What's Wrong with the iPhone

Kazrog

Kazrog, Inc.
Mar 6, 2002
California
kazrog.com
I've had an iPhone 3G since it was first released, and in this time I've realized that I am actually pretty unhappy about a variety of things about it, but that I'm not going to ditch it until something much better comes along, either from Apple or another company.

Here's what's wrong with the iPhone:
  1. The ridiculously restrictive rules of engagement
  2. The lack of a physical keyboard (sorry, but the touchscreen keyboard sucks)
  3. The lack of native voice dialing
  4. The complete disregard for ergonomics in the design
  5. The weak "vibrate" mode (useless)
  6. The quiet speaker phone mode (also useless)
  7. The bug-ridden Maps app with incredibly poor UI
Here's what's good about the iPhone:
  1. Safari (the best browser on any phone available today)
  2. Some good third party apps
  3. Cydia and Installer (but Apple, the soup Nazi doesn't want you to use them!)
Apple needs to fix the problems, and then they will have a good phone. In the mean time, all they have is a crippled PDA with poor telephony features.

All it will take to get me to ditch my iPhone 3G is a phone with (A) a physical keypad and (B) native Mozilla Fennec browsing with 3G and WiFi.

Thoughts?

I've been using a 2g since firmware 1.1.3 and i do disagree on some points.

I can type near perfectly with my keyboard (and i have mine patched with extra scandinavian keys so everything is about 10% smaller and more cramped) just need to practise.

Speaker phone on my 2g is loud enough to listen to music in the shower.

There is an app that does voice dialing, never used it as i don't need it.

I bought my iPhone for when i was touring... i hated needing 3 plug points to charge laptop, phone, mp3 player! haha!
Also used it for dealing with schdule and flight tickets etc.

Now, it's really just a phone... It's not perfect but yeah... Beats nokia anyday!

i have to say i disagree as well... strongly on a number of points..

1. the "rules of engagement", too broad of a descriptor at any rate, are fine by me as i see them.. not caused me one bit of trouble... i don't have the time to fully explore all of the cool "allowed" possibilities of the iPhone, much less to dick around with the ever expanding "jail-broken" side.

2. i absolutely LOVE the keyboard... so easy on the fingers, no physical keys to stick or wear out... a problem i've head with 2 previous phones... and i can type fast as hell on it very accurately. there is a trick to it, most people figure it out fast enough... you can't try to type with the tips of your fingers/thumbs as you would on a hardware keyboard, you have to use the pads. think about it... makes total sense, and it works: when you type with the tips, the pads are touching the nearby keys... on a hardware keyboard this is fine because all the pressure is in the tips and that's what gets pressed. on a touch-screen keyboard the pads still end up touching other "keys" nearby... since no pressure is required they get "pressed".... so you just hit the keys with your pads. it's very easy to get used to and it's waaay less stress on your fingers over time. i LOVE that keyboard now.

3. don't care about voice dialing... never used it on my phones that had it, and i hate having to repeat myself to them sometimes to make sure i'm speaking clearly enough, and really hate when it dials the wrong number because 2 of my contacts have similar sounding names.

4. heh... i think the phone is incredibly ergonomic.. i love the design.. it's a beautiful phone that feels fantastic in my hands... what do you want it to be shaped like, a banana?? what exactly are you DOING with your phones Shane? :lol: ;)

5. you must wear thicker clothes/have thicker skin than me... i leave mine on vibrate a lot and always catch my calls... it's a nice vibrate level for me... not so strong that everyone in a quiet room will hear it buzzing, but totally enough to feel it just fine.

6. speaker phone works fine for me, no problem hearing it.

7. i get around the maps app fine, and use it to navigate every new place i go... but i do agree with you on this one.... they need to add true GPS to this and i believe they will.

*8*. APPS APPS APPS!!!! i have so many killer music apps on my iphone it's retarded. the Guitar Toolkit app alone makes the iPhone a no-brainer for me. i used it to teach the SWWAATS guitarist (band whose nuclear blast debut i recently produced & mixed) what notes he could play in his solos, and i practice with it all the time.

hands down the best phone ever created, with the best support system and third party developer base EVER... and it only took you a year to start crying about it, ;)

I 100% echo James' post. I love my iphone. It isn't flawless but aspects are so revolutionary (read actually does what it claims) compared to other 'smart phones' I've owned that it is hard to focus on the complaints for very long.
It is the best tour device invented so far IMHO.

I'd straightup kill for a TMobile G1... but I'm on AT&T :(.

I just got a G1 two days ago with my tax return. Fuckin killer phone! My bassist has an iPhone 3G and we're still debating who's phone's got more balls (but the G1's kickin ass so far)

I love technology :worship:

I thought about getting a G1 for some time but since I'm basically carrying my little Eee PC netbook everywhere for travelling/touring, I don't really need another gizmo that's "smarter" than my current Nokia.

But if I had the cash to spare, I'd definitely get the G1, not an iPhone.

Just got a Blackberry Bold... need mine for more business oriented shit than what iPhones typically do.

So far I dig it... pretty slick, and damn fast.

Im not huge on apps, but, maybe Ill see what's out there and all that shit.

Psshh, you guys, I'm still using this!

motorola-slvr-g.jpg

For touring though, I'd get a smart phone (is that the general name for these all-in-one phones?) in a hot second!

Just got a Blackberry Bold... need mine for more business oriented shit than what iPhones typically do.

So far I dig it... pretty slick, and damn fast.

Im not huge on apps, but, maybe Ill see what's out there and all that shit.
the only "business oriented shit" that blackberrys were doing that other phones weren't was Push Email, Push Calendars, and Push Contacts. iPhone does all the PUSH shit flawlessly. they had a hiccup with it on roll-out, but ironed it out in less than one billing cycle and it's been tits ever since.

I'm sure that some of the other devices are better now. When I went shopping around xmas, I wanted to like the storm b/c I like verizon's service but after 20 minutes of playing with it in the store I found it unusable. I went to the apple store and had loaded a playlist, sent a text and an email and was browsing this forum in under 5 minutes. Obviously YMMV but I was sold. FWIW my iphone is sync'd with my work email and calendar.

The storm is retarded. BB shoulda stuck with what they do... well, they did, with the Bold, and ATT picked up that one, soooo.

BB has its own software services... some jobs require getting a BB because of that shit... thats basically what I was getting at. I havent used it yet, but, just as well picked one up in case I need to.