Where did metal start?

Metal was born in......

• North America

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Europe

Votes: 49 87.5%

• Total voters
nergal_S said:
Metal music roots started in Africa, I say this because if you listen to old African music and pay attention to the drumming its fast like current metal drumming, and the vocals were harsh and violent a lot like death metal.

Yep, but that's irrelevant in this case. I doubt you ever saw an african playing a guitar and another african singing about raping corpses :p in other words, metal as we know it today didn't start in Africa.

Black Sabbath was the first group to use the Heavy stylings we now refer to as "Heavy Metal" exclusively in their music. Until then, other groups, such as Led Zepplin, had dabbled with Heavy Metal styles--although I don't think it was called "Heavy Metal" at the time.

But Sabbath took those stylings and put them to work full-time in their sound. Therefore, I give Black Sabbath credit for inventing Heavy Metal as a genre of music. But everyone should understand that Sabbath's "Earth-Shattering" debut LP (that's a pun--some will know what I mean) drew upon earlier groups as influences. Iommi himself will tell you that.

--S

I think that bands like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple or The Jimi Hendrix Experience were just some sort of the heavier rock bands of their time. The first real Heavy Metal band was indeed Black Sabbath which started none less than 3 sub-genres: Heavy Metal, Doom and Stoner Rock. That's why my vote goes to Europe. But still I believe that without those earlier Hard and Heavy Rock bands from America there wouldn't have been a basis upon which Black Sabbath could have built their empire. And the roots of those Rock bands were clearly settled in (Rhythm'n')Blues wich came from the blacks whose ancestors were originally from Africa. So I guess, that in a certain way Metal has always been something international. And I like it that way.

If you people don't agree that Hendrix inspired metal, I will have to leave.

Fuckin' HENDRIX.

Tell me his riffs were not metallic.

Europe (England). It really depends on what you consider metal. IMO none of the Woodstock/hippie American bands were metal, including Jimi Hendrix's band. The first true metal band was Black Sabbath IMO. I wouldn't even say Led Zeppelin were metal; they were hard rock. So England was definitely the birthplace of metal; starting with Black Sabbath and continuing with Priest, Maiden, and the whole NWOBHM movement.

nergal_S said:
Metal music roots started in Africa, I say this because if you listen to old African music and pay attention to the drumming its fast like current metal drumming, and the vocals were harsh and violent a lot like death metal.

Where can i hear this old African music?

England. Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Budgie and Deep Purple, the bands many (including myself) hold responsible for planting the metal seeds were from England. Also alot of the bands that influenced them were from England, like Cream and The Who are british. And let's not forget the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal!!! But i must say, America has also been influential too, with bands like Ted Nugent, Blue Cheer, Iron Butterfly and Montrose helping with the creation of early metal. I'd also say Grand Funk Railroad had a small hand in it too. So, i guess i'm saying they BOTH had a big part in creating metal, but with England being the bigger and more influential of the two.

Life Sucks said:
Europe (England). It really depends on what you consider metal. IMO none of the Woodstock/hippie American bands were metal, including Jimi Hendrix's band. The first true metal band was Black Sabbath IMO. I wouldn't even say Led Zeppelin were metal; they were hard rock. So England was definitely the birthplace of metal; starting with Black Sabbath and continuing with Priest, Maiden, and the whole NWOBHM movement.

You can't get a first "true" metal band-
I think that all guitar led music evolved metal basically- so from that hard rock (Hendrix, Zep, etc) stemmed metal then the genres of metal.

You can't really pin point the start. While knowing the Beatles drew from all they heard (eg from Dylan who took from Woody Guthrie, from blues etc etc) I think Paul encapsulated a lot in "Helter Skelter"-if you've not heard it I urge you to consider doing so!The vocals and everything! OK they in turn probably took this style from someone else BUT brought it to the masses!
But then John also discovered Punk with songs like "Polethyne Pam".

If you look at it broadly America was inhabited by all nations anyway so everywhere but America evolved metal!:tickled:

Try to track down a book called "The Death Of Rock And Roll". Basically, it's a book about people in rock and popular music back to the earliest days of recorded music. It shows where they came from, and what their influence was. Oh yeah, and how they died... Anyway, what I've figured from that is a number of bands from very different backgrounds on both sides of the Atlantic came up with a similar sound and similar ideas at around the same time.