What's the best live set you've seen all year?

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
One of the other threads gave me this idea for a new thread. It should be interesting! Yes, your answer can be other than a ProgPower set.

I have to go with Ashes of Ares with Myrath being a very, very close second! For my money and what I look for in a band, Barlow and company kicked our asses!

~Brian~

Avantasia

f717e1d739a6ca8d54a6b7e0f6e8b1c6a1df9f2015efc2b40f6960924d8b32c1.jpg

Very close, maybe even a 4 way tie:

1. Kingcrow @ Reggie's in Chicago
2&3. Harem Scarem/WET, 1-2 punch @ MRF3
4. Ashes of Ares @ PP.

Avantasia was just a magical experience. Even seeing their soundcheck earlier in the day was one of the greatest things I'd ever seen.

Myrath tied with Y&T. Having never seen Y&T before I was floored by the powerful singing and great songs with some nice guitaring.

Honorable mentions go to A Sound of Thunder (best guitar sound /tone live I ve heard recently ), and some local favorites - Flames of Fury, Mother, Bound by Substance , Funkface .

1) Bolt Thrower - Waited almost fifteen years to see them and it was entirely worth it. I hope they don't take another 20 years to come back to the West Coast.
2) Myrath - No comment necessary.
3) Sabaton - PPUSA was my favorite set from them this year, but their headlining run in February was awesome as well, and it was very, very cool to see them opening for Iron Maiden, and even moreso to see them get a good response.
4) The Aristocrats - Simply brilliant musicians, between their sense of composition and pure talent, they should be more popular with the prog metal crowd. Watching Marco play drums for two hours from about ten feet away was incredible, and it's not as if Bryan and Guthrie are slouches.
5) Iron Maiden - Still my favorite live band, but their last couple tours have been a shade below their peak for me.

Amaranthe: Despite it being (likely) over 100 degrees in the venue (this was in the middle of the heat wave this summer) it was so great to finally see them live, front and center! I'm very disappointed they didn't play Enter the Maze (my favorite song of theirs) but their set was really fun and energetic.

Soilwork: I would've liked if they played more songs off The Living Infinite (they only played 5), but that's really my only complaint. Speed is a monster live. I also got a vocal lesson with him earlier in the day, which was such a cool experience.

Fear Factory: (braces self for haters) Sure, Burton can't sing anymore, but I think he only horribly botched two songs lol, and those were just the choruses. Idk Fear Factory is such a fun band for me and I had such a blast at their show that I don't care whether Burton can't do cleans well (I know I should, but whatever). I plan on seeing them again! I just wish they played more new songs.

I can't remember what other concerts I went to this year. This month i'm going to be seeing 3 Inches of Blood, Dagoba, and Jolly though, and i'm sure some fo them will make this list too.