When did you stop believing in god?

Another thing to consider... I have heard several medical doctors say that the way the human body is set up it should not work and that it is a miracle that stuff isn't always going wrong with our bodies, that we really shouldn't even be alive. Furthermore it's common to hear doctors to say that patients who are in bad shape are more likely to survive if they have families that pray for them, no matter what the religion. That is not exactly concrete, empirical evidence, but it is interesting.

I doubt any of you are medical doctors. If you are, or maybe related to one, I would be curious to hear what you have to say about that.

I've been through two bone marrow transplants for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia and technically given very low odds of survival, but here I am 5 years out from my second one and disease free. The point being my doctors never said that to me - as a matter of fact the most useful information my primary oncologist gave me is to ignore the statistical odds, your either a 1 or a 0 in the binary sense, you either survive or you don't - there is no 30 percent or 25 percent, or ... ultimately when it comes down to the individual you make it through it or you don't.

While I'm sure friends and family said prayers for me, ultimately I'd personally credit the medicine and the science behind it as well as the incredible medical team I have.

praying for someone=you care and you want him/her to recover.

I'm with notuern on this. I've seen many cases of people getting worse with depression, however people that feel surrounded by their friends/family were quicker getting better.

Sadly, there are some cases where praying/caring/goat sacrifice won't help.

Not only being surrounded by caring loved ones, but I personally never doubted that I would survive. I'm very much and optimistic guy, the glass is always half full.

Sure I was sick as hell, my immune system reset to zero and dealt with a lost week when my kidneys shut down and I was completely out of it (I have no memory except for the stories my wife and parents tell me of 6 days during my second transplant), but I never worried about what might happen.

I do believe a positive outlook was helpful for me.

Lets stop OT'ing, if someone wants to keep that discussion rolling: New thread
Let this one breathe for a while longer. ;)

sorry that was totally my fault

my point was
that sometimes people heal themselves instead of "god" healing them

people don't "rise from the dead" people don't re-grow missing limbs

all these "miraculous healings" that Christians think they experience are really just the human body healing itself in a natural way that isn't really miraculous at all

it is a miracle that stuff isn't always going wrong with our bodies

i could be a little off the mark here, but i was pretty sure that shit goes "wrong" with our bodies pretty regularly

i also remember hearing once that according to physicists, bumblebees shouldn't be able to fly...but guess what? they do, and i doubt it's because god wills it so.

also, it's pretty well common knowledge that those who maintain a positive outlook in regards to any kind of medical treatment heal better than those sit around and mope and feel sorry for themselves

To respond to the original question, for me it’s always an ongoing process to try and better understand religion and society, in general. Dunno if it’s even worth the time and effort(?) but I guess I’d rather be screwing others over money and position for a living if I wouldn’t think so :lol:

I think labels are divisive, so I too am not very comfortable calling myself an atheist, as for when you label yourself into a group, then oddly enough, all of a sudden you’re somehow responsible for the actions of others, the actions of strangers. Case in point, a religious affiliation such as Muslims, and the immediate generalizations and stereotyping it calls upon.

Religions feed on very basic and unalienable principles ingrained in humanity, such as the longing of most individuals to try and belong (or be herded) into groups, the avoidance of darkness and death (by cognitive animals, aware of their own mortality), and the logical impossibility and fallacy of trying to prove -or disprove- the existence of life after death. Come to think about it, the last 2 are really the same thing; man is self-aware of its frailties and instinctively wishes to avoid pain and death, and in doing so, knowingly deludes himself into agreeing to go against his own logic and ability to follow reason. What people refer to as ‘god’ is ultimately their own (perfectly natural) self-preservation, selfish instinct, which is more evolved in man than in other animals. In the mind of believers, god is ‘a place’, or ‘a being’, or ‘an order’, anything that helps them nurture the illusion that life has some intrinsic purpose -other than what they can give it-, and that once they die, they won’t really ‘die’. That very primal fear is the ultimate fuel of religions, and enables vile and opportunistic men to promise you all sorts of heaven later.. to control you NOW.

As for an ‘order’ to human life, I vaguely remember (either watching a Discovery show a couple of months ago or reading about) scientists recently explaining it through a series of quantum theory (and even relativistic I think) principles; that which we humans perceive as ‘order’, ‘fate’ or ‘random’ and cannot be explained solely by variables like routine, controlled environment, individual personalities, etc.

I think selfishness and ignorance are the natural states of the individual; it requires a conscious effort from society to teach individuals on the values and practicalities inherent in civility, respect for one another, the moral principle (sequestered by religion, like so many other moral principles) of not doing to others what you wouldn’t want others to do to you, etc. A.C Clarke said it best: ''One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion. So now people assume that religion and morality have a necessary connection. But the basis of morality is really very simple and doesn't require religion at all''.

The ultimate goal in the advancement of any society’s moral values should be headed towards the pursuit of Freedom. Amongst many others, Freedom from priests, kings, presidents, governments and any other human figures -or institutions- who claim they have the right to rule you. I think Freedom is the truly opposite of enslavement and ownership, of man by man that is.

Religion and other forms of human control have a significant role in much of the world's problems, but I think more than those necessarily being just the cause, religion/worship is the key enabling element by which people are able to take a break from morality and turn their back on reasoning and common sense, which in turn facilitates the exertion of all kinds of violence, directly or indirectly. As Pascal said, ‘Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions’.

Religion is ultimately about control. Divide and conquer. Make the pawns fight one another over somewhat irrelevant technicalities, while those arisen into position get to retain -and grow- wealth and power, by preying on human sentiments and ignorance. Forget imagined ghosts floating around layers in the atmosphere, or the degrading chemical connections in the brain of a recently deceased person trans-mutating somehow into another biological entity, or whatever other wishful myth. Religion (or politics, if you want) is man trying to rule over their fellow man, struggling to exert control and power over one another.

However I think religion (whether one likes it or not) is also a logical and obvious development in the history of humanity: from early worshiping of nature, to when human figures of authority threw their fellow man into volcanoes out of fear and ignorance, to when women got burned at the stake, etc. My guess is the only time and point at which science could ultimately truly replace religion (or at least overshadow it satisfactory enough) will minimally be so as to when the technology is reached to achieve a digital/bio-mechanical/biological form of immortality, but more so than keeping a sentient being ‘existing’ (which by then could even be a philosophical debate), it would also have to encompass the ability to physically reach mastery of things such as the expansion and control of the entire universe (either as to refrain it from the point where each star will have distanced itself far apart from each other enough so that any form of advanced civilization is considered to be impossible, or say, also a capacity to avoid the proposed possibility of its implosion, or regression to a ‘big bang’ state). For all intents and purposes, we all will be long, LONG gone before any of that remotely begins to happen, so I can relate to not seeing any use in obsessing about it, too (although I find quite interesting to try and understand the subject).
Even though scientists foretell in just a few generations mankind could reach digital immortality and exponential leaps in longevity, the lack of control over nature’s phenomena -minimal as it might become-, will always remain an argument for those who long to ‘believe’.

Religion and science are really diametrically opposed, in that religion conceives an idea and then tries to make it true by all means necessary -including violence and force-, whereas science makes a discovery and then immediately sets to disprove it, just to make sure it’s as correct as possible, before everyone makes idiots of themselves. Science is a journey of discovery, with no end.

I largely agree with Jind on his posts, really excellent ones, btw ;) I too think it's very important to make emphasis on the value of having a civil discussion and ultimately try and respect one another; that is, if you REALLY want to think of yourself as a person opposed to religions (or at least, to the many negative aspects of it). Tempting as might be, it is rather religious behavior to want to ridicule and mock others, use insults, symbols, provocations and make a conscious and exhaustive effort to try and make others feel excluded if they don't share the ideas you have; or in the case of religion, the ideas that in turn have been imposed onto you by means of fear and deception. If you truly want to be the opposite of religion, then you use common sense, not violence towards those who think differently than you. The true enemies of religion are common sense and reason, and in terms of society, respect for one another.
That said, you can produce discussion by either appealing to reason, or by violence. Airplanes being crashed onto skyscrapers surely get the talk going for example; perhaps more so than other means. Or say, firing back by ridiculing other people’s beliefs with provocative caricatures. The violent way is practical, but it isn’t moral. It is ultimately religious.

Hooray for science journalism and rumour... We do know how they fly, they just do it in such a way that undergrad fluid dynamics make it look impossible.

Someone read it on the internet so it must be true ;)

Whoa, this thread saved itself from the brink. :loco:

Now, I'm not the smartest or most read around here on these issues, but anyway, touching on some of them presented here..

On the subject of freedom, we must never forget that the whole concept also validates the action of choosing to be a part of a group/ideology. If someone chooses to be a mindless slave, then shouldn't we allow that? But of course, we also should fight against injustice where we see it and thus do everything in our power (save for perhaps resorting to violence) to make sure it doesn't happen or at least argue the case against. I remember reading in school about negative freedom and positive freedom. One leads to chaos and anarchy and the other individual freedom within confined parameters. So which is better? Most would argue (and societies wouldn't really function without) the latter.

For my part, I'm not quite sure I ever really started nor did I stop believing in a higher power. The scifi/fantasy nerd in me would love the idea of a higher deity but that same nerd finds the universe so fascinating as-is and it doesn't really need a "god". I guess I stand in the agnostic camp on this issue.

One thing that I've always found funny, is the idea that satanists / satan worshippers and the like (yeah yeah) are the "worst enemy of religion". Think about it. In order for them to fight it, they need to also accept that God (christian, islam, hindu, judaism etc.) is real - at last to the people / organisations they fight against. One needs the other, right? But the way I see it, it's the atheists who are the real enemies of religion since they reject the notion of God out of hand.

I'm rambling and maybe I'm naïve in my thinking, but.. yeah, whatever.. :saint:

But the way I see it, it's the atheists who are the real enemies of religion since they reject the notion of God out of hand.

I'm much more of the mindset that the biggest enemies of religion are religion itself. Think about all the skirmishes raging worldwide and throughout history over ones beliefs pitted against another's.

As, like you, I would probably count me in the agnostic camp - if agnosticism is defined as being indifferent to the existence or non-existence of a god - either way it plays absolutely no swaying influence in my worldview.

I'm more apt to rile against hypocritical thinking more so than religions belief itself and find that any belief or non-belief when taken to extremes is destructive. I could make a case that by being an ardent and intolerant non-believer is ultimately just trading one cult for the other (having to go out of ones way to bash any others belief), your simply wearing another causes uniform.

Just as I've always found humor in both metal heads and bikers considering themselves "rebels" and "freedom seeking" individuals, all the while being the most uniform wearing mother fuckers in the world, not to mention the overall cliqueness of it all and the constant need to point out when someone falls out of line with the groups mentality, it just really makes me giggle a little bit at the thinking behind the interpretation of freedom going on with anyone thinking they are absolutely right while others are absolutely wrong.

It's all just another brand/color of kool-aid when you take any side of a cause completely.

I'm much more of the mindset that the biggest enemies of religion are religion itself. Think about all the skirmishes raging worldwide and throughout history over ones beliefs pitted against another's.

As, like you, I would probably count me in the agnostic camp - if agnosticism is defined as being indifferent to the existence or non-existence of a god - either way it plays absolutely no swaying influence in my worldview.

I'm more apt to rile against hypocritical thinking more so than religions belief itself and find that any belief or non-belief when taken to extremes is destructive. I could make a case that by being an ardent and intolerant non-believer is ultimately just trading one cult for the other (having to go out of ones way to bash any others belief), your simply wearing another causes uniform.

Just as I've always found humor in both metal heads and bikers considering themselves "rebels" and "freedom seeking" individuals, all the while being the most uniform wearing mother fuckers in the world, not to mention the overall cliqueness of it all and the constant need to point out when someone falls out of line with the groups mentality, it just really makes me giggle a little bit at the thinking behind the interpretation of freedom going on with anyone thinking they are absolutely right while others are absolutely wrong.

It's all just another brand/color of kool-aid when you take any side of a cause completely.

Good point and I whole-heartedly agree on the whole uniform thing! :lol:

I maybe be hypocritical in my agnosticisim, but I reserve the right to change my opinion if someone comes up with proof positive (for me) of a higher power existing. Then I'll just sit back and say: "Wow, that's cool." and :D

But really.. You just got to laugh at it all, otherwise what's the point? :Spin:

Hooray for science journalism and rumour... We do know how they fly, they just do it in such a way that undergrad fluid dynamics make it look impossible.

for the record, i didn't try to claim such as fact...which is why i states "i once heard"...and also for the record, i recall being told such as a small kid, before even shitty dial-up internet services existed!

To respond to the original question, for me it’s always an ongoing process to try and better understand religion and society, in general. Dunno if it’s even worth the time and effort(?) but I guess I’d rather be screwing others over money and position for a living if I wouldn’t think so :lol:

I think labels are divisive, so I too am not very comfortable calling myself an atheist, as for when you label yourself into a group, then oddly enough, all of a sudden you’re somehow responsible for the actions of others, the actions of strangers. Case in point, a religious affiliation such as Muslims, and the immediate generalizations and stereotyping it calls upon.

Religions feed on very basic and unalienable principles ingrained in humanity, such as the longing of most individuals to try and belong (or be herded) into groups, the avoidance of darkness and death (by cognitive animals, aware of their own mortality), and the logical impossibility and fallacy of trying to prove -or disprove- the existence of life after death. Come to think about it, the last 2 are really the same thing; man is self-aware of its frailties and instinctively wishes to avoid pain and death, and in doing so, knowingly deludes himself into agreeing to go against his own logic and ability to follow reason. What people refer to as ‘god’ is ultimately their own (perfectly natural) self-preservation, selfish instinct, which is more evolved in man than in other animals. In the mind of believers, god is ‘a place’, or ‘a being’, or ‘an order’, anything that helps them nurture the illusion that life has some intrinsic purpose -other than what they can give it-, and that once they die, they won’t really ‘die’. That very primal fear is the ultimate fuel of religions, and enables vile and opportunistic men to promise you all sorts of heaven later.. to control you NOW.

As for an ‘order’ to human life, I vaguely remember (either watching a Discovery show a couple of months ago or reading about) scientists recently explaining it through a series of quantum theory (and even relativistic I think) principles; that which we humans perceive as ‘order’, ‘fate’ or ‘random’ and cannot be explained solely by variables like routine, controlled environment, individual personalities, etc.

I think selfishness and ignorance are the natural states of the individual; it requires a conscious effort from society to teach individuals on the values and practicalities inherent in civility, respect for one another, the moral principle (sequestered by religion, like so many other moral principles) of not doing to others what you wouldn’t want others to do to you, etc. A.C Clarke said it best: ''One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion. So now people assume that religion and morality have a necessary connection. But the basis of morality is really very simple and doesn't require religion at all''.

The ultimate goal in the advancement of any society’s moral values should be headed towards the pursuit of Freedom. Amongst many others, Freedom from priests, kings, presidents, governments and any other human figures -or institutions- who claim they have the right to rule you. I think Freedom is the truly opposite of enslavement and ownership, of man by man that is.

Religion and other forms of human control have a significant role in much of the world's problems, but I think more than those necessarily being just the cause, religion/worship is the key enabling element by which people are able to take a break from morality and turn their back on reasoning and common sense, which in turn facilitates the exertion of all kinds of violence, directly or indirectly. As Pascal said, ‘Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions’.

Religion is ultimately about control. Divide and conquer. Make the pawns fight one another over somewhat irrelevant technicalities, while those arisen into position get to retain -and grow- wealth and power, by preying on human sentiments and ignorance. Forget imagined ghosts floating around layers in the atmosphere, or the degrading chemical connections in the brain of a recently deceased person trans-mutating somehow into another biological entity, or whatever other wishful myth. Religion (or politics, if you want) is man trying to rule over their fellow man, struggling to exert control and power over one another.

However I think religion (whether one likes it or not) is also a logical and obvious development in the history of humanity: from early worshiping of nature, to when human figures of authority threw their fellow man into volcanoes out of fear and ignorance, to when women got burned at the stake, etc. My guess is the only time and point at which science could ultimately truly replace religion (or at least overshadow it satisfactory enough) will minimally be so as to when the technology is reached to achieve a digital/bio-mechanical/biological form of immortality, but more so than keeping a sentient being ‘existing’ (which by then could even be a philosophical debate), it would also have to encompass the ability to physically reach mastery of things such as the expansion and control of the entire universe (either as to refrain it from the point where each star will have distanced itself far apart from each other enough so that any form of advanced civilization is considered to be impossible, or say, also a capacity to avoid the proposed possibility of its implosion, or regression to a ‘big bang’ state). For all intents and purposes, we all will be long, LONG gone before any of that remotely begins to happen, so I can relate to not seeing any use in obsessing about it, too (although I find quite interesting to try and understand the subject).
Even though scientists foretell in just a few generations mankind could reach digital immortality and exponential leaps in longevity, the lack of control over nature’s phenomena -minimal as it might become-, will always remain an argument for those who long to ‘believe’.

Religion and science are really diametrically opposed, in that religion conceives an idea and then tries to make it true by all means necessary -including violence and force-, whereas science makes a discovery and then immediately sets to disprove it, just to make sure it’s as correct as possible, before everyone makes idiots of themselves. Science is a journey of discovery, with no end.

I largely agree with Jind on his posts, really excellent ones, btw ;) I too think it's very important to make emphasis on the value of having a civil discussion and ultimately try and respect one another; that is, if you REALLY want to think of yourself as a person opposed to religions (or at least, to the many negative aspects of it). Tempting as might be, it is rather religious behavior to want to ridicule and mock others, use insults, symbols, provocations and make a conscious and exhaustive effort to try and make others feel excluded if they don't share the ideas you have; or in the case of religion, the ideas that in turn have been imposed onto you by means of fear and deception. If you truly want to be the opposite of religion, then you use common sense, not violence towards those who think differently than you. The true enemies of religion are common sense and reason, and in terms of society, respect for one another.
That said, you can produce discussion by either appealing to reason, or by violence. Airplanes being crashed onto skyscrapers surely get the talk going for example; perhaps more so than other means. Or say, firing back by ridiculing other people’s beliefs with provocative caricatures. The violent way is practical, but it isn’t moral. It is ultimately religious.

Whoa, this thread saved itself from the brink. :loco:

Now, I'm not the smartest or most read around here on these issues, but anyway, touching on some of them presented here..

On the subject of freedom, we must never forget that the whole concept also validates the action of choosing to be a part of a group/ideology. If someone chooses to be a mindless slave, then shouldn't we allow that? But of course, we also should fight against injustice where we see it and thus do everything in our power (save for perhaps resorting to violence) to make sure it doesn't happen or at least argue the case against. I remember reading in school about negative freedom and positive freedom. One leads to chaos and anarchy and the other individual freedom within confined parameters. So which is better? Most would argue (and societies wouldn't really function without) the latter.

For my part, I'm not quite sure I ever really started nor did I stop believing in a higher power. The scifi/fantasy nerd in me would love the idea of a higher deity but that same nerd finds the universe so fascinating as-is and it doesn't really need a "god". I guess I stand in the agnostic camp on this issue.

One thing that I've always found funny, is the idea that satanists / satan worshippers and the like (yeah yeah) are the "worst enemy of religion". Think about it. In order for them to fight it, they need to also accept that God (christian, islam, hindu, judaism etc.) is real - at last to the people / organisations they fight against. One needs the other, right? But the way I see it, it's the atheists who are the real enemies of religion since they reject the notion of God out of hand.

I'm rambling and maybe I'm naïve in my thinking, but.. yeah, whatever.. :saint:

could everybody just respond to these 2 posts^^ instead of talking about the stupid bees

A perfect example of why I lost faith in the church I was raised in and in general have come to my conclusions that the inability to modernize, to change dogma and doctrine with new dynamics, is what will eventually lead many to non-belief can be found in this article about hardcore Catholic traditionalist seeing Pope Francis washing the feet of two women (against cannon law in Catholicism) as the "last straw" in several moves he has made since becoming Pope.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/eu...ionalists/FUkH78BhqQjR4IdQE8Ye4K/story-1.html

Even as an agnostic I still have an interest in the various religions of the world and since I was once a semi practicing Catholic, happenings in Catholicism still peak my interest and I readily admit that the election of the first Franciscan as Pope interested me as Franciscans have traditionally represented the vows of poverty and communal ownership of monastic life - much of which seems very counter to what we see in the Roman Catholic Church. Franciscans tend to lead very simple lives and focus on care for the poor, already something this Pope has demonstrated in his short time as the leader of the Catholic faith. He has disregarded the fanciful garb of Benedict the XVI and worn the simple white cassock for his papal apparel, he has forgone the palatial papal apartment (his comment was that it could house 300 people) for a much smaller, simple apartment. For his masses he has said many of them down with the people and not from high up on the dais.

All these things are really pissing off those that saw Vatican II as heresy - my favorite quote from the linked story is near the end where a South American traditionalist says of Pope Francis ‘‘He cultivates a militant humility, but can prove humiliating for the church,’’ - perhaps the first time I've seen humility portrayed as a bad trait to have. It's as if these traditionalist need for the world to see them as infallible, truly above mere mortals and their human problems - like poverty.

I readily admit that while I had no care who the Catholics chose as the new Pope, I've found who they did elect as a breath of fresh air so far. While I doubt he will make what I think would be the drastic changes a modern church requires, at a minimum I respect that he is so far leading by example based upon what he sees as the churches connection to the simple man, the poor, the needy.

PS - I'm still agnostic in that any existence/non-existence of a god like entity plays no role in my life and firmly believe that organized religions seek to divide us, but I'll continue recognizing religious individuals that are willing to go against the grain and perhaps fuck with tradition (it's the liberal in me). ;)

Thread is to long and I didn't read.

Was brought up Christian. I remember thinking God was an asshole right around the age of 20.

I have watched people change their lives entirely for good by becoming Christian. Of course I also have watched people hide behind the bible to renforce the fact they are assholes.

There seems to be 2 groups, one way out does the other. Christians who preach come as you are it's all good because Jesus loves you exactly as you are, and those that hide behind the bible (what I really mean is misinterpret) to justify hate, oppression, greed, or anything else people can point out.

One thing I have concluded though is that being a Christian doesn't make you an asshole, being an asshole makes you an asshole.

Another thing to consider... I have heard several medical doctors say that the way the human body is set up it should not work and that it is a miracle that stuff isn't always going wrong with our bodies, that we really shouldn't even be alive.

Bull.

Shit.

Furthermore it's common to hear doctors to say that patients who are in bad shape are more likely to survive if they have families that pray for them, no matter what the religion. That is not exactly concrete, empirical evidence, but it is interesting.

I doubt any of you are medical doctors. If you are, or maybe related to one, I would be curious to hear what you have to say about that.

Who CARES what a doctor has to say about this????? Doctors are not scientists. If you want a reality check (you don't), you can look at real studies about medical effects of prayer. Here's a hint, they don't agree with what you just said.

But don't let that stand in the way of your faith:zzz:

Who CARES what a doctor has to say about this????? Doctors are not scientists.
Many doctors are in fact active researchers alongside their patient responsibilities. You are right to point to the proper studies though, anecdotes from a doctor are still just anecdotes.

If you want a reality check (you don't)

and that's the problem. GGI isn't really interested in learning how things actually work, because it's hard work and doesn't always lead to a nice juicy conspiracy he can masturbate over.

Many doctors are in fact active researchers alongside their clinical responsibilities. You are right to point to the proper studies though, anecdotes from a doctor are still just anecdotes.

Define many lol. People with big research responsibilities very likely have a PHD, and there are simply not that many given out in every graduating class of physicians. Physicians have little to no research training. Of course physicians are used to administer tests and report back to the head researchers. My point was that generally you don't fucking listen to physicians concerning "science." Most of them (or a lot) in the USA are evolution deniers, have no research training, cant do a statistics problem, etc. They are largely just highly trained technicians. I don't mean to come across as argumentative though...we're on the same page.

and that's the problem. GGI isn't really interested in learning how things actually work, because it's hard work and doesn't always lead to a nice juicy conspiracy he can masturbate over.

Yeah...

Define many lol. People with big research responsibilities very likely have a PHD, and there are simply not that many given out in every graduating class of physicians...

Working for one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world I'm surrounded by more PhD's than you can imagine. You can't trow a stick without hitting a dozen or so :)

Seriously this whole doctors prescribing prayer is one of the more silly speculations I've read in this thread. While I'm certain there are some doctors that will tell patients it can't hurt, I just don't see a whole club forming around the idea that it's better than tried and true medicine or even what could be called adjunct therapy.

Working for one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world I'm surrounded by more PhD's than you can imagine. You can't trow a stick without hitting a dozen or so :)

;)

I just mean compared to the number of medical degrees granted, the number of MD/DOs licensed to practice AND got a PHD is really small. Off the top of my head, there are probably an average class size of 150, and probably less than 10 are getting dual degrees.

;)

I just mean compared to the number of medical degrees granted, the number of MD/DOs licensed to practice AND got a PHD is really small. Off the top of my head, there are probably an average class size of 150, and probably less than 10 are getting dual degrees.

Actually a greater problem is the number of PhD's are outpacing research jobs available. If you do a search you will find the results of studies from the 10 year period between 1998 and 2008 when globally PhD numbers increased by 40 percent in that small window of time, all the while the number of research positions decreased. The problem is only being increased with many of these countries choosing austerity over investment thus reducing the amount of government sponsored research at the heart of many discoveries.