where...

JACKO

Jul 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
where does everyone get their metal cds and merch from?
im quite interested to know what other people do
i usually go to either JB at parra or redeye in the city and sometimes utopia
havent yet used any mailorder though, what are some good ones?

THE END RECORDS!!! http://shopping.theendrecords.com/theomega

you've probably already seen countless advertisements for this place on Ultimate Metal, now go there!!! They are american based, but they are fucking cheap, and usually very fast with the postage. And they're having a sale right now too, AND!! the US Currency is worth practically nothing right now, so you can get a lot more for your money than usual.

I also shop at Metal Mayhem and JB in Melbourne.

Oh yeah, Modern Invasion can be good sometimes too.
http://www.moderninvasionmusic.com/ExtremeAggression

The best place for metal in Melbourne is Metal Mayhem without a shadow of a doubt. I usually shop there once a month and pick up four or five albums. I love the atmosphere of that place, and that plump dude who works there is a funny cunt.

Other than that it's Camberwell JB.. or if I feel like a drive, Nunawading JB. MM is the best though.

requiem said:
The best place for metal in Melbourne is Metal Mayhem without a shadow of a doubt. I usually shop there once a month and pick up four or five albums. I love the atmosphere of that place, and that plump dude who works there is a funny cunt.

Other than that it's Camberwell JB.. or if I feel like a drive, Nunawading JB. MM is the best though.
How much are the CD's at Metal Mayhem , $30 + ?

sentience_withers said:
THE END RECORDS!!!

I'll second that. They've got some amazing bands on their label, lots of stuff in the store and they're always quick and reliable. The other online store I order from frequently is Earache's - they're fucking quick and cheap too.

MetalMeshuggahMan said:
JB Hi Fi is the best place to go for metal cds because their the cheapesp, but for Stoner rock the only good place is Heartland Records :( only place that i know of that has a stoner rock section :(
If I go into an actual shop to buy CDs it's usually JB as well... I'll have to check out this stoner section at Heartland though, hehe.

requiem said:
Metal Mayhem has a great range but I've given up on shopping there, mainly due to the prices and the service (or lack thereof.) The "plump dude" is one of the most rude cunts I've ever met, even one of my mates (a good customer there) was told to fuck off when he asked if he could listen to something.

Me: "Hey, how much is this? It's got no price tag."
Him: "Aww, uh, $33."
Me: "$33 for an EP?" (which would've cost about $12 to order from the label...)
Him: "Yeah but you know those kinda bands, all their songs are really long."

Then when the Dimmu Borgir DVD was released there was a lot of confusion as to what was the limited edition and what wasn't... I was assured that the one I was buying was the limited edition one and guess what?

I think the only reasonably priced thing I've ever bought from there was Satyricon's home video, I think it was $25 or something.

Missing Link, now there's a store that's genuinely interested in helping out the local scene.

About Metal Mayhem, the c.ds have certainly gone up lately. Not long ago they were mostly floating around $26-28 but you'd be lucky to find anything under $30 nowadays. Shirts have gone up too. A longsleeve is about $60!! I'd never buy a dvd there unless it was really rare and unavailable elsewhere.

Having said all this, I still love the place. A couple of bucks here and there doesn't matter, and I find that plump guy rather endearing. As for service, the other guy (owner?) gave me fifty cents of each c.d when I bought four. Not a huge saving, you'd say, but the fact is he didn't have to do it and it was a nice gesture. Plus they're all very careful with the disks etc rather than just throwing them into the tray.

Of course, if you want to make a querie about something they usually have no idea.

Me: Are you getting this album in?

Them: What label are they on?

Me: This label

Them: We usually get all their stuff. Are you sure it's out.

Me: Yes.

Them: Just keep sticking your head in to see if it arrives.

Me: ok...

They should have a computer or something so they can look up titles for you. Plus if they had the capacity to order things in it'd be heaps better.

Of course we can always order on the net, but it'd be better for their business if they did ordering as well...

They had the Cephalic Carnage 'Exploiting Dysfunction' shirt on their internet list and when I got my mother to ring them up to buy it over the phone (was using her credit card and this was after emailing Nick first!!!) whoever was on the phone told her that they didn't have any Cephalic Carnage shirts available and the band didn't actually have any shirts anyway. I rang up staight after that and it must have been the same guy cause he got shirty with me.

I'd bought all my shirts and a few disks from there but that was the last time I spoke to them. Pity cause Nick had always been good.

I always thought they did ordering, albeit poorly. A few years ago I had waited about 5 - 6 months for them to get a My Arms Your Hearse t-shirt in and I eventually just gave up, went in and asked for my deposit back.

Heh I've still got that keyring they sent out to people in 1998 though, which supposedly gives you 5% discount every time you go there but I dunno if they're still doing that.

eye too have to agree that stuff is way to expensive at metal mayhem, particularily when you only have to walk 5 mins up the road to get the same disc/lp for probably 8-10 bucks cheaper at the other stores mentioned here.
Further still, the mail-order (thru aussie distro's) still remains the cheapest way to get the shit you need!

promos or i buy stuff from Pet Sounds or Psyclone Soundz in Townsville

Chow Mai Dong said:
[/color]

I'll have to check out this stoner section at Heartland though, hehe.
do u know of its location? i only found out about it from mates, its right across the road from the victoria market.
elizabeth st is on the right side of the market, and heartlands is on the left side.

i haven't bought anything from there yet as i have no money :D, but once i do im gonna get some Firebird.

ON PRICE INFLATION:
what the fuck is with that? metal jumpers use to be $45 at Smoke Dreams but last time i checked their going for like $100 :OMG:

also what is up with the bottom floor being changed into a tattoo parlour? its fucked, and their cd range has gone down drastically, its hardly even a metal store now :(

ON METAL MAYHEM:
i've never had a problem really, but i do really hate that fat cunt, and i assure as to many others that i have talked to, every bit of bad feedback that i have heard about the joint has to do with him.

is nick the young fella with blonde hair? cause that guy kicks arse, he is like ya local milk bar guy who u appreciate being served by. :headbang:

If you're after a great underground metal distro on the net, try www.redstream.org. I've ordered twice from there, and the order (from the US) got here in under a week on both occasions. Also check out the prices. With our dollar doing so well, most c.ds are $11US which today equals $14.30Aus. I recently bought three disks from there and including postage it only cost me $50.50 Australian. The same three c.ds in Metal Mayhem would have cost me about 90 bucks. It's almost half price....