What's in a name?

There is a German power metal band called Custard. They have CDs with covers like this:

10981.jpg

Gotta love 'em!

I see what you mean. It could come off totally cheese-ball, or it could be really cool. I definitely see how it could come across as lame to the heavy crowd that we'd like to aim towards.
But at the same time, I personally have no problem with it. I actually think it fits nicely. Many people might disagree, but chances are they don't lift.
Way I see it, your band could be named after a flower. If the music and stuff is good, then it's good. Kamelot, Spock's Beard, those are a couple of band names that could be like :guh: to some people, and they kick ass (to me at least).

Have you heard the whole album of Refuge to Ruin? The songs on the bandpage are actually our 3 heaviest songs on the album (excluding The Cleansing Fires, but that's 15 minutes, can't put that on a bandpage lol). We're trying to push these ones right now because we've been playing with a lot of heavier bands lately.
We've definitely changed over time since Distant Tides. New band members, new influences, new ideas, new everything really. And we'll continue to change. Greater than ever now too, with the whole new lineup pretty much set in stone and all the styles we'll all bring to the table. From the looks of it now, chances are we'll be getting heavier. But I hope we go more Proggy too, doing more songs like the title track of From Refuge to Ruin and a whole lot of ideas in my crazy proggy-keyboardy idea brain :p

I can't even count the amount of times I passed over (back in the day, long ago...):

Sword - Metalized : I'd see the cassette (that's right!) EVERY single time I went browsing for new purchases. It took a good year or more before I brought myself to give it a shot. If I were car shopping - it was the equivalent of seeing a puke green Gremlin sitting among a bunch of red corvettes. Became one of my favorite 80s bands!

The Poodles - anything : Come on.... Glenn finally made me listen to them. Glad I did, fantastic band.

Bad Salad : really? Of allllll the names out there.... VERY cool band. I've yet to read anything about the name origin.

Tons more... (the Teodor Tuff came to mind for me also - sounds like a children's morning cartoon that airs after Blues Clues or something - but - cool band!).

I can't even count the amount of times I passed over (back in the day, long ago...):

Sword - Metalized : I'd see the cassette (that's right!) EVERY single time I went browsing for new purchases. It took a good year or more before I brought myself to give it a shot. If I were car shopping - it was the equivalent of seeing a puke green Gremlin sitting among a bunch of red corvettes. Became one of my favorite 80s bands!

The Poodles - anything : Come on.... Glenn finally made me listen to them. Glad I did, fantastic band.

Bad Salad : really? Of allllll the names out there.... VERY cool band. I've yet to read anything about the name origin.

Tons more... (the Teodor Tuff came to mind for me also - sounds like a children's morning cartoon that airs after Blues Clues or something - but - cool band!).

Dude, the Poodles is the perfect name for that band!

Oh, I actually really like the name TWISTED TOWER DIRE.
I mean, based on their sound, they could be just as easily called RAPID TIGER, and still have the same affect.
Just saying that its a name that someone not as in tune with the underground might go WTF....

This is indeed a VERY interesting topic, which I have been discussing at length with Diabolik, Pate, and modernwizardry to the nth degree lately.

Oh, I actually really like the name TWISTED TOWER DIRE.
I mean, based on their sound, they could be just as easily called RAPID TIGER, and still have the same affect.
Just saying that its a name that someone not as in tune with the underground might go WTF....

This is indeed a VERY interesting topic, which I have been discussing at length with Diabolik, Pate, and modernwizardry to the nth degree lately.

Oddly enough, I'm seeing TTD live tomorrow night (with Castle) in Richmond.

Lucky,
I have yet to see TTD with their new (well not so new anymore) singer.
Their last full length was great.

It would be cool if it were CASSLE from San Francisco
(Another band with a name that some might pass over)

There was a "Cassel" in New England a couple years back. Played 15 shows and eleven of them were well-received. Wasn't able to take it to the next level, though, and for perhaps unfair reasons (just the way the dominos fell). Some people thought he was underrated, but others thought he just looked good because other people in the band were much better at their game. He eventually moved to Kansas City but I'm not sure how popular he is out there.

What about DESTINY POTATO?

Or there is actually a very successful power violence band called WEEKEND NACHOS....

haha there's no such thing as a "very successful" pxvx band. They play shitty little clubs. And it's a cute/funny punk name. I love it!

haha there's no such thing as a "very successful" pxvx band. They play shitty little clubs. And it's a cute/funny punk name. I love it!

I am not at all into that scene nor pretend to be terribly familiar with it.
I have heard they do quite well, and I know they have played some bigger gigs here in Chicago.

Yeah, I guess I should have clarified, "big for the scene they are in" but you get the point.

That name is almost as bad as the 80s punk band W.T.G. (and for those who don't know which is most of you, that stood for Whoppers Taste Good)

I am not at all into that scene nor pretend to be terribly familiar with it.
I have heard they do quite well, and I know they have played some bigger gigs here in Chicago.

Yeah, I guess I should have clarified, "big for the scene they are in" but you get the point.

That name is almost as bad as the 80s punk band W.T.G. (and for those who don't know which is most of you, that stood for Whoppers Taste Good)

haha I've never heard of that band, but that's a funny one too.