What's Wrong with the iPhone

Actually, I work on a college campus and it is nice to have the 3g seamlessly cover the weaker/dead areas as I walk around. Also, with any luck you'll actually leave campus occasionally:D- not to say that I don't get your point.
Your school will probably entitle you to a 15% discount on ATT service so that will help make up the difference.

Hahaha, and god forbid people could subsist without the internet at their fingertips every waking minute, anywhere! :loco:

I work on cell phones and I can honestly say you're better off going the latter (HTC/Blackberry/etc.)

I base my opinion largely on the fact that there is no external storage options with an iPhone, which has been standard in most phones for years now, and the ability to have my entire music/video/picture collection in a packet of sd cards (per-say, going on a vacation and you want to take tons of photos/videos, while being able to listen to all of your music and watch your tv shows bla bla)

Secondly, EVERY single touchscreen on the market as of right now still have problems, and I'm sticking with keyboards until they fix this trash shit they send people. This is an instant turn-off for me. And yes, many of them also have service problems although I believe the newest versions have fixed that.

If you want a handheld game system then by all means go for the iPhone, but other than that it's pretty much sub-par for a PDA. Even things like the camera are below average for such a pricey phone (2Megapixels) while others averaging around 3-5ish. It may just be me but I just can't justify any reason to get an iPhone over the other PDAs.

i think we get a better deal in terms of the tarriff in england.
Its just £35 a month for the 8gb model including unimited internet.
got mine the day it came out.
P.s Check the apple site for the preview of iPhone os3
* Search your iPhone
* Cut, copy and paste
* Send photos, contacts, audio files and location via MMS*
* Read and compose email and text messages in landscape

FINALLY

I own a HTC touch HD. This is a dream, the best looking handy of all time and an absolute multimedia star imo. And the best thing is..I also can phone with it hahaha :)

You can see it here: http://www.amazon.com/HTC-Touch-HD-Unlocked-International/dp/B001KU7NOU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1237416984&sr=8-1

This handy I will certainly own longer than 1 year. I love it!

I got an HTC touch diamond (would love to upgrade to a hd or a touch 2)
Everything is working fine, I'm have also coded some programms for it etc. Will upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.5 in a few days, the build that are out there are very good.
I also tried the Android alpha on my touch, works pretty good for a alpha.

@smy1, metaltastic had my meaning right.

@tobin1, your feelings and opinions about the iPhone are entirely subjective. i find it FAR cooler, easier, and hassle free to manage my iPhone contnet via my laptop with iTunes actiing as the VERY robust interface for that task.... SD cards just add another level of hassle and little annoying chips to keep track of. the touchscreen works beautifully for me and i can type very fast and accurately with it... and it's far less stress on my thumbs/fingers when doing loads of texts and tweets* (such a gay name, lol) and shit like that. i personally don't give a fuck about the camera on the iphone.. if you are seriously looking to have your cell phone as your main camera as well then carry on... but i just use it for quick snapshots and the quality is fine. in short, i don't find it a "sub-par" PDA at all.. in fact i think it's the best PDA EVER.... apps... apps.... APPS.

I've had an iPhone 3G since it was first released, and in this time I've realized that I am actually pretty unhappy about a variety of things about it, but that I'm not going to ditch it until something much better comes along, either from Apple or another company.

Here's what's wrong with the iPhone:
  1. The ridiculously restrictive rules of engagement
  2. The lack of a physical keyboard (sorry, but the touchscreen keyboard sucks)
  3. The lack of native voice dialing
  4. The complete disregard for ergonomics in the design
  5. The weak "vibrate" mode (useless)
  6. The quiet speaker phone mode (also useless)
  7. The bug-ridden Maps app with incredibly poor UI
Here's what's good about the iPhone:
  1. Safari (the best browser on any phone available today)
  2. Some good third party apps
  3. Cydia and Installer (but Apple, the soup Nazi doesn't want you to use them!)
Apple needs to fix the problems, and then they will have a good phone. In the mean time, all they have is a crippled PDA with poor telephony features.

All it will take to get me to ditch my iPhone 3G is a phone with (A) a physical keypad and (B) native Mozilla Fennec browsing with 3G and WiFi.

Thoughts?

fuckin' a man, i don't even HAVE a cell phone...

there have always been more apps for windows OS than Mac OS. and there have always more GOOD apps for Mac OS than WIndows OS. lol

seriously though, i know there are some cool wm apps, but there greatest majority are shite.... lots of shite IPAs too, but the average person, especially musician, will find far more to connect to with the IPA selection as opposed to the wm lexicon.

there have always been more apps for windows OS than Mac OS. and there have always more GOOD apps for Mac OS than WIndows OS. lol

seriously though, i know there are some cool wm apps, but there greatest majority are shite.... lots of shite IPAs too, but the average person, especially musician, will find far more to connect too with the IPA selection as opposed to the wm lexicon.

probably, I just have seen a bunch of fun apps on the iphone so far, so its worthless. that recognizing music programm was awesome. but I got a little paranoid after the whole safari for windows thing disaster. hopefully they are better programmers on their plattform. I buyed my phone for my exams I coded a programm in C# so it had to be a wm phone. If the iphone gets some more features and wm 7 will not be the overkill like it looks like I might try it.

_______

but whats the point in getting apps (you have to pay for) that give you features, your phone should normally have (read wm has)

Ick... C#... why?

James, if you don't like SD cards there is the option of not using them... I almost got an 8G Touch just out of curiosity, but there was no damned card slot and that killed it instantly. I suspect something different to be at play... the price difference between the 8GB and 16GB Touch is $70, but an 8GB MicroSD card will be less than a third of that. Not that I'd *ever* suspect that electronics companies want to make more money... but my damned cellphone has a headphone adapter and an SD slot and I simply don't need an MP3 player as a result of a feature I didn't even know about when I bought the thing.

Jeff

I totally abandoned my own thread due to being busy, but I want to make a few new points:

In spite of my gripes, I actually like my iPhone a lot and firmly believe it's the best phone available. I've also taken James' advice and I am finding the typing to be a bit easier - thanks for the tip!

At the end of the day it's a very useful mobile computing device with lots of cool features and some great apps. That being said, there was something more immediate, ergonomic, and simple about the old analog, monochrome display Nokia phones, that I've missed ever since the push to digital, that I'd like to see return in some way that makes sense on a smartphone.

I still think the best pure cell phone design of all time was the Nokia 8260:

nokia_8260-1.jpeg

It's .net-and-fuck-all-else compatible. You're locking your code into a very limited world - C or C++ will do anything you need without restricting you to any platform.

Jeff

It's .net-and-fuck-all-else compatible. You're locking your code into a very limited world - C or C++ will do anything you need without restricting you to any platform.

Jeff

I know c++ but it's a windows mobile phone, so I sticked to c# for my exams (easy, good looking and fast to programm)

I could have done the same for an android but it wan't available at that time and my java (?) isn't that good anymore.