Which album should I get next?

Mario86

Droogie
Apr 6, 2006
Milwaukee
Have been following CoB since Follow The Reaper came out, but stopped after Are You Dead Yet (which was still a good album imo). I noticed they had 3 albums since then and am wondering do any of them sound anything like their older stuff (is it worth picking up).

Everything up to AYDY I enjoyed, but my favourite was HCDR.

Blooddrunk has a very dark soundworld, there are lots of small key effects and little things, would say its like some dark melodic thrash. Allthough, be aware, that a lot of people consider this as one of their least favourites. I like it a lot.

RRF sounds really thrashy/americanized, but it is not a bad album. It has some nice moments (Shovel Knockout/Ugly i.e.) and some really interessting rhythm guitars (Probably the most interesting album in that direction). I don't like it as much but I wouldn't consider it bad.

Halo of Blood sounds like a mix between the 2nd-4th. Out ot these 3, it sounds like their older stuff the most.

I'm sure you have done it already/would do it, but try to look up some songs on YouTube. They're definitely good albums but we all have different tastes.

Blooddrunk has a very dark soundworld, there are lots of small key effects and little things, would say its like some dark melodic thrash. Allthough, be aware, that a lot of people consider this as one of their least favourites. I like it a lot.

RRF sounds really thrashy/americanized, but it is not a bad album. It has some nice moments (Shovel Knockout/Ugly i.e.) and some really interessting rhythm guitars (Probably the most interesting album in that direction). I don't like it as much but I wouldn't consider it bad.

Halo of Blood sounds like a mix between the 2nd-4th. Out ot these 3, it sounds like their older stuff the most.

I'm sure you have done it already/would do it, but try to look up some songs on YouTube. They're definitely good albums but we all have different tastes.

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of response I was looking for. I like Blooddrunk (track), but the rest of the album had very little melodic content from what i heard imo. And the few clips of RRF weren't much different. I'll have to check out Halo of Blood then! I miss the solos!

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of response I was looking for. I like Blooddrunk (track), but the rest of the album had very little melodic content from what i heard imo. And the few clips of RRF weren't much different. I'll have to check out Halo of Blood then! I miss the solos!

RRF is super melodic, in my opinion it has the most catchy melodies they have ever written. ex. Northpole Throwdown melody, Pussyfoot Miss Suicide chorus melody, Roundtrip to Hell and Back as a whole track

I think the biggest difference you hear between RRF and HOB is the dual tonality. With "Scream for Silence" on HOB and on RRF you hear the two guitars play different chords (like one plays a while the other plays e) which combine to form a whole different sound quality which you only hear on RRF. Rhythmically, RRF is more of what you have come to associate as the all american rock sound. But dual tonality is unique to this album. Then on HOB I think most of the songs return to a more Blooddrunk quality, but evolved in a way. The sound is more like what I would call gothic without being all out goth metal.

I recommend you buy the latest album Halo of Blood especially if Blooddrunk was really your thing, and then if you like the track "Scream for Silence" you can check out RRF.

Maybe it IS a cheap trick for achieving dual tonality like some have said, but it is also hilariously funny to switch monitor volumes on the lead singuer then watch them try to stay in one key. And it does not require a secondary dominant unless you want to have a resolution to one key. Dual tonality is not a new thing. It has been done a million ways from Beethoven to jazz. I would say that the major flaw inherent in RRF is that there is no resolution or development of any kind. It is like someone told the writer something evil would come to pass if the secondary dominant did not stay in Pandora's box. It is like one big forplay with no climax. A real tease.

But that is the state of the music industry today. People will threaten and do all sorts of bullshit to stifle the craetivity of the competition against their favorite artist. There is no real competition, no real artistic interaction or creative development. Every once in awhile someone grabs someone off the street and says 'make sure you do a pisspoor job so everybody will love my baby/brother/lover/idol again.'

If you do a good job, somebody will get pissed off, and try to kill your family. It's a cut throat world, the music industry. Literally. But if you have cojones grandes, and are not afraid of what you could lose then it is a great time to break into the scene. Because the stifling has effectively set the competition to easy mode, all you have to do is refuse to dumb down. You will get tons of fans. But you will also get tons of hate.