Where do you think it should be?

input appreciated! Spring break is about a month long though, and different weeks in many areas, so it's likely this would effect possibly 25% or more of the draw in some way, positive or negative. For my part it was positive (last year), because, I made a festival out of a family vacation and did both ; ).

My main goal with Spring Break was simply to do something in a warm part of the Country for the "Fans of this musical genre" that may have some time to get the heck out of Dodge. I live in Minnesota, I can tell you by that time of the year, I'm ready for some sun in a big way and willing to pay more for it. If I wanted the younger folks, we'd do this thing on the beach somewhere ; )

BUT that said, Car rental was freaking OFF THE HOOK, three times the normal cost for a week. It was insanely expensive!

Lance,

Please do not count out Chicago or Illinois for that matter. I realize that Chicago Powerfest is here but their roster doesn't appeal to everyone either. Nothing against them at all. I think they do a great job. Their fest is more heavy heavy. If you brought more melodic heavy it would be a totally different thing. And their are MANY venues here, too many to even list. in the surrounding Chicago suburbs. Think about it bro!

-Sean

Chicago is iffy for any festival.
Show attendance is hit or miss.

I think the problem these days with any festival is that there is more competition than ever as underground metal grows in popularity everyday.

Back in the day, people would travel to fests like Milwaukee Metalfest, since it was the ONLY place in the states to see the bands they brought it.

Nowadays, even with the biggest US festivals like Prog Power, festival appearances are just another stop on tour (Sure, this is certainly not the case for EVERY band, but a lot of them).

I would say shoot for an area where metal is big, but doesn't have as many touring bands come through.

Nashville, TN has some great clubs from what I hear.
Also, that's an area where locals go to all kinds of shows, as live music is the main source of entertainment. I know there are places there like the Muse, Exit Inn, etc. Also, there are clubs around Vanderbilt University.

An all ages Prog/Power metal festival in Southern California would be great. We have a pretty nice scene around here for this kind of stuff, Barfest is great but Northern California might as well be Canada with our traffic.

An all ages Prog/Power metal festival in Southern California would be great. We have a pretty nice scene around here for this kind of stuff, Barfest is great but Northern California might as well be Canada with our traffic.

Now see If you can get a list of venues willing to do this and post it for us or send a PM.

What are people thoughts about SAN ANTONIO, TX ? Or should I be going for a larger City base? There are a lot of Metal heads in Texas, and it's warm.

Zod what are you doing with school that you couldn't make it, going or teaching?

For what I'm planning this year, it will be worth the effort, I promise.

Having lived in Texas for more years than I'd care to admit, I've always thought/heard San Antonio had a rabid metal fanbase. Unfortunately I'm never lived in SA and so I don't have any personal experience or hands on knowledge about either A) the validity of that statement or B) potential venues. Aside from seeing King's X and Living Color there back in the late 80's/early 90's (and that was tagged onto a family vacation during Spring Break oddly enough) I don't have much to offer you in that regard, Lance.

However, SA has a lot of touristy destinations - The Alamo, Sea World and Six Flags Fiesta Texas (amusement parks, both open in early March,) The Riverwalk and the Alamo Dome that will attract hordes of people during Spring Break. You will draw people from Dallas, Houston, Austin, Waco (and maybe even one or two from El Paso - HA HA) for a decent festival lineup without much trouble. Metalheads in Texas often time complete what is known as the "Texas Triangle" for major concert tours - that is made up of Dallas, Houston and San Antonio but in truth, Maiden avoided Dallas on their recent tour only hitting SA and Houston so maybe Dallas is out and now it's a Texas Two-step? :lol: (I still saw 'em though as I have family in Houston.) :headbang:

Anyway, that's my selfish assessment... Texas would be a good place for a festival and it won't be 107° in March.

Having lived in Texas for more years than I'd care to admit, I've always thought/heard San Antonio had a rabid metal fanbase. Unfortunately I'm never lived in SA and so I don't have any personal experience or hands on knowledge about either A) the validity of that statement or B) potential venues. Aside from seeing King's X and Living Color there back in the late 80's/early 90's (and that was tagged onto a family vacation during Spring Break oddly enough) I don't have much to offer you in that regard, Lance.

However, SA has a lot of touristy destinations - The Alamo, Sea World and Six Flags Fiesta Texas (amusement parks, both open in early March,) The Riverwalk and the Alamo Dome that will attract hordes of people during Spring Break. You will draw people from Dallas, Houston, Austin, Waco (and maybe even one or two from El Paso - HA HA) for a decent festival lineup without much trouble. Metalheads in Texas often time complete what is known as the "Texas Triangle" for major concert tours - that is made up of Dallas, Houston and San Antonio but in truth, Maiden avoided Dallas on their recent tour only hitting SA and Houston so maybe Dallas is out and now it's a Texas Two-step? :lol: (I still saw 'em though as I have family in Houston.) :headbang:

Anyway, that's my selfish assessment... Texas would be a good place for a festival and it won't be 107° in March.

Good observation, my brother, now get down to SA and find us a Venue.

Being from Chicago area that would be my vote. Lance, good point on the car rental costs. Where ever you book it, it should be accessable via public transportation from an airport and close to lodging. That's what makes ProgPower great in Atlanta. Sure it costs money for a flight and a hotel room but getting around is easy via the train and close hotels. Another reason Chicago is a good idea is you can find bargin flights and you can get just about anywhere by train and/or bus.

Okay, how is this for a venue, THE SCOUT BAR in San Antonio, 800 to 1000 capacity, plus outside patio. great stage, lighting, and terrific sound system. Waiting for a call back from the owner.

Okay, how is this for a venue, THE SCOUT BAR in San Antonio, 800 to 1000 capacity, plus outside patio. great stage, lighting, and terrific sound system. Waiting for a call back from the owner.

Sounds like a good spot amenities wise... make sure to find out where its located (i.e. hopefully not in a bad neighborhood.) :saint:

Oh, and one other benefit I forgot to mention about SA... it's not that far of a drive for the rest of the Krucible boys to meet you there, Lance... as well as Six Minute Century and Magistral to name a couple more bands with whom you are "vaguely familiar." :lol:

If we're talking Texas...I say stick with what we know...Houston. We know the metal fan base is huge there..though my fave place to see bands is too small for the criteria you are looking for..the Meridian would be the right size me thinks and I know they are having to do their own bookings now..so this could be something that would be right up their alley so to speak

I had Texan friends mention the White Rabbit in San Antonio. I don't have an personal experience, but it might be worth checking out.

If we're talking Texas...I say stick with what we know...Houston. We know the metal fan base is huge there..though my fave place to see bands is too small for the criteria you are looking for..the Meridian would be the right size me thinks and I know they are having to do their own bookings now..so this could be something that would be right up their alley so to speak

The Meridians's rental price is too high over $5,000 for three nights plus all the extras, plus Houston traffic, and the distance from the airports makes it a no-go. FBI is too small and again too far.

YOU ALREADY HAD THE FEST???WHAT DO YOU WANT TO KNOW??I HEARD LANCE KING LIKES TESTAMENT-HINT HINT-WHAT ABOUT POUGHKEEPSIE NY-HINT HINT

This idea just keeps floating around in my head... and it may not be the best idea but I am gonna put it out there anyway.

I would still love to see a Moondance Nightmare Fest. Bill & Kathy Bieloh do a great job with the country jams and the regular jams. (Might free up some of the work for ya Lance.) Big stage, Tons of room, camping, lodging around the area. You could have it during the late spring, summer or fall. There's some great publicity already because of the Moondance Jam (going on the 18th year)and Country Jam (relatively new I believe going on the 3rd? year). They have had some great acts already so having special guest acts would be possible too.

The possible downs... if you wanted to keep it around the dreary months of winters end... it wouldn't work. It's Northern MN so not sure which airport people from the other states, UK and France use to get over here for the jams but they come from all over the world currently for the jam.

I was just at the Lincolm Theater venue in Raleigh to see Firewind play live during their recent US tour. I was very impressed with the venue itself. It was just the perfect size and the sound system was impecable. The venue looked great inside and in the stage area. Very nice!! There was lots of parking space available right across from the venue and also right next to the venues building. Everything about this venue was just great. Plus, Raleigh is a big enough city to accomodate a good size crowd. There are plenty of great hotels and good restaurants. We also have the Raleigh-Durham International airport nearby that provides easy access to Raleigh. It can also be easily accessed by drive either from the Northern or Southern states, since we are right in the middle of the way.

You can check the Lincoln Theater venue at their MySpace site: http://www.myspace.com/lincolntheatre
The site for the Raleigh-Durahm International Airport: http://www.rdu.com/

There are other equally good or even better venues in Raleigh that could also be used for the Festival. I could find out more about them if there is any interest in using this location.

Lily

This idea just keeps floating around in my head... and it may not be the best idea but I am gonna put it out there anyway.

I would still love to see a Moondance Nightmare Fest. Bill & Kathy Bieloh do a great job with the country jams and the regular jams. (Might free up some of the work for ya Lance.) Big stage, Tons of room, camping, lodging around the area. You could have it during the late spring, summer or fall. There's some great publicity already because of the Moondance Jam (going on the 18th year)and Country Jam (relatively new I believe going on the 3rd? year). They have had some great acts already so having special guest acts would be possible too.

The possible downs... if you wanted to keep it around the dreary months of winters end... it wouldn't work. It's Northern MN so not sure which airport people from the other states, UK and France use to get over here for the jams but they come from all over the world currently for the jam.

Penny,
Obviously Minneapolis / St. Paul would be easiest for me to do this in, and I plan to do something here. I know the market best
and the clubs etc, the coolest rooms to do it in, and the ones to avoid, where to advertise etc. It would be fun to do it outdoors in the summer,But there in lies a whole host of new issues to deal with unless it's done with and existing fest.

I've heard a lot about the Moondance Jam, Rob Kruger is doing quite a bit of production up there for that both backline and PA and Lighting I believe.
Seems like a lot of fun, do you think the promoters would be open to doing something a bit more obscure for a stage?
I think it would be a great opportunity much like Rocklahoma was,
I'm not sure it's Nightmare fest, but it would be cool for the label bands to be part of and get in front of a lot of new faces with a crossover market appeal.

Naturally thought of Houston first, but after playing there, a few times and seeing bands at the Meridian, and the load in for that (second floor venue)
and how small FBI is, and the distance from the Airport etc, it seemed best to look elsewhere