Where the hell was I??

actordude

Sep 29, 2003
SoCal
In this vast and expanding world of hard rock and heavy metal, there always seems to be one or two bands that falls under my radar and missed. One of those bands is GOTTHARD. I know they have been discussed here on these them boards, and yet I just never got around to listening and/or purchasing any of their stuff......until now.

I just found a copy of Domino Effect at a local store here in SoCal and picked it up. Where the hell have I been in regards to these guys???!!!! This stuff is great and right up my alley.....

I need more - please throw any suggestions of their catalogue my way.

Thanks much!!
Drew ~

Make sure to pick up the first 3 Gotthard albums. They are awesome!

1. Gotthard-Gotthard
2. Gotthard- Dial Hard
3. Gotthard- G

And their live DVD/CD "Made In Switzerland" is also very cool

I just found out about this band a few months ago and I'm thinking the same thing. This band smokes. I would love to see them at PP sometime. Maybe all this talk about them will change Glenn's mind. :)

The first CD I heard from them was the latest, Need to Believe. I really like that one. I got G after some recommendations but I think I like Need to Believe better. I'll have to check out the others listed above.

I swear I am the only person who loves Need to Believe. Really I love the last three. Everywhere I go people are blowing the early stuff but no mention of the more recent ones, which are actually my favorites.

I swear I am the only person who loves Need to Believe. Really I love the last three. Everywhere I go people are blowing the early stuff but no mention of the more recent ones, which are actually my favorites.

I'm with you man. Domino Effect is my fave and Need To Believe is very good too. Not that I don't like the early stuff, but the new discs are heavier and better for me.

I'm with labrek. I keep hearing from people that older Gotthard is heavier than newer Gotthard, but I just don't understand it. I think their more recent discs are definitely the heaviest. Tracks like "Unspoken Words" are definitely heavy.

I'm not saying the new stuff doesn't have some heavier moments. However, they are far and few compared to the old stuff. I love all of it, but I'll call a spade a spade. Let's jump past the 20 second opening riffs of each song and compare overall:

Your selection (good opening riff, starts to go polished around the 55 sec mark):

My rebuttals:

or

or

Last edited by a moderator:
LOVE LOVE LOVE this band. "G" was my first cd from them, and still my favorite. But I've enjoyed every one of their cd's. "Need To Believe" is fantastic.

I'd argue that point with you until I'm in the grave.

Gotthard started out as an honest to goodness hard rock band in the vein of alot of early 90's bands. As the decade wore on they moved closer and closer to a more "contemporary" sound. Basically, they've been stuck in the same ol' Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, Bon Jovi mode for quite sometime now. :erk: I liked them better when they were trying to mimick Whitesnake.

~Brian~

Gotthard started out as an honest to goodness hard rock band in the vein of alot of early 90's bands. As the decade wore on they moved closer and closer to a more "contemporary" sound. Basically, they've been stuck in the same ol' Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, Bon Jovi mode for quite sometime now. :erk: I liked them better when they were trying to mimick Whitesnake.

~Brian~

Try again. I hate those bands and love new Gotthard. It's not the same thing.

In response to Glenn - I guess I just don't get it. I mean obviously I will say there is a difference, but I definitely don't think it's a change in heaviness, just a shift in style. I agree that the older stuff had more of an AOR/hair metal sort of vibe to it, and the newer stuff has more of a polished hard rock sound to it, but I don't think one is any heavier than the other, they're just different - and I happen to prefer the latter.

~Brian~

Did you just compare Gotthard to Nickelback? Wait here a minute...

(goes to get blunt instrument)

Seriously, Gotthard is so classy and talented that comparing them to the butt-est of buttrock bands is inexplicable.