Which of these albums do you consider Metal Milestones?

Which of these albums do you consider to be true metal milestones?

• Arcturus- La Masquerade Infernale

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Amorphis- Elegy

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Edge of Sanity- Crimson

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Opeth- Morningrise

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • My Dying Bride- Turn Loose the Swans

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Emperor- Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Cradle of Filth- Dusk and Her Embrace

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Dimmu Borgir- Enthrone Darkness Triumphant

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • HammerFall- Glory to the Brave

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blind Guardian- Imaginations From the Other Side

• Cynic- Focus

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Atheist- Unquestionable Presence

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Voivod- Nothingface

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Entombed- Clandestine

• Carcass- Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious

• Ayreon- Into the Electric Castle

• Strapping Young Lad- City

• Fear Factory- Demanufacture

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Moonspell- Wolfheart

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Anal Cunt- 40 More Reasons to Hate Us

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
That was tough. I felt a little guilty voting for Wolfheart, but dammit.....I love that album!! I'm also ashamed to say it, but I've never heard Crimson. :( .....and I LOVE Purgatory Afterglow.

Elegy might very well be my favorite metal release of all time.

Very hard question because you put albums from bands that are not the best of them

example:

Amorphis - Tales from the 1000 Lakes is better than Elegy
Opeth - Still Life is the better one of them
All My Dying Bride are milestones
Emperor's is right, the best black metal album ever
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth is one of the best albums ever
And from Entombed one of the milestones of Death Metal without a doubt is Left Hand Path

So the fact that I vote for a lot of those albums is the fact that I love them, but the ones I put above are just BETTER

:hotjump:

Well the voting is skewed a bit because there are so many Opeth fans around here. Opeth's a good band, but I think Voivod and Carcass when I think in terms of Milestones! I voted for Voivod though.

I agree about Left Hand Path.
Also........there is no DEATH on there. Then again, which one would you pick? They practically set a new standard with each release.

If I could add a few to the list (...aside from Death), I'd probably add:
Nightwish - Oceanborn
Borknagar - The Archaic Course
Anathema - Eternity
Overkill - Horrorscope
W.A.S.P. - Crimson Idol
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
....and possibly Paradise Lost - Draconian Times

Originally posted by phyre
That should be Left Hand Path instead of Clandestine... And probably In The Nightside Eclipse instead of ...Welkin... too.

You may be right about Left Hand Path, but I just like Clandestine better.

As far as Emperor goes... I think Anthems really had a bigger impact on metal as a whole... Nightside was a black metal milestone for sure but seemed to not reach too far outside that scene...

It shouldn't only be 'In the nightside...' or even 'Wrath of the tyrant' instead of 'Anthems...' and 'Left hand path' instead of 'Clandestine', imho it should also be 'Tales from the 1000 lakes' instead of 'Elegy', 'Somewhere far beyond' instead of 'Imaginations...' and 'The principle of evil made flesh' instead of 'Dusk...'

...but that's only my opinion ;)

Purgatory Afterglow is damn good - but Crimson was revolutionary! I don't think there was an equally long or even longer death metal song before Crimson... And it has this special atmosphere...and the whole concept is amazing - it's perfectly merged with the music.

My favorite Entombed album has to be Wolverine Blues. Damn, those RIFFS!!

There's a few albums in there that could easily be classified as landmark, but my vote had to go with Emperor. "With Strength I Burn" is still their finest moment IMO, and showed a band who were at the top of their game. Unfortunately they couldn't sustain the momentum and the next two were more than a little disappointing. Good albums, but not "Emperor" good.

Other albums that could go there for me are "To Mega Therion" by Celtic Frost, "Nightfall" by Candlemass and "Don't Break The Oath" by Mercyful Fate. There's loads more, but I'd be here all day :)

Lee