Your favorite Viking band.

don't see Bathory as viking metal.

fail.jpg

ummmmmm have you even listened to Blood on Ice, Hammerheart and Blood Fire Death?

Still impressed you managed to conclude that Bathory isn't viking metal. Takes a lot of effort to block out logic and reason like that.

Their later work is simply Heavy Metal with viking themed lyrics. I'm talking about the actual music here, where your claims of the viking element fall short.

If I remember correctly the OP asked what our favourite viking metal band was, and you simply cannot argue whether or not Bathory is viking metal. Sure, it isn't metal with viking music in it. But it's metal with viking themes, which is exactly what viking metal is. Not to mention, Bathory simply pioneered the entire genre.

Viking metal is a term used in reference to heavy metal music with a dramatic emphasis on Norse mythology, Norse paganism, and the life and times of Northern and Central Europeans prior to the Christianization of Scandinavia.
- Source

If I remember correctly the OP asked what our favourite viking metal band was, and you simply cannot argue whether or not Bathory is viking metal. Sure, it isn't metal with viking music in it. But it's metal with viking themes, which is exactly what viking metal is. Not to mention, Bathory simply pioneered the entire genre.

- Source

If "Viking Metal" is just metal with viking themes, why not call it heavy metal? There were a lot of bands before Bathory that played metal and sung about the Vikings.

There are a whole heap of bands which call themselves Viking Metal and who add traditional scandinavian melodies to fast and vigorous music which is a basically metal with an array of death and black metal. I'd definitely agree that Mithotyn, Manegarm, Windir, Vintersorg and Tyr are some of these bands. I must confess, they do not have much in common with Bathory aside from lyrics. I have no idea who started it all off - probably Bathory but then if Bathory's music is the essence of Viking Metal then there is really no Viking Metal scene at all.

Viking metal IS characterized by lyrics. There are bands in folk, black, and death metal bands that, though completely different in sound, have been called Viking Metal. It's merely a sub-genre based entirely on a common lyrical theme.

Viking metal IS characterized by lyrics. There are bands in folk, black, and death metal bands that, though completely different in sound, have been called Viking Metal. It's merely a sub-genre based entirely on a common lyrical theme.

Nordland era Bathory, Einherjer, etc can not be clumped into the folk metal genre.

So let's get this straight. If Bathory (before Quorthon's death) started playing a lethal mix of glam-metal, metalcore and progressive-stoner-sludge-metal yet still sung about the vikings, you'd still call it Viking Metal?