• Europe

Votes: 49 87.5%

• Total voters

Thanatopsis123

白鬼
Oct 13, 2002
日本
Visit site
So, what do ya think? I read something not to long ago where an author said metal began in post-industrialized middle America. The guy really seemed to know what he was talking about, was a music grad student i believe, and had spent a very long time researching and writing the book.

On the other hand, I've heard a lot of people on this board state their firm belief that it was started in Europe (England more specifically). So, where would you consider the birthplace of metal?

Hard to say exactly when "metal" music started, many point to Led Zepplin I and Black Sabbath I as starting points (Sabbath "paranoid" album put the "heavy" in metal with tracks like Iron Man etc.)

On the other hand at the same time and earlier there were tons of heavy garage rock and psychedilic trip type groups in USA whose music could be considered metal, many never became famous however.

From your description sounds like author is referring to groups like STOOGES, MC5 etc.

Metal music roots started in Africa, I say this because if you listen to old African music and pay attention to the drumming its fast like current metal drumming, and the vocals were harsh and violent a lot like death metal.

Europe. England started like...everything. Metal with Black Sabbath. Black Sabbath was also the first doom metal band. The NWOBHM is seen as classic heavy metal now...and some of the NWOBHM bands could probably be called power metal... Venom was probably the first thrash metal band... as well as the first black metal band. America probably takes death metal though...

People being much too simplistic here. Even if you say Led Zepplin I is first metal album it didn't come out of nowhere, why are not these earlier American groups also metal:

BLUE CHEER
AMBOY DUKES
JIMMY HENDRIX
IRON BUTTERFLY

They can be just as heavy as Zep, there is no clear definition of metal
and there were many equally heavy American groups that preceeded Zep.