Which Drum Samples Do You Find Yourself Using A Lot?

Sounds like a lot of the sound comes from the (close) room & Overhead.
You'd be able to get close with blending something from SD2 for the room with one of the crackier Slate snares (altho those might not be raw enough for that tone)

Thanks! Haven't used SD 2 in years but i might try that. Right now i use SSD Snare 11 with quite a lot of room and tuned it 1,5 steps up. I also blended in the snare from Born of Osiris Machine. It's really cracky and pretty high tuned. Im pretty pleased with the result for now, it doesn't sound 100% like the WSS song but they cant expect that. Here's the mix btw: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82776193/Home_fullmix2.wav

I've been a Slate user in all of my productions for about two years now and love it to death. However, I've recently been finding a LOT of goodness in these other libraries that are sold on places like Big Cartel. Especially your's. I haven't bought them yet, but I may buy them soon. I definitely want to get your impulses. I'm budgeting for MULTIPLE things right now, so I have to kill my GAS for a bit...and it's so hard. :(

I did buy the entire Seraph library a while ago and am just now getting to use them, after some trial and error with different reverbs, which I personally like on my drums. I absolutely love these.

That´s great news! More than happy to make the TMF Family even bigger!

I always use the TMF samples in my mixes and to me its the most versatile pack out there. Sometimes blended with slate and other stuff but most of the time i find myself blending the samples within the TMF pack. I also find those deathkicks very usefull!

I always use the TMF samples in my mixes and to me its the most versatile pack out there. Sometimes blended with slate and other stuff but most of the time i find myself blending the samples within the TMF pack. I also find those deathkicks very usefull!

Thanks Andreas, you are one of those that supported my from the very beginning and I appreaciate it a lot.
I´ve just added a POD Farm preset bundle but I wonder which more items are you guys looking for? Any drum you guys are interested in?

Most samples are so loud. (Slate etc.) Almost peaking/clipping. Are you guys always inserting a trim plugin first to bring your samples down to around -18rms? And if everyone is, why are samples generally so hot.

Thanks!

Most samples are so loud. (Slate etc.) Almost peaking/clipping. Are you guys always inserting a trim plugin first to bring your samples down to around -18rms? And if everyone is, why are samples generally so hot.

Thanks!
You´re right, I find slate samples hotter than mine, but as we process drums on hardware I guess you got a better signal to noise ratio, also a lot of the warm comes from setting comprs and pres really hot ;)

You´re right, I find slate samples hotter than mine, but as we process drums on hardware I guess you got a better signal to noise ratio, also a lot of the warm comes from setting comprs and pres really hot ;)

That makes sense, and is what i figured the reason was for being "hot". So how do you go about starting a mix with samples then? Trim plugin? What levels are you generally starting with when beginning a mix. Example: i track a drum set, keeping levels moderate on the way into protools. Then i drop a kick or snare sample in and my mix is peaking/clipping with no headroom left on master bus. I generally lower the volume of the replacement plugin (drumagog, state, etc.) or i insert a trim plugin. Just curious to other peoples workflows.

I saw this one too late and I would kill to have the files !
Unfortunately they're impossible to find online...
Don't know why Alesis don't want it to float around, as the D4 is discontinued and they don't sell the samples themselves.

Anyway, my go to samples are nothing original : Slate, LSD, CJ, for augmenting, sometimes Avatar mainly for rooms or if I need to totaly replace a shitty played/recorded snare, and also a lot of free samples from here.
Will check out this Nashville series, they sounds great on the demos.

I've got a D4 sample pack from years ago, not sure if it's the same set as that plugin had going, though.

The Metal Factory / Seraphim / Slate.

Also the Chimaira samples, Paramore Kick and Snare, 006's samples and some others find their way to my works if there's a need for samples.

That makes sense, and is what i figured the reason was for being "hot". So how do you go about starting a mix with samples then? Trim plugin? What levels are you generally starting with when beginning a mix. Example: i track a drum set, keeping levels moderate on the way into protools. Then i drop a kick or snare sample in and my mix is peaking/clipping with no headroom left on master bus. I generally lower the volume of the replacement plugin (drumagog, state, etc.) or i insert a trim plugin. Just curious to other peoples workflows.

Never had that kind of problem, maybe Sonar handles bus headroom diferently, I usually have my shells tracks -10 db, so they´re peaking aprox -6, I have mixed over 4 years like that:headbang:

Never had that kind of problem, maybe Sonar handles bus headroom diferently, I usually have my shells tracks -10 db, so they´re peaking aprox -6, I have mixed over 4 years like that:headbang:

So if you drop hard hits of slate samples on a track they aren't hot? Mine are very hot almost clipping. I find most samples are, lots of the oneshot samples I find are also very hot. For example when I track/mix my live drum kit in protools I'm significantly lower in volume than the processed samples I drop on top.

Thanks for the reply

I mostly use a few I've recorded myself, namely a Pearl free floating brass snare, a Yamaha 20" kick and a PDP 22" kick. Now that I've got Trigger though, I'll pretty certainly start expanding. It's way more precise than apTrigga2 was for me, and manually checking every hit by hand killed me every single time.

I regularly hide a ball clap here and there. It has become my signature.

Also this :lol: bitcrush it and it's perfect for percussion.

I mostly use a few I've recorded myself, namely a Pearl free floating brass snare, a Yamaha 20" kick and a PDP 22" kick. Now that I've got Trigger though, I'll pretty certainly start expanding. It's way more precise than apTrigga2 was for me, and manually checking every hit by hand killed me every single time.

Also this :lol: bitcrush it and it's perfect for percussion.

How good does your Pearl Reference sound?? I´d kill to have one at the studio :kickass: