Where do you see Opeth in five years?

Pethical said:
its quite sad that some of you are being so pesimistic. i hope that opeth keep going from strength to strength.

Opeth was formed in 1990. Right now they have been together for 16 years and in 2011 that will be 21 years. There are very few bands who stay together anywhere near that long so expecting them to disband at some point really is not so much pessimistic as it is realistic. Then there's the added factor of the classic Opeth lineup (or the classic lineup MK II if you want to consider the Orchid/Morningrise lineup the real classic one) that is now gone with the addition of Per and the kicking out of Lopez. And the fact that Mikael has a family now.

I don't even think it would be so bad for them to quit. I'd rather see Mikael quite while he's ahead than first releasing a few more albums of D1/D2-or-worse quality before finally stopping. They've released 8 albums, 6 of which range from great to brilliant. They've had a good run.

I'd love to see them keep going strong and by that point. I'd hope for maybe 2 more albums, and I'd like to think there's still good time left for them.
But I do hope they dont pull a Rolling Stones; being dead in my opinion for 10 years, but still releasing dog shit.

JoeVice said:
in an interview, didn't peter say that they had signed a four record contract?

Hey JoeV haven't seen you around lately! Yeah I recall a 4 record contract as well, and I don't think they would have signed it if they didn't think it was realistic. i mean, they had families when they signed the contract didn't they so they knew what they were in for. I think maybe pull back on the touring, release albums and wind up after those 4 (or 3 if GR was counted). I think Mike will continue making music in little sideprojects as stated before but perhaps the other members will retire completely.

CAIRATH said:
Opeth was formed in 1990. Right now they have been together for 16 years and in 2011 that will be 21 years. There are very few bands who stay together anywhere near that long so expecting them to disband at some point really is not so much pessimistic as it is realistic. Then there's the added factor of the classic Opeth lineup (or the classic lineup MK II if you want to consider the Orchid/Morningrise lineup the real classic one) that is now gone with the addition of Per and the kicking out of Lopez. And the fact that Mikael has a family now.

I don't even think it would be so bad for them to quit. I'd rather see Mikael quite while he's ahead than first releasing a few more albums of D1/D2-or-worse quality before finally stopping. They've released 8 albums, 6 of which range from great to brilliant. They've had a good run.

Didnt he just leave.

Yup. If I had chronic stress, depression and a blood disorder, I'd think twice about continuing with a tour into 2007 and recording a whole lot of albums. If he's doing his own project now that's cool. He can take his own pace.