which drum software

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
I might have to buy some drum software...I always avoided having to use that stuff, but there's a project coming up where I'll have to use midi drums (outside mix, band is sending midi drums)...

which software is the best?
S2.0 ?

I have SSD, but that's practically useless, I'll need something that works hassle free

Not just because we're fully endorsed by Toontrack, but I feel that their products are much better IMHO. I <3 SSD and Steven's samples are amazing, but at the end of the day, I'll always go to SD2.0 simply for the sheer amount of flexibility and user control you have over it. I wouldn't say SSD samples are useless as people have produced great results using them, but at the end of the day, it's choosing the right sample that the project requires.

I will say that blending SD2.0 and SDD samples are great fun as well ;)

I didn't mean to say Slate's samples ain't good, they definitely are!
I just meant the software/Kontakt player thing is useless, not because of how Slate's stuff sounds (it sounds good!), but because the player is a pain in the dick to use.

I'm not a fan of Kontakt either which is my only turn-off from using SSD (the interface is pretty clunky and confusing at times). SD2.0's GUI is very easy to use and navigate so if you're looking for ease of work-flow, go for Toontrack handsdown

Join us ... joooooooooooin us ....

another vote for S2.0 and Metal Foundry.
i´ve got it here and really like it.

ps.
if you are into tom waits you could get the ezx twisted kit - total fun on e-drums:hotjump:

Jeffs idea would be better if you cant afford for the full licenses buddy!

do you know if they'll be humanised already before you get them ?

Lasse... just my $.02 worth... This is a topic I'm completely torn over and go back and forth with just about every week!

I own S2.0 and the metal foundry and many other expansions and midi from literally all over, I have SSD platinum and I have Addictive Drums with the Metal expansion. I love and hate each of them for different reasons. None of them are for me the end all be all, but me being a guitarist, I have to rely on software like this to record drums and write parts with.

Depending on the type of music you're going to be working on, Superior will probably be your best bet.

I am so heavily torn over SSD because I absolutly love many of the sounds in Steven's software, but I have had huge struggles with the Kontakt player, and I don't even have SSD or Kontakt installed on my DAW at the moment.

With Addictive Drums, I'll load it up, and it many times I love the sounds I can get out of it, but I have this mental problem using it because the norm is that it just can't compete. I will admit that I have a hard time getting the kicks to sound nice. I had high hopes for the Metal expansion, but those dreams quickly went diving into the dirt. I'm not a fan at all of the AD Metal snare.

Then there's Superior. I've heard amazing recordings with Superior but usually with the kick and snare augmented, but I feel the cymbols and toms in Superior are difficult to beat. Superior is complex and theres a lot to get your head wrapped around, so it might take you some time to get it sounding the way you want it to. I'm still struggling with it!

Until SSD4's release, Superior possibly mixed with augmented kicks and snares is currently the best option in my opinion.

Obviously I am biased, but I do honestly tend to prefer BFD2 to S2.0. The Superior sounds are really recognisable in a mix, and I'm just a bit tired of hearing it. BFD2 has a lot of expansion packs out there which are fairly cheap, so if the factory sounds don't do it for you, something else will. They sound more natural to me too, like a kit in a room and not like a half-produced drum-track.

It also just went 64bit as a public beta.