Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Dissection

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Immortal

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Leviathan

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
i wouldn't call most of those bands BM, but whatever ...

no_blackmetal.jpg

its really not that hard. but i guess jumping into the genre this late in the game could be a bit more confusing than before there was 30 different sub genres of black metal, and 30000000 bands doing them.

here are some black metal albums which I have been listening to lately:

darkspace - darkspace I
beatrik - journey through the end of life
darkthrone - transylvanian hunger
summoning - oath bound
enslaved - ruun

its really not that hard. but i guess jumping into the genre this late in the game could be a bit more confusing than before there was 30 different sub genres of black metal, and 30000000 bands doing them.

For sure. Even more so for people who have been listening to metal for a short time. Best thing to do is to keep asking questions, keep reading interviews and articles, and of course, dig into the albums.

almost impossible to decide. In my opinion:

Agalloch 3 / 3 masterpieces (mainly they aren´t a black metal band. They have black metal influences)
Immortal: 2 masterpieces.
Diseection 2 / 3 masterpieces. I consider "Storm of the light´s bane" best 90´s album.
Drudkh: Amazing melancholic black
Enslaved: 5 masterpieces. (I think since "Below the lights" they aren´t exactly black metal)
Emperor: 4 / 4 masterpieces. (For me, "Prometheus" isn´t exactly black metal)

I voted for Emperor but any of them deserved the vote.

For sure. Even more so for people who have been listening to metal for a short time. Best thing to do is to keep asking questions, keep reading interviews and articles, and of course, dig into the albums.

absolutely. i think back 8 years ago...and what was current at the time. even though black metal was over its hype period at that point for the most part, if someone mentioned "industrialized black metal"...the only bands that could really come to mind was zyklon-b or mysticum. if someone mentioned "norwegian" black metal, you either lashed out at bands like limbonic art and dimmu borgir and/or enjoyed emperor and burzum.

now theres just hundreds of bands from every country. no longer is a bands' description or genre tag, longevity in the scene or origin any indication of quality. and even less now is the frequency of valid entries and freshness. granted theres still handfuls of current and even newer black metal acts which are carrying the flag...but it definitely is daunting to keep up, let alone just get your feet wet now in "black metal" these days.

the later it was released = higher probability it sucks

and

a band's earlier releases are almost always better than their later ones

these are the cardinal blackmetal rules!