Whats the world coming to?

Damn double posting demon!

Sydo: Nobody knows what to think right now, but I do think that this is one event the US knew nothing about. No one could think this could actually happen, though it is ironic that Tom Clancy wrote a book about someone crashing a plane into the US Capitol building.

Phloggy: The US isn't squeaky clean anywhere, least of all the Middle East. The Iran - Iraq war was nothing less than a pseudo US/Soviet conflict, the whole Palestine question has a great deal to do with America. But again, there is a war going on in Northern Ireland. There is a war going on in Afghanistan. There is a war going on in Israel. And people on both sides of these wars continue to commit atrocities against each other because they see the others as enemies, civilian or not. Regardless of the USA's transgressions, real or imagined, they are NOT at war. This was an outright act of aggression against a sovereign nation. Even Britain declared war on Germany before they started fighting them.

In any case, I am in contact with people in New York. Some of them worked in the area around the World Trade Center. I can only hope I hear from them again.

There wouldnt have been anything they could have done to stop the WTC crashes, and I doubt they would have had time to even get anyone out of the pentagon, by the time they realised where it was headed and what was going on, gotten word to someone, gotten people there to tell them etc. it would have been too late.

That plus things were happening so fast, it was just too much I think.

I doubt a WW3 will break out... I think the deciding factor (providing that this Bin Laden dude is responsible) is the protection Afghanistan has in place for him. I think if Afghanistan don't do something to allow the United States to take action against him, it may result in war, but I don't think a nation would be stupid enough to risk going to war with such a superpower over one man... at least that's what I'm hoping will happen.

The shocking thing about this to me is that it opens your eyes to how unsafe we really are. Who would've expected that a city like New York would be attacked like that? It shows us how easy it is.

I hope you are right .
The other consequences of this is also will the world lead by the US fall into a global recession , with high interest rates , Oil prices,unemployment and the like . Will this be the decline of the Western Civilisation as we Know it - Gee that would be a great title for a doco on Heavy Metal.

I think you'll be suprised. This terrorist has been protected by these guys for ages and apparently has a lot of ties with the milita...they probably wont give him up. Lets just hope that whatever happens, happens with the least amount of bloodshed.

I heard that Afghanistan has alreay said that if the US can PROVE that Bin Laden is responsible, they will turn him over.
The US needs evidence though,........
Also, did anyone else hear that the dude from the tv show Fraiser..... I presume the blonde skinny guy, was on one of the hijacked planes?
I a hearing so many stories..... each one as scary as the next.

All the planes hikacked had just started cross country trips, and were therefore filled up with petrol........... more carnage!

And the attack occured on 11-9-01..... the yanks say the month before the day, so the attack happened: 9-11-01........ 911... emergence!!
Fuckin hell, this is bullshit!
I agre with whoever said that remark about the celebrations from the palestines.. That made me sick..... fuckin idiots man!!

I had tears in my eyes as the 2nd building collapsed, thinking of all those poor people trapped in there......... Remember the HUGE deal made out of Stuart Diver in thredbo............. multiply that by 50 000!!!
FUCK!!!

I spent all of last night trying to reach my cousins in NYC and friends in Pennsylvania - everyones ok thank God.

Now seriously reconsidering moving to NYC in November as planned.

I was in Tower 1 six weeks ago:(

What really freaks me out too is that they managed to take out part of the Pentagon...supposedly one of the most secure buildings in the world.

And I'm starting to think something happened on that fourth flight...the one that crashed into the field in Pennsylvania. Apparently a guy on there phoned his mother before they crashed and it sounds like a few people on board actually may have tried to stop the hijackers. They could well have stopped it crashing into its intended target. I expect we'll hear more about this fourth fligh later on...something happened on that plane. I'm sure of it.

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit negative here guys. I'm going though a bit of a rough patch at the moment, and I'm about all doom and gloomed out.

Kem, I've heard the same, and I suspect it too. To hit an object in a plane is not the easiest thing to do, even if it's as big as the world trade centers, and you'd need at least a little training to do it. They even flew hundreds of km under radar range, this would also take a little skill. The fact that three off them hit their targets means that the training must have been pretty good, and there's no reason to think the fourth didn't have similar training. He must have been interferred with.

Or maybe the plane was shot down :eek:

A few people I know have made that comment. I'm not sure if I believe it but its another possibility.

Yeah there was talk about that on the tv, apparently some people on the 4th plane decided to fight back, im certain thats what caused it to crash. Pretty damn brave when you consider they didnt even know about the other crashes so they wouldnt have known for sure they were all going to die.......
Of course, this could all be a cover up for the US having to shoot down the plane, as they had FBI agents on the scene and taking over investigation as soon as it happend.
I hate to say it, but if the US did shoot it down, I cant condemn it as it could have possibly killed many more people had it hit its target (supposedly the whitehouse).

Originally posted by Bucko
Will this be the decline of the Western Civilisation as we Know it - Gee that would be a great title for a doco on Heavy Metal.

Haha I love that doco... Odin are such fuckwits lol. "We're not gonna be just another band, we're gonna be remembered, like the Stones or Zeppelin" ... "what if you don't make it?" ... "nah that's not an option, we will" ... "but what if you don't?" ... "oh but we will!" Hahaha where the fuck are they now? I don't think they even got their album released.

Back to the topic...

I really don't understand those people who are celebrating. Sure they might be happy that the middle has gotten some revenge on the US... but fucken how can they celebrate all those people dying? Its FUCKED.

Phloggy's right of course, but sometimes it takes a disaster as big as this to kick our complacent Western society up the behind and help us realise what a godawful fucking mess the rest of the world's in too. Stuff like this is going on everywhere, but only when our privileged, sheltered, "it'll never happen to me" lifestyle is directly threatened do we sit up and take notice.

"It's such a brutal planet, it's such an ugly world..."

W

Originally posted by spawn
Of course, this could all be a cover up for the US having to shoot down the plane, as they had FBI agents on the scene and taking over investigation as soon as it happend.
I hate to say it, but if the US did shoot it down, I cant condemn it as it could have possibly killed many more people had it hit its target (supposedly the whitehouse).

Actually it seems to have been targetted for Camp David. I can only assume the terrorists thought Bush was there. He wasn't, so obviously their intelligence wasn't as perfect as we have been led to believe. It appears that the passengers attempted to retake the plane. The hijackers appear to have been armed only with knives and were outnumbered ten to one, judging by the estimates given by the FAA. The pilot might have either ditched the plane on purpose when he found out what was being planned, or there was some kind of struggle at the controls. As for the FBI being there, even if the other crashes hadn't happened, if there was the suspicion of terrorists being involved, they would have been there anyway.

Originally posted by phlogiston
Even the UK's had IRA car bombs for years.
Why are people jacking up about this now? Just 'cos some Americans got killed? Fuck. Terrorism's nothing new.

They may not be out in the street waving guns and flags and stuff, but there'll be celebration just the same.

I get yr point phloggy but these people will not stop - they need to be stopped. They are raised to be fanatical and have no other point of view than the one that is drummed into them from an early age. Yes the rest of the world will be happy when these people are brought to justice (in whatever way the USA decides what is deserved) but no-one will be celebrating - they will just be relieved that the threat from these people (at least) is gone - or they will be hopeful anyway. If the USA and the rest of the world wants to eraddicate the terrorists - they have to make a HUGE example of the people and/or countries responsible for this attack.

(As for the UK - what they have experienced as far as IRA bombings - although horrible - is nothing compared to the magnitude of this attack - this is huge and will change the way the world is forever.)
I cannot be proud of the hatred I felt for those people I saw laughing and cheering at the fate of so many innocent people - but I felt it all the same - does that make me as bad as them?

Tish has finished ranting and raving and takes a huge breath!!
Phloggy - all this was not directed at you - just wanted to say some stuff :)

Originally posted by Morticia

I cannot be proud of the hatred I felt for those people I saw laughing and cheering at the fate of so many innocent people - but I felt it all the same - does that make me as bad as them?

No it doesnt. Would you run and celebrate if they were killed? Of course you wouldnt. Dont feel bad Tish, I dont know anyone that didnt feel the same when they saw it.

Spawnys about to get confrontaional with noone in particluar, just wants to get this off his chest.................

Before anyone says "but they live a different life and see the US as the enemy" you didnt see people celebrating in the streets that we dropped a nuclear bomb on japan (the enemy).

Spawny resumes regular programming.

Good - glad I'm not a hateful person - I just want someone to make them see - just cos their religion is important to them - it is not the RIGHT religion or the WRONG religion - just their belief and not one to be forced on anyone else - however one last point I have to make about this whole mess is:

Afghans have been seen and filmed executing Christians for sharing their beliefs......(i know christians can go a bit overboard - but surely they can be told this without having their heads blown off!!)
Many Muslims live in America and share their beliefs in a number of ways (the internet included) yet do NOT get executed for doing so.

Get my point???
They're fucking animals who have no respect for any other religion or for innocent people who did not ask for this.

Why am I so angry?? This hasn't hust any of my family or anyone I actually know -yet I want to see these people hung!! Cos I believe in freedon of speech, choice and opinion!!

So glad to be a KIWI!!