Where'd the name Symphony X come from?

they just put the X there because they thought it sounded cool, it only coincidence that it is also Beethovens last symphony.

I figured the X was pretty meaningless. And yes, it does sound cool. Too bad its been used a little too often. Lets see, in addition to Symphony X there is Brand X, King's X, Planet X, Eternity X, Static X, Generation X and of course X. Am I missing any?

yyzmoose said:
I figured the X was pretty meaningless. And yes, it does sound cool. Too bad its been used a little too often. Lets see, in addition to Symphony X there is Brand X, King's X, Planet X, Eternity X, Static X, Generation X and of course X. Am I missing any?

Malcolm X

x isnt really meaningless i dont think.. far as i understand its there to represent that symphony isnt all they do.. i dont know if i can explain it so well.. they are symphony + metal, prog, all the rest of it. so the rest of it, is the X ..

yyzmoose said:

"Charlie X"...It's not the name of a band but the name of an episode of Star Trek (original series). :p :dopey:

Actually, Beethoven only roughly sketched a little bit of a 1st movement for a 10th Symphony in his final days; but any semblence of a work never came to fruition- so there never was anything remotely close to resembling a 10th Symphony ever written. A large part of it is myth. So if you ever see a CD with a 10th Symphony on it- automatically reshelve it because it's pure bullshit. Beethoven wrote 9 Symphonies.

Now on to the name. I'm not so concerned as to what it means but to more importantly who thought of it...Romeo most likely.