Which Drum Samples Do You Find Yourself Using A Lot?

Frak

Nov 30, 2011
Perth, Australia
Hey guys,
Every man and his dog is selling his own set of drum samples these days, so I was wondering
which ones you guys are digging in circumstances where you can't track live drums at all - in a metal context.

Personally I've been using the Superior Drummer Avatar Kit a lot with the Metal Machine kick, china, and ride - but I'm looking to change it up a bit.

I face the same problem. I always reach for a couple of samples that I know that could save the problems of mankind and bring peace... Ok... save my mix, especially shitty snares.

http://vrmusicgroup.bigcartel.com/ and D4 for kick/snare. Haven't sampled toms in long enough for me to not have a go-to set, thankfully! Guy's (Greyskull) "Big Fat Kick/Snare" and "Big Rock Kick/Snare" are also great. Can't forget the LSD-Drums, usually end up with a kick or snare from that in the mix, too.

I also use rooms from the Evil Drums SDX and verb from Metal Machine a fair bit.

That said I try to not use the same samples on more than one project if I can help it.

http://vrmusicgroup.bigcartel.com/ and D4 for kick/snare. Haven't sampled toms in long enough for me to not have a go-to set, thankfully! Guy's (Greyskull) "Big Fat Kick/Snare" and "Big Rock Kick/Snare" are also great. Can't forget the LSD-Drums, usually end up with a kick or snare from that in the mix, too.

I also use rooms from the Evil Drums SDX and verb from Metal Machine a fair bit.

That said I try to not use the same samples on more than one project if I can help it.

Jeff's one of my best customers! I've got a full website up now and I am slowly moving to it from the big cartel site.
www.vrmusicgroup.com

Charles J's samples, Slate, and a Frankenfuck of other samples I've grabbed from this site, gotten from various friends or recorded myself. I ALWAYS blend, its keeps things interesting.

How do you go about finding the D4 samples, or samples from other drum modules/drum machines for that matter? Do you have to buy them, and if so where, or are they freely traded now? I know 808/909 samples can be bought from lots of companies, but I'm talking about samples that aren't geared toward Electronic music.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, I was just curious.

Jeff's one of my best customers! I've got a full website up now and I am slowly moving to it from the big cartel site.
www.vrmusicgroup.com

I still remember hating eachother on the Duncan forum for whatever stupid reason; I'm glad we found a common ground in kick/snare sounds. :lol:

How do you go about finding the D4 samples, or samples from other drum modules/drum machines for that matter? Do you have to buy them, and if so where, or are they freely traded now? I know 808/909 samples can be bought from lots of companies, but I'm talking about samples that aren't geared toward Electronic music.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, I was just curious.

I'm lazy:

It was this:

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2013/06/14/alesis-d4-vst-plugin/

was live for about 3 days, I was lucky enough to grab the VST version before Alesis had it taken down. Someone on KVR or something might have the files still but I haven't found them.

mostly charles j for kicks and snares, even in pop punk type mixes, get a good use for kicks and snares from drumagogs sample library for other stuff, for toms i use some sample we made in the studio a few years back, been using the SSD4 electronic kit for writing some electronic stuff recently that snare drum is a dream

It was this:

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2013...d4-vst-plugin/

was live for about 3 days, I was lucky enough to grab the VST version before Alesis had it taken down. Someone on KVR or something might have the files still but I haven't found them.
I saw this one too late and I would kill to have the files !
Unfortunately they're impossible to find online...
Don't know why Alesis don't want it to float around, as the D4 is discontinued and they don't sell the samples themselves.

Anyway, my go to samples are nothing original : Slate, LSD, CJ, for augmenting, sometimes Avatar mainly for rooms or if I need to totaly replace a shitty played/recorded snare, and also a lot of free samples from here.
Will check out this Nashville series, they sounds great on the demos.

I use mostly Slate and Sturgis samples, but I also have some others I've collected from this forum and the internet that I like to blend sometimes.

Using less and less samples lately, just enough to get a little flavour when I need it. But usually it's either Slate/ My own samples I've created from kits I've micd up :)

What are people using to get samples generated from midi phase accurate to the original audio?

Something about it I don't trust.....
Using Trigger2, looks like the issue has been fixed in this version.
Still in the editing process on a project and it's the 1st time I'm doing it (never trusted MIDI triggering before but didn't had the choice this time).
I need to bounce the files to check everything is accurate, but didn't noticed any issue by ear.

I regularly hide a ball clap here and there. It has become my signature.

Hero :lol:

for me it's Jacob's stuff (link in Jeffs post), especially the snares. Altho all of his samples are killer.
Then LSD (lasse), SD2 and Slate (plus CLA expansion).
And D4 of course, but not on everything.

Most of the time for me it's the natural snare (if real kit) or SD2 snare(s) (if programmed) as basis and then I always try to get different snares together that will do the job.
Altho I do know a fair bit of samples that will work for me most of the time, and I even have a few pre-cooked ones.
I always try to not make it sound too same-ish or use the exact same samples on more than one project.
If it works just too good then meh, but I'm not a fan of hearing the same snare on every record.

Unfo I don't have a large collection of quality kicks/snares/toms that I recorded myself yet, but the ones I did I love to use.