Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Dissection

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Immortal

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Leviathan

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
yeah, don't see how ulver and summoning didnt make this list, whilst bands like agalloch do
Ulver made 1 black metal album, 1 blackened metal and 6 totally non-black metal ones. This is without counting the 4 electronic/ambiant EPs.

So, in the end, I think that Agalloch (with their 3 blackened metal albums) is much closer to what we can call a "black metal band" than Ulver.

As for Summoning, I guess I could have included them but I think their vibe is too far off from black metal but that's just me.

edit: Btw, what are the other "bands" like agalloch you are referring to?

Humm, I don't know any bands in the lines of WitTR/Weakling. But if you like atmospheric stuff, check out Xasthur. The approach is certainly different though.

Check it out with Nachtmystium live:

That was good. I'll have to check out more. My understanding is that Xasthur is all over the place stylistically (some stuff has a more electronic/ambient feel)... or am I way off?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ulver made 1 black metal album, 1 blackened metal and 6 totally non-black metal ones. This is without counting the 4 electronic/ambiant EPs.

So, in the end, I think that Agalloch (with their 3 blackened metal albums) is much closer to what we can call a "black metal band" than Ulver.

As for Summoning, I guess I could have included them but I think their vibe is too far off from black metal but that's just me.

edit: Btw, what are the other "bands" like agalloch you are referring to?

sadguru... when i said "bands like agalloch", that implies that the band isn't actually BM, not that there are other bands similar to agalloch on your list. sighhhh....

edit: it doesnt really matter how many albums they made, ulver's nattens madrigal and bergtatt are phenomenal and ulver should still be contestants, they're fantastic.

tough choice. but burzum beat out weakling for me for several reasons. so burzum it is.

p.s. sorry to see neither dodheimsgard or Nortt on the list in lieu of a few questionable choices on there though.

sadguru... when i said "bands like agalloch", that implies that the band isn't actually BM, not that there are other bands similar to agalloch on your list. sighhhh....

edit: it doesnt really matter how many albums they made, ulver's nattens madrigal and bergtatt are phenomenal and ulver should still be contestants, they're fantastic.
Yes, I see your point. Unfortunately, I can't please everyone. I very much agree with you about Nattens and Bergtatt being phenomenal albums. cheers.