which of these bands should I try first: Primordial or Agollach?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
(hopefully I spelled Agollach correctly)

So I've recently discovered the phenomenal band Enslaved and have heard from many reviews that these two bands are similar to the last three Enslaved records.

So which of these bands - and which CD in particular - is the best starting point?

Can someone describe the vocals in each band? I enjoy all vocal styles but I generally can't tolerate people attempting to sing in a 'clean' manner but fail miserably at it. I'd rather hear all black vocals than awful 'clean' vocals.

I don't know, but I don't think either band really sounds like Enslaved, though they're both good. I like Agalloch a lot better though. I'd recommend starting with their first album Pale Folklore if you enjoy a cross between Bergtatt era Ulver and the first Katatonia album.

As regard Enslaved, get some Arcturus (their last one would be a good place to start), the solo album of Ihsahn, and perhaps even some Akercocke.

Hope this helps.

batmura said:
I don't know, but I don't think either band really sounds like Enslaved, though they're both good. I like Agalloch a lot better though. I'd recommend starting with their first album Pale Folklore if you enjoy a cross between Bergtatt era Ulver and the first Katatonia album.

As regard Enslaved, get some Arcturus (their last one would be a good place to start), the solo album of Ihsahn, and perhaps even some Akercocke.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input. I've been into Arcuturus for years (although, for some reason, I still don't have their latest).
I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the Ihsahn and coupled with my dislike of his Peccatum project, I've avoided that, too. Is this very similar with Peccatum?

I've never heard a note of Ackercocke's music...shall I have to check them, as well.

I don't think any of those two sound so much like Enslaved. Primordial sound more like Enslaved than Agalloch I would say if i hade to choose. Acrturus like someone said is a very good band. Amon Amarth sound a bit like Enslaved to maybe. I really don't like either Agalloch or Primordial so I am very subjective with this message. :p

Ihsahn's solo album is his most progressive work to date. There are touches of his Peccatum project, some Emperor, and even earlier Mercyful Fate stuff. However, the whole music is rooted in a heavy King Crimson-like prog category. I think fans of the new Arcturus may enjoy The Adversary quite a bit.

Enslaved is sort of like a more blackened version of Arcturus with tighter riffing and more aggression, IMO, neither of which are attributes of Agalloch and Primordial. Primordial is very doomy, with lots of repeating, drony riffs, deep vocals and stuff. Agalloch, on the other hand, is folky black metal on the debut morphing into a post-rock type of music still retaining some of the black characteristics.

neither band sounds like Enslaved. but don't hesitate to check both bands, because they are woth it. Primordial is clearly my favourite band for some years.

Every cd from both bands is essential to me.
Primordial's first two are very depressive, having more in common with early Katatonia but some of the clean vocals come off awkward. The last three are pure adrenaline. Massive. Start with "Storm Before Calm". It has the blackest vocals and most intensity.

Agalloch's best is "The Mantle".

I think Primordial's vocals are excellent, screams but especially the clean vocals. I agree that you should get Storm Before Calm, that's a masterpiece imo. it's also more melodic than Enslaved

SoundMaster said:
(hopefully I spelled Agollach correctly)

So I've recently discovered the phenomenal band Enslaved and have heard from many reviews that these two bands are similar to the last three Enslaved records.

So which of these bands - and which CD in particular - is the best starting point?

Can someone describe the vocals in each band? I enjoy all vocal styles but I generally can't tolerate people attempting to sing in a 'clean' manner but fail miserably at it. I'd rather hear all black vocals than awful 'clean' vocals.

You should try that Opeth band. They have some amazing jazz infused parts with metal. although it pretty much rips off morbid angel.

That certainly sounds like it would be wacky as fuck. Opeth + Mr. Bungle. I can hardly even imagine it. (love both bands too)

agalloch are alright, but definitely overrated...especially on this forum. most likely because most the tools here think theres a genre called "forest metal" and because agalloch think theyre a bunch of forest dwelling gnomes or whatever horseshit imagery theyre onto now...people seem to have an affinity for that.

but definitely stay the fuck away from primordial...beyond overrated slop. listen to "in the woods" or "schaliach" instead. much better bands of that ilk.

primordial's latest album "the gathering wilderness" is worth a listen. it is better written and executed than anything by agalloch.