What's the difference between Grindcore and Death Metal?

Amarantus said:
I'm sure you've heard of or listened to Napalm Death. That's grindcore. You can tell the difference between grindcore and death metal easiest because of the major punk influence in grindcore.
Napalm Death is only grindcore up until Harmony Corruption, which is death metal (though with tons of hardcore influence).

Death metal is much more varied than grindcore. Death metal has more complex riffs, and often switches between fast and slower passages, whereas grindcore is almost always very fast. Also, grindcore songs are usually very short (2:00 or less) and are made up of a total of two or three riffs that are repeated, while death metal songs usually are made up of more riffs with a less repetitive song structure.

Life Sucks said:
Napalm Death is only grindcore up until Harmony Corruption, which is death metal (though with tons of hardcore influence).

Death metal is much more varied than grindcore. Death metal has more complex riffs, and often switches between fast and slower passages, whereas grindcore is almost always very fast. Also, grindcore songs are usually very short (2:00 or less) and are made up of a total of two or three riffs that are repeated, while death metal songs usually are made up of more riffs with a less repetitive song structure.

Dude, that's the same damn thing Planetary Eulogy said. :rolleyes:

No wait, lemme guess, you didn't read the thread before replying.

Not sure why this guy keeps resurrecting super old and irrelevant threads, but I'll bite. Here's the difference:

Death metal is god tier music.
Grindcore and every single one of its awful variants are absolute fucking trash.

Reactions: Pitiless Wanderer
There is an incredible difference between the two, however they tend to cross a lot.

Death Metal evolved more out of Thrash Metal and themes on Satan/Death/Fantasy elements, whereas Grindcore evolved more out of D-Beat/Hardcore Punk and themes on Politics, Satire, and War.

Instrumentally , Death Metal is more concise on riffs while Grindcore is all power.

If you like them crossed over, check out- Carcass (early), The Red Chord, Cattle Decapitarion (early), Cephalic Carnage (early), Exhumed, and I think* early Bolt Thrower.

Yeah I HATE grind, and I know that you don't know shit about grind. Actual grind bands:

Repulsion
Terrorizer
Pig Destroyer
Assuck
Excruciating Terror
Thanatology
Squash Bowels
Brutal Truth
Wormrot
Rotten Sound
Insect Warfare

What you listed was deathgrind at best, one note chugging deathcore at worst.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Read "if you like them crossed over"

And yeah, Red Chord is Deathcore, but among that first wave of deathcore bands. Idk, I always saw them as Deathgrind too.

I used to have Clients, but sold it with a bunch of CDs so I could save up to travel.

Yeah they are one of the few Deathcore bands that actually matter. I pretty lenient on Deathcore though.

Thrash metal is punk mixed with speed metal. it's super fast and aggressive like punk but it has the cool concise riffs of speed metal.
Death metal came to be with thrash metal and early thrash metal being combined.
Grindcore thus is a regressed form of death metal. But it depends if the bank is going more hardcore punk or thrash metal with death metal.
Goregrind/grindcore is capable of sounding extremely over the top and precise and brutal as fuck, as long as you play it tight and record it well and not sound like a garbage disposal when you scream.

That being said, I've heard plenty of really shitty grindcore that's just pounding drums and static and squealing and gurgling

Grindcore is an exaggeration of hardcore punk. Short songs, fast, incomprehensible riffs, blastbeats, and vocals ranging from low growls to high shrieks. Generally, its really bland, and only the drums require any actual technical ability.

Death metal, on the other hand, is slower, catchier, and more reliant on rhythms and melodies, and typically very technically demanding.