, Skálmöld, pretty much anything from Finland!

"Green Carnation" and "Audrey Horne" were both names that drew me to them, but my sense is probably skewed since I like metal to begin with

Hi, welcome to the internet. Is this your first time here?

Hi, this is a dictionary, open one.

Dictionary_Icon.png

Hi, this is a dictionary, open one.

Dictionary_Icon.png

I dont think I have ever seen you post without having to insult or make some comment about spelling or something. You really need to get a life. As much as I get angry with Aeonic, at least he is offering opinions or debate and not just name calling or starting stuff.

a great old metal / hardcore band that had a terrible name and I am sure lots of people didnt pay any attention to them because of it....

Norman Bates and the Showerheads..