What's The Best Metal Show You've Ever Been To?

exorial

Jun 20, 2002
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
For me its not even debatable, one night will forever remain burned into my memory as the best show of my life:

Dissection + At the Gates

The show was in 1995, San Francisco at the now defunct Trocadero. Two legendary bands that are now also dead, nothing else can hope to compare...

Dude, I hate you.

Best show I've been has to be Opeth/Nevermore/Angel Dust/God Forbid

InFlames/Nevermore/Shadows Fall is in a close second

I haven't been to any concert that I would categorize as "superb", but the best concert I've been too was probably The Hellacopters at last years Roskilde Festival!!! Hidsig pis!! At the moment I didn't have any of their records, but I've heard a couple of their songs and thought it was pretty good! The concert gave me a very good reason to buy some of their records and I know have 3 of their LP's and one 10".
As I said, it wasn't superb, but it was great!!!!!

1. Iron Maiden/Queensryche/Halford - August 30, 2000 Red Rocks Amphitheater, Denver CO. This show was bloody immense. I got there at 11AM and waited in line and got front row (the venue is GA). Plus...I got to go to the meet and great and meet my all-time heroes, Iron Maiden. Regardless, Iron Maiden never played better. Unreal.

2. AC/DC - August 25, 1996 McNichols Arena, Denver CO. For the Ballbreaker tour, this show was fucking awesome.

I'm going to list some of my favorite individual sets (for packages that weren't altogether awesome, but one band stuck out).

Amorphis, 2000. I was only vaguely familiar with their material but was blown away with their performance. The audience was in a trance. I have most of their stuff now.

In Flames, May 2002. Opening for Iced Earth, it should have been the other way around. Seen them 3 times and this time was the best. They blew Iced Earth off the stage.

Shit. for me. hmm. I was at thet maiden show and that was one of the best ever.

Both times i've seen Hate Eternal. They are an amazing live band.
Amorphis 2000, great show.
Opeth 2001 was good.
Immortal Manowar 2002.

I dunno. this is hard. I"ve been to a lot of shows.

Iron Maiden at Scandinavium september 1999. A dream come true.
Second: Cannibal Corpse at KB, Malmö october 1996.
Third: Hellacopters at Tivolriock, Kristianstad july 2001.

But I think the best concert I will ever visit will be Bruce Springsteen next summer.

I also saw Iron Maiden at Roskilde Festival two years ago. It was (very) good, but could have been great or superb. There was three disapointments:
1: They didn't bring Eddie on stage. First I thought they really hadn't done this since the 80's, but then I found out that had him on their Virtual XI tour or something.
2: They didn't play "Be quick or be dead", which is one of my favorite, but maybe they haven't played this live since their "Fear of the dark" tour.
And finally 3: They didn't play their biggest hit and the song everybody knows them for: "Run to the hills"!!!!

I've been to all the shows that Starbreaker has mentioned, and they all kicked ass. I'd add the last King Diamond show (was it 2000?), Dio in Colorado Springs the last time he came through...

But one of the most memorable and enjoyable shows I've been to was Cathedral/Trouble April 1996. Man, it was a dream come true for this doom freak!

Originally posted by St. Vitus
I've been to all the shows that Starbreaker has mentioned, and they all kicked ass. I'd add the last King Diamond show (was it 2000?), Dio in Colorado Springs the last time he came through...

But one of the most memorable and enjoyable shows I've been to was Cathedral/Trouble April 1996. Man, it was a dream come true for this doom freak!

That would kick ass! I love doom. I've never seen anything doom related in concert. Cathedral is one of my all time favorite bands.

The only ones I've been to are "Monsters of the Millenium 2 & 3".. Well, the second edition was the better one ;)

Thrash of the Titans... has to be the best.
1924780.gif

This is a tough one, so I'll limit my answer to metal shows (duh).

I think it's a 4-way tie between:

1. Iron Maiden/Queensryche/Halford - twice on the 'Brave New Tour' in 2000.
2. Queensryche - fall, 2001
3. Iced Earth/In Flames/Jag Panzer - April 2002
4. Metallica/Queensryche - '...And Justice Tour', spring 1990

Ask me again on November 18th of this year, and I'm fairly certain that ProgPower 3.0 will vault to the top of the list!

As for non-metal shows, I've never been to a Warped Tour that I didn't have a blast at...

That Cathedral/Trouble show was very, very good. At the time I was only familiar with Carnival Bizarre and Soul Sacrifice, but it was still so cool being that close to doom legends. I didn't know any Trouble much at all, and although their set was very good musically I didn't care for their singer's constant between song quest for getting stoned and discussing pot. But they still played well.

I really wish Cathedral would come through again. I saw their setlist at the NJ Metal Meltdown two years ago, and it was the setlist dreams are made of!

Hmm... this is a tough one... I´ve seen a lot of amazing shows.. CARCASS, OVERKILL, METALLICA, SEPULTURA, NUCLEAR ASSAULT, FORBIDDEN... but the one that stands out most in my mind is SKYCLAD last year in Helmond. They are my favourite band EVER and seeing them finally was a big moment.