Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Dissection

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Immortal

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Leviathan

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Haven't heard all of the bands in the poll, but there's something about weakling that is just so damn good (thanks again saut!).

Enslaved are No1. Agalloch would be my 2 choice, but I think they are more than just a "BM" band. There is so much more going on within their arrangements. Negura Bunget, is taking the torch for the future of BM, along with Drudkh. Burzum, early Emperor, early Immortal, early Satyricon and the like (2 wave) along with Enslaved IMO, are the "true" pioneers of this genre. And you can't forget Bathory's major influence. BTW, I always believed Darkthrone to be incredibly(hate this word) overrated.

Have you heard Wolves in the Throne Room Dave? Check it out if you haven't.

Were they on the list? I still think my choice would remain the same... but I LOVE WitTR! I'm on a mission right now to find more BM along the lines of Weakling and WitTR. Any recs? I like the long, meandering, atmospheric stuff. I mean, if you associated WitTR with my Weakling choice, you know what I mean.

I'm pretty new to BM (I had a thread about where to start with Emperor a few months ago, if that gives you some idea...), and it already seems to me like there are some significantly different styles within the genre. But right now I'm looking for BM to sort of lose myself in, you know?

ibh... black metal doesnt really do anything for me, the only band i can really enjoy of that sort is enslaved

Were they on the list? I still think my choice would remain the same... but I LOVE WitTR! I'm on a mission right now to find more BM along the lines of Weakling and WitTR. Any recs? I like the long, meandering, atmospheric stuff. I mean, if you associated WitTR with my Weakling choice, you know what I mean.

I'm pretty new to BM (I had a thread about where to start with Emperor a few months ago, if that gives you some idea...), and it already seems to me like there are some significantly different styles within the genre. But right now I'm looking for BM to sort of lose myself in, you know?

Humm, I don't know any bands in the lines of WitTR/Weakling. But if you like atmospheric stuff, check out Xasthur. The approach is certainly different though.

Check it out with Nachtmystium live:

Last edited by a moderator: