What's the best rhythmic section Symphony X have ever had?

What's the best rhythmical section Symphony X have ever had?

• Jason Rullo + Thomas Miller (The Divine Wings of Tragedy)

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Tom Walling + Thomas Miller (Twilight in Olympus)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Jason Rullo + Michael LePond (Five)

Votes: 24 53.3%

• Total voters

#ThoMasMilLer#

New Metal Member
Aug 9, 2002
Italy
Visit site
So yeah, Symphony X have changed their rhythmical section (i.e. bass + drums) 3 times in the last 3 albums, so the question is pretty simple: what's the best one in your opinion? Rullo + Miller (Divine Wings), Walling + Miller (Twilight), or Rullo + LePond (V) ? My choice goes by far to Walling + Miller... up to you now :)

Im a big fan of Miller and became a strong fan of LePond too after the release of Live On the Edge.I hope we can see more solos of this guy in The Odissey,coz,damn,he's good!
And I have no words for Rullo.Hear the SyX albuns and some Redemption soundclips and you will know what Im saying.

Rullo, Miller.

Rullo is one of my fave drummers. He is so good!!! Not just technically, but he understands what a song needs (no every musicians knows that). Miller is my fave bass player. His sound is very clean and well defined.
Don't forget, Miller did write most of the lyrics when he was in the band. For some reason, I liked his lyrics the most.

When I met Rullo I called him a "Human Metronome" he smiled when he heard that :)

I was very happy when I heard he was back. I hope he never leaves again.

i voted for rullo and lepond... not just because of V but because lepond's fills and solos on live on the edge of forever were so much better than the originals! and lepond is just a great guy. also, they rule on the odyssey, and V kicked ass. I am not putting miller down at all since he is better than any other bassist out there, i just like lepond much better.

Lepond/Rullo

Just listen to Lepond's awesome bass shredding all over "The Odyssey"! He flies right along with Romeo's crazy guitar in "Inferno". And Rullo is simply amazing... look no further than "Death of Balance" or "Egypt".

... not just because of V but because lepond's fills and solos on live on the edge of forever were so much better than the originals!

Sorry but can someone explain to me what "live on the edge of forever" is? Was this a tour? A cd? Please fill me in here :D

Thanks guys.

Miller had a more neo-classical style than Lepond, which I like. However, I think Lepond has proven that he can play everything Miller did. Plus, it seems that Lepond is a more well-rounded player. He took Miller's lines and made them even more kickass! He also adds little fills and embellishments to the pre-V songs which adds a lot of color and beauty. These are particularly evident on LOTEOF in Divine Wings and Through The Looking Glass. He never sticks to the same robotic formula, which many bassists today do. Lepond constantly improvises, especially in the more open sections. Some people don't have an ear for the bass, or they just don't view it as important. But if they listen carefully they'll pick up Lepond's doodles. There's a lot of stuff on The Odyssey that's hard to hear unless you have the right EQ mix, but it's there -- and awesome! As for Miller's lyrics, they were good. However, remember that it was Lepond's idea to do The Odyssey (song)...

As for the the drums, Rullo has always been and will always be THE man for the job. Walling was very good, and as with Miller, I have nothing against him -- I just prefer Rullo.

Anyway, I like this poll. Very few people (who aren't bassists or drummers) notice the brilliance of Symphony X's rhythm section. Lepond and Rullo, and Miller and Walling, for that matter, are completely underrated. I have nothing against Allen or Romeo -- I love those guys -- but they are the ones who are usually in the spotlight. However, it's good to see that many people out there can appreciate every aspect of a band, and not focus solely on one member (usually the lead vocalist).

I prefer rullo/lepond. Although I love miller's solos on the self-titled, especially 'taunting the notorious', song is wicked, but lepond has more feeling in his bass lines. Check out "the accolade II" and the intro, you can just feel the bass lines along with the melody.

and there's no way I'd choose anyone else for SX than rullo, because his chops way too wicked. The entire "Damnation Game" has some of Rullo's most technical and wicked work.

Jason Rullo is really awesome as well as Thomas Miller and Michael LePond!

I've finally chosen Rullo+LePond, since Rullo improved in the last albums afterwards he left. Thomas Miller is technically incredible, but I think Michael LePond has cooler licks overall, e.g. in "A Fool's Paradise".

But Michael Romeo's rhythm work is also awesome, all those riffs he plays and how perfectly he supports the keyboard!

MorphineChild205 said:
He took Miller's lines and made them even more kickass!

Yeah, for example the first solo in TDWoT. LePond changed the solo to a even more beautiful one and gave it a bit more sense and variety.

Miller is my favorite sym x bassist...and walling was awesome but Rullo is just rediculous...+ I've heard much more by Rullo (DUH!)...Walling has only Twilight to be judged by. But I have to say Lepond in frotiers....I shall never question him again