Which bass is better?

HateCrewDeathroll

Child Of Symphony
Nov 12, 2002
Lepond or Miller?

I have the Odyssey and The Divine Wings Of Tragedy. Both bass playing is great and I don't know Symphony X well enough to judge.

Tell me your opinions...
But I definitly think that Lepond is a great replacement.

Miller here. I just think his technique was more flashy than Lepond's. Not to say that lepond is not a worthy replacement, it's just that SyX lost something when Miller left.

Originally posted by Dado-x
Miller here. I just think his technique was more flashy than Lepond's. Not to say that lepond is not a worthy replacement, it's just that SyX lost something when Miller left.

here here. also (feels like im beating a dead horse) the lyrics are not as great without him.

I think Lepond does some really cool stuff, but sometimes it is hard to hear, because his tone isn't that great and it gets lost in the mix. He even said that he was disatisfied with his tone on V and that on Odyssey it was better, but still not where he wants it. Miller had a warmer tone and you can always hear his cool parts, like on DWOT.

I prefer this one:

lmb.gif

"Miller here. I just think his technique was more flashy than Lepond's. Not to say that lepond is not a worthy replacement, it's just that SyX lost something when Miller left."

All I've heard more "flashy" than the other would be the intro to Sea of Lies. Great bass playing. Now if you're talking about tapping, hammer-ons, you shouldn't. Although it sounds great, and Lepond has placed it in very well deserved places, it defiintley shouldn't make one or the other a "better player".

But, if you wanna gage one's playing to the other, you've gotta listen to Leponds playing on V, and go back and listen to Devine and Twilight to give you a really good idea. It becomes quite clear who the better player is. Lapond by far,
but...

...it does feel as if they lost a little chemistry when it comes to the vocal harmonies, however.

well if it wasn't 4 seeing them live in dec.. it would b hard 2 pick.. BUT!!! now that I have seen and heard lepond live, WELL.. D"""M What a bass player,, pulled if it great, and put on a very good show.. great w/the crowd!! got alot of people into it..
And besides that, he is one of the most," down to earth," musician I have ever met.. just a great, friendly guy,,w/a great talent!! :eek:

LEPOND ROCKS!!!

Oh and about the lyrics? I think they get better as they go!!
Miller is good, don't get me wrong, but I can't help but love the new stuff,, Allen writes really great lyrics, ya never know what he is goin to write about next,,lol :D

Originally posted by Dado-x

Since when was being "flashy" considered the most important aspect? I like both bassists pretty equally, but I like Miller's tone a bit more. Technically they are both very advanced. You can also hear LePond is able to play Millers stuff, like the tapped interlude/solo in Masquerade '98.

Cheers.

Originally posted by Bassmasta
Since when was being "flashy" considered the most important aspect?

The question is who is better. And with our limited hearing of the two of only a few records a peice and what live shows we've been lucky enough to attend, flashy is one of the main factors in deciding who is better.

Definitley not always the most important aspect, but an important one none the less. Which can pull off being flashy and maintain congruity and fluidity?

i have complette discorgraphy and know their songs in memory , but i think Muller was second crazy Romeo like on bass;)

Originally posted by Bassmasta
Since when was being "flashy" considered the most important aspect? I like both bassists pretty equally, but I like Miller's tone a bit more. Technically they are both very advanced. You can also hear LePond is able to play Millers stuff, like the tapped interlude/solo in Masquerade '98.

Cheers.

I wonder if Miller can play LePond's stuff.