When

Sad Madrigal

Happy
Mar 22, 2008
This was the third Opeth which I had listened (the fiirst 2 were: Black Rose Immortal and To Bid You Farewell) and still remains my favorite song since 1998.
What do you think about this song, guys?:)

Cool song indeed. The growl explosion at the begining can scare the shit out of you if your not paying attention. :lol: Probably the best track on MAYH.

Yeah, I like this song very much. Lots of cool riffs and that "...To find my way back home" part gets me every time. Ends very nicely too. Only the acoustic middle-part is slightly lacking for me, but that's alright.

The first half is just incredible. I absolutely love that chunking riff about halfway through that explodes from muted to open chordage. mmmmmmmmm

Love it!

WHEN I first heard this song way back WHEN, I almost shit my pants!!

In the future though, to make this thread/topic more interesting, WHENever the word WHEN shows up, it should be in bold, colored CAPS. That's my vote anyway!!:D

My favorite part of When 5:04-5:40 "Graven Faced, She Called My Naaaaaame".....the high-hat work from Lopez, and the melodic guitar lines...just inspiring!

When has been my favorite Opeth song since 1998. I don't think they'll ever be able to write a song that tops it. My Arms is also the only Opeth album that I feel is 100% perfect as is. Still Life is a close second, but there are still a few changes in it that I would have made if I was writing the songs. But, I feel When is a flawless song from the lyrics to the music. Everything is phrased right in that tune and it does such a wonderful job of highlighting what Opeth is capable of writing.

As much as I love MAYH, I still believe Still Life is damn perfect.

When is definately the 2nd best track on it, but...

IMO nothing tops April Ethereal on that album. One of my favorite songs, ever.